Hong Kong Taxis

hbe

Nope, not those red taxis. 4 adults & 3 suitcases in the trunk of those Toyotas.

via Nexus 5X Oreo 8.0 w Tapatalk, VPN secured.

With luggage I'd reckon even that'd be a pinch - mebbe no more than 3 + luggage.

As loeb's post, yes there are vehicles for 4 + 5bags - but you need to fix one up rather than just heading for a taxi rank on-spec.

JB :)

I found a page that has some really detailed information on Hong Kong taxis: http://www.hongkongextras.com/taxis.html - quite a lot of stuff that I never knew, simply having a fixed view that Hong Kong taxis are synonymous with that ubiquitous conventional Toyota.

All taxis would take four adults; it's the five bags that'll be the problem. However, given how cheap taxis are in Hong Kong, the answer is probably simply to take two taxis. No need then even to think about whether the taxi will be big enough.

Just remember when you ask for a price, the reply will be in Hong Kong dollars. Friend and I were taken aback the first day there when the cost of a taxi for what we knew would be a short ride was '$42.'

It wasn't until we turned it down and the taxi left that we realized we needed to divide that by almost 8 :D

It's unsurprising that a Hong Kong taxi will not be giving you quotes in a foreign currency!

I know! lol We just hadn't turned our heads around yet. We heard 'dollars' and still thinking US.

It was just one of those silly travel things that sometimes happens.

Just got back from Hong Kong, taxis are plentiful and cheap.

Why the stress of having 4 adults in a taxi, take 2. If going to / from the airport take the Airport Express.

As many taxi drivers have only a very limited knowledg of English, try to have your destination in Cantonese (Chinese).

I know! lol We just hadn't turned our heads around yet. We heard 'dollars' and still thinking US.

It was just one of those silly travel things that sometimes happens.

You should blame jet lag. It's always a good excuse for all my "just arrived here" idiocies. :D

I spend a lot of time in Hong Kong 4 to 6 trips a year. Taxis in Hong Kong are cheap and easy to use. But as others have said English is limited with some drivers. If you are staying at hotel get a business card it will have address in English and Chinese. Also every hotel is happy to write addresses in Chinese for you. Most taxis are Toyota Products, like Toyota Crowns. Hard to put more than four people in them but taxis are cheap. Also the MRT (subway) is very good easy to use and faster many times. Even the buses seem to be clean and on time.

We were just in Hong Kong. The front of the taxi says "4 persons" or "5 persons". We fit 5 people from Hong Kong disney to Kowloon with all of our luggage, they bungled the trunk closed and said this was "Hong Kong style" lol. You shouldn't have any problems,.

We fit 5 people from Hong Kong disney to Kowloon with all of our luggage, they bungled the trunk closed and said this was "Hong Kong style" lol.
Those bungee cords are actually really effective. It always looks :eek: but they've never failed to work for me when we've had to call on them - although to be fair we don't often have enough luggage on Hong Kong trips to actually need to use them.