Baggage transfer LAX - YVR

rowrow

Flying into LAX from Australia on one ticket booking to YVR.

Wondering if we need to collect baggage at LAX and recheck it in at Westjet for YVR or if baggage transfer is automatic.

Have received conflicting advice from past travellers thru LAX.

Wondering if we need to collect baggage at LAX and recheck it in at Westjet for YVR or if baggage transfer is automatic.

You are going to have to claim your bags when you go through customs and then likely give them back (they should be checked through to YVR so it is not really rechecking them) as you exit the customs area (I am assuming that you are on a Quantas ticket continuing on a Westjet code-share).

I say likely because while I have transited through LAX on international travel I have never continued on to another foreign country. I have done FRA-LAX-SEA with bags checked through on a LH/UA code share and my bags continued on after customs.

Best to check with your airline. If you are NOT exiting the airport at LAX (i.e. you are a transit passenger) you may not have to claim your bags. You will be sent to a transit lounge and your bags will be loaded directly onto your YVR flight. This is the way it's always worked for me on international transit flights.

However, if you do have to claim your bags and go through U.S. customs (can't think why you would though), it's an easy process. Fill out the form, claim the bags, pass through customs, had the bags off to the clearly marked position, and head down the hall for "transit" (not exiting) passengers.

However, if you do have to claim your bags and go through U.S. customs (can't think why you would though), it's an easy process. Fill out the form, claim the bags, pass through customs, had the bags off to the clearly marked position, and head down the hall for "transit" (not exiting) passengers.

You definitely have to pick up your checked bags at customs but as you said you give them back to continue the trip before TSA re-screening.

There is no such thing as "in transit" in the USA.

All arriving passengers need to go through USA immigration and have the proper documents for that.

After immigration you wait for your checked luggage to take it through customs.

IF you are on one through ticket you will hand your luggage back after customs and go through security and then go to your next terminal/gate for your 2nd flight.

IF you tell us which airlines you are using we can tell you if you need to change terminals. Some LAX terminals are connected by tunnels and some require that you go outside to get to them. There are a few countries that do USA immigration and customs at the home airport before boarding your first flight but Australia is not one of them!

Many thanks for your info.

We are on Qantas from Australia then transferring directly to Westjet for LAX-YVR on a combined one ticket booking.

Have about 2.5 hours to connect if Qantas is on time. The only concern we have is if the 2.5 hours was enough to connect after hearing some horror stories from others who have connected thru LAX. I expect it is ?

Hi again,

We generally suggest having 3 hrs for your sort of transfer but 2 1/2 is doable given normal circumstances.

You will arrive in the Tom Bradley Terminal and will have to walkoutside to get to Westjet at Terminal 2.

There is a bus going from one terminal to another but you might find it faster to walk. You will go through security again at Terminal 2 . You should be able to just hand your checked luggage back after customs and walk only with your carryon.

Here is a map of LAX:

https://www.flylax.com/en/-/media/FlyLax/PDFs/Getting-Around-LAX/LAX-Air

Just letting you know that when I say "we" I mean folks that post on the Airline forum at Trip Advisor. It is slightly unusual to give this sort of advice here on a cruise forum so glad I noticed your question.

Edited by riffatsea

Good advice, thank you all. We live and learn by sharing.

Agreed...thanks all for the info. I've done plenty of "in transit" passages in Asia, but as a resident of the US I've did not realize there is no such thing here.

Thanks to all.