How to do Athens post cruise 2 nights only

Moxiefurball

so we will be in Athens post cruise for 2 nights in Athens. Which means really only 1 day 1/2 of touring.

First the cruise ship I believe gets in at 7 Am, so assuming off ship by 10 can we get to Acropolis and Archeological museum and do them justice in that afternoon.

If so what would you recommend for 2nd full day in Athens.

Would really love 3 nights there but probably due to work can’t swing another day.

Will appreciate all comments

Actually I noticed the cruise ship arrives Athens at 4 am. So now I’m thinking we can leave ship early like 7 or 8 am, get a prearranged tour to acropolis and museum, then go to plaka, and watch sunset from that famous hill.

Then maybe next day take a tour to Cape Souinion and Poseidon Temple.

Based on my 2 night timeframe and early disembark from boat it’s looking this can be done. Thoughts?

• 5 weeks later...

I can comment on your second day plans!

We just got off a cruise ship in Athens about 10 days ago. We booked a private vehicle (for 7 of us) which picked us up at the port with our luggage at 9am. We headed up the coast towards Cape Sounion. Several of our group wanted to stop for coffee, so our driver found a café right on the water/beach for a morning stop. We had a 9-year old with us, and there was a playground right next door for him.

We continued up the coast to the temple. Only 3 wanted to go to the temple, so the rest of us were dropped at the beach below. We paid for some chairs/shade and enjoyed some time at the beach. The other 3 joined us after.

When we were done with the beach we headed out for lunch. Our driver found another nice restaurant overlooking the water.

We finished with a drop-off at the airport at 4pm. We were continuing our trip to Corfu for a week.

We booked this through PK travel. Our driver spoke excellent English and totally tailored our day to what we wanted to do. We all really enjoyed the day.

My thoughts:

Get off the ship early, arrange a taxi to take you to your hotel (pick something very central) and drop luggage there. You won't be able to check in.

Walk to Acropolis and see it early and first. Then walk through the Greek and Roman agoras (you can download Rick Steves podcasts for some of this, or use his walking tours in his books...). Especially don't miss the small museum onsite at the Greek agora (in the reconstructed stoa) and the Tower of the Winds at the Roman agora.

Eat lunch near the Roman agora, which is on the edges of the Plaka.

Visit the Acropolis museum in the early afternoon.

Go back to your hotel; check in, rest a bit.

Walk or take the metro to Syntagma Square, watch the changing of the guard there and have a drink at the top of the Grande Bretagne hotel with great views of the Acropolis.

Eat dinner around Syntagma area and head back to hotel.

Day 2:

Hire a private driver to take you to Corinth in the morning. You can see the Corinth canal (brief stop) enroute.

Have driver drop you off at the Archaeological Museum back in Athens. Tour it, then use metro to get back to your hotel.

Late afternoon, wander in the Plaka and have a nice farewell dinner.

Edited to add: While Cape Sounion is nice, I'd leave it for a second (or third) visit. There are many more interesting things in Athens and most people don't take the time to do them.