Holland America pulling out of Bermuda for 2019????

kazu

I just got an email from a friend who had a cruise booked in 2019 to Bermuda and their cruise has been cancelled. HAL is offering a bit of OBC to switch to alternate cruises (but not Bermuda) in that time frame. Their TA says it appears they are pulling out of Bermuda again.

I went to the HAL site to check for cruises to Bermuda and now, all that is showing is the 2018 cruises - nothing for 2019.

Here's the email my friend received from HAL via their TA. I have taken out a couple of words to protect their privacy but it does not impact the meaning. The email is below in red.

We greatly appreciate your clients choosing Holland America Line and we know they are looking forward to their cruise.

We are writing to let you know of a change we are making to our deployment that unfortunately impacts their cruise. The x Bermuda sailing your clients are booked on is being cancelled. We sincerely apologize for this change as we never like to disappoint our guests. We regret any inconvenience this may cause and would like to assist in reserving an alternate sailing.

We invite your clients to make a booking on any one the following voyages

I fail to see that this can have anything to do with HAL’s decision. 🤨

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I hope that it doesn't either. We want to go to Bermuda too. But there were some political tussles with Argentina a few years back over their policies. So some things outside of just tourism or safety issues can play themselves out in stopping cruising to certain destination.

Argentina refused to let HAL ships land in Ushaia if they had been to the Falklands, which disrupted a lot of itineraries. Later I see HAL started identifying the Falklands by two names - both the Malvinas and the Fallklands as apparently a compromise to keep both parties happy. In this case there is a moral/legal judgement recently exercised by Bermuda that some HAL passengers will find offensive so that may well be behind this deision.

Or it could be Bermuda like many other overly impacted ports are limiting port stops to the point it was no longer feasible to offer this run since it became the exclusive itinerary for one HAL ship. Just seemed strange to see these two other events so closely linked in time. Three actually, Venice also limiting cruise ships. Thought I would at least let people know what is currently happening in Bermuda since they did such a momentous about face on this issue.

Can't see why HAL unilaterally would not offer this popular cruise destination. Hope someone with more inside information can help us understand this unfortunate turn of events.

I fail to see that this can have anything to do with HAL’s decision. 🤨

I agree. Such issues ought to have no to little impact upon itineraries planned to such a pleasant cruise destination.

If true, I’m curious if Hamilton is prohibiting docking. They’re notoriously hostile to cruise ships.

They just shut their dock down for months for “emergency repairs” that a friend there says can have been done over the holidays or wait until next wimter’s slow season.

I agree. Such issues ought to have no to little impact upon itineraries planned to such a pleasant cruise destination.

Why are we assuming that IS THE REASON for HAL cancelling Bermuda cruises? Where does it say that is any considertion HAL put into their decision to cancel?

The 2019 world cruise was supposed to end with a stop in Bermuda. Everyone is disappointed as it breaks up the long voyage home

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ouch! That sounds like a HAL decision. Since Amsterdam is too big for Hamilton it's apparently not related to anything in town. That is a disappointment.

Roy

I cancelled my plans for a Bermuda trip due to the same sex marriage issue (beyond being anti-marriage, they're actively choosing to roll back citizens' rights). Such a decision could very well affect tourism. Just because you haven't heard of it or stopped to think about it doesn't mean it's not a possible factor.

Pacific Eden (S-Class Statendam) is transferring out of P&O at the end of April 2019. After a dry dock period, she will be sent to CMV. Is it possible that Veendam or Maasdam are to be sent to P&O to backfill this loss? The timeframe would make sense. If so, ships will need to be shuffled.

Granted, that is pure speculation.

Yes, it does appear that HAL is pulling out of Bermuda again.

It might even be for the same reason as last time: lots of competition

on that route, so more profit elsewhere.

Hey! Maybe bEwAbG's cancellation tipped the scales? ;)

Pacific Eden (S-Class Statendam) is transferring out of P&O at the end of April 2019. After a dry dock period, she will be sent to CMV. Is it possible that Veendam or Maasdam are to be sent to P&O to backfill this loss? The timeframe would make sense. If so, ships will need to be shuffled.

Granted, that is pure speculation.

The Veendam is shifting to Cuban and multi-week South American itineraries for 2019.

Why are we assuming that IS THE REASON for HAL cancelling Bermuda cruises? Where does it say that is any considertion HAL put into their decision to cancel?

If you'll re-read the posts that touch on this topic, the vast majority are assuming this is NOT THE REASON for HAL cancelling the Bermuda cruises.

If you'll re-read the posts that touch on this topic, the vast majority are assuming this is NOT THE REASON for HAL cancelling the Bermuda cruises.

Yep. But then, you know that "assume" is an acronym. That was my point.

I believe the Veendam will go to the Mediterranean to enable HAL to continue to sail into Venice. ;)

My DH has just spoken to our TA - as, although our travelling companions in Canada have been informed our cruise is cancelled, we have not. Our TA spoke to HAL who said the Veendam is being redeployed to the Mediterranean and that our itinerary will most likely go ahead on a different ship. They will keep us posted.