Did something happen on the Statendam?

CruiseList

I saw a tweet earlier (since deleted) from a family member of the ship's crew that suggested there was a two hour power outage on the Statendam due to a fuel pump failure. Is anyone onboard that can confirm this?

Edited by CruiseList

I don't any Master would dialogue on his/her public blog about such a sensitive and potentially serious issue as ''losing power''.

Capt. Albert is no different.

I read his blogs and ''all is well...weather is just fine...we're on time....etc.etc..'' and they were indeed on time today in Ketchikan., and in Juneau.

A group of regular ''watchers-observers'' here at the Pier in Vancouver has observed a consistent '' unconventionnal '' aft propulsion hardware behaviour each and every departure since May....some of it referred to here.

So, clearly, Statendam is ''nursing a weebit of a cold''......Drydock session January ....can't come soon enough.

She's kept her schedule almost perfectly all summer...so it is not ''that serious''....but losing all power for a couple of hours has to be ''worriesome'' ( to use a polite word....)

Cheers

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Did the crew say what the problem was? Was there any compensation offered?

Also, I think I just validated my cruise related social media surveillance system! Can't believe how far in advance I found out about this!

In case anyone is interested, I did a write-up on how I found out about this.

Thank you for this information. What an interesting thing to do - I don't tweet and know pretty much nothing about it or what is possible. I have bookmarked your site and so hope you keep it up.

While I understand, from a business point of view, why such info is suppressed, it sure makes it difficult for anyone who makes decisions based on information to do so. I can't make a good decision if I don't have the facts and when I have to deal with the consequences of a "bad" decision, I come away with a negative opinion of the experience.

CC provides us with anecdotal information and I appreciate both the good and the bad reports.

I don't get your remark at all!:confused: Why in heavens name would compensation be offered for a two hour power outage?

Betty

It's the bit about the cheese sandwiches being served in the main dining room that I think deserves a bit of compensation.

Thanks to bcd2010 and lorekauf for the kind words! I'll be more vigilant with my update schedule.

Statendam is cruising the Inside Passage today. Not sure I'll see much social media traffic from her. Unlike Carnival, I tend to only see tweets from HAL ships when they're in port.

Edited by CruiseList

It's the bit about the cheese sandwiches being served in the main dining room that I think deserves a bit of compensation.

So what if they only had cheese sandwiches, they didn't starve the Psgrs. Perhaps a glass of wine might have been offered with the sandwiches but compensation? That's absurd!

Betty

I was on her and yes they lost all power.

Cheese sandwich on white bread in MDR

Your cruise list shows you on an earlier cruise (Sept. 9). This was, based on another thread, followed by the land portion of a cruisetour; so you wouldn't have been on the 9/16 cruise. OP's post concerned the current Sept. 16-23 cruise.

Was there also a power outage on the Sept. 9 cruise? Or was the intercepted tweet not about the 9/16 cruise?

Edited by Jemima
punctuation

Your cruise list shows you on an earlier cruise (Sept. 9). This was, based on another thread, followed by the land portion of a cruisetour; so you wouldn't have been on the 9/16 cruise. OP's post concerned the current Sept. 16-23 cruise.

Was there also a power outage on the Sept. 9 cruise? Or was the intercepted tweet not about the 9/16 cruise?

Great research Jemima and a good question. If I am correct Statendam will be back in Vancouver tomorrow. I've already set up my software to look for any tweets around the port there and will of course keep everyone apprised.

On a happier note, I did find some videos of the Statendam's crew from the late 60's and another from more recently. What a difference 40 years makes!!!

I too find the website interesting. Wish I had his computer smarts.

very interesting website - looks like a lot of work - and a lot of good info. Thanks for sharing

You both are entirely too kind! Thank you so much.

Edited by CruiseList

This Statendam has had odd electrical issues for many years. I recall sitting at the pier in Vancouver, BC in 2003 and not being allowed to embark because they had to (in their words) "Reboot" the Statendam. :confused: I don't recall ever being on another ship that had to be "rebooted" before or since that time.

For many reasons, it was the first and last cruise we ever took on her.

Edited by localady

This Statendam has had odd electrical issues for many years. I recall sitting at the pier in Vancouver, BC in 2003 and not being allowed to embark because they had to (in their words) "Reboot" the Statendam. :confused: I don't recall ever being on another ship that had to be "rebooted" before or since that time.

For many reasons, it was the first and last cruise we ever took on her.

Too funny:D.

The power problem sure seems to have been going on for a long time. The last time I sailed on the ship was Oct 2009 and it was having problems then. It has had a drydock since then.

We boarded the Statendam the day that you disembarked, during our cruise the Ship also experienced power outage.