Help with visiting Greece after disembarking in Piraeus

jajsmom

Next year, we are on a cruise that includes the Greek ports of Corfu, Crete (Chania), Mykonos, and disembarks in Athens (Piraeus.) We will have a few days to see Athens, and I'd really like to go to Santorini too. What is the minimum number of days we would need to do this?

Can we see both Athens and Santorini in 3 days, flying to Santorini? And what would be the best way to do this? Should we disembark and go straight to the airport to spend time in Santorini, returning to Athens and then fly home? Or would it be better to see Athens first, then fly to Santorini and then fly home? I thought my husband would be able to get more time off of work, but he'd like to limit our time after the cruise to 3 days, 4 maximum.

Thanks.

By 3 days you probably mean 3 nights which only gives you 2 full days. You will not do justice to either in the time you have. Pick one and plan to come back in the future. Go for quality, not quantity.

I completely agree. It's so tempting to cram too much in. With such a short time you'll waste a lot of it in the logistics.

I'd suggest you stay and enjoy Athens -- there is plenty to do in the vicinity to occupy three days and flights from Athens should be easier to arrange.

Thank you marazul and cruisemom42. I'm still hoping to convince DH to take more time off of work, so we can get to both. Our cruise starts in Rome, and it has taken us 25 years to get back there, so not sure when we'll be in the area again. Everyone locally we talk to says we have to go to Santorini. But how could we go to Greece and not see the Acropolis?

If you must do both you can contact a private taxi. Many of us used PK Travel Greece. Have them pick you up from ship, drive you to Acropolis and wherever and then to airport for Santorini if there are late afternoon flights. Meanwhile your luggage is in the trunk. But if you are going through all the trouble for Santorini make certain you are there for a sunset.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums