One week to go... and here comes the sick

MichaelCMTX

Let's see if anyone has experience in this:

We board a week from Sunday. Having been in this body for 50 or so years I recognize the signs of an upper-respiratory "thing" starting to manifest itself. Great timing :rolleyes: !

I definitely don't want to be one of those people barred from boarding because of a runny nose and coughing at the port.

By next week this all may have blown over and I'd be fine, but I'd rather check my alternatives at this point and avoid a Dallas-to-Galveston-and back drive and on-the-hook for the price of the trip. Especially if part of that involved "you should've said something at the first sign of trouble."

And it will be asked, YES we have Travel Insurance. The TA's back in the office Monday to comb thru the details. The last policy I had noted a refund in case of an illness "so disabling as to cause a reasonable person to cancel their trip." I wouldn't call an upper-respiratory thing "disabling" but my guess is the folks at the port have serious issues letting me aboard to be confined closely with 3500 or so others.

Any advice from the collective wisdom of the group?

Generally the health forms ask you 'do you have one of these symptoms and a FEVER', so if you don't have a fever you will be fine.

If you do develop a sickness go visit your doctor get what ever medication you may need. Also ask for a note saying that you are fit to travel.

From my observation the cruise line seem to be more concerned with gastrointestinal illness then with a simple cold.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Forums mobile app

What exactly are you concerned with - the cruise line turning you away or that you are too sick to travel? Can't you just go to the doctors and confirm you are not contagious? That should help with the cruise line. Also I am sure many people board with runny noses and coughing, most of the time that is just allergies.

Given you've spent bucks to pay for a cruise, I would hit a medical professional now for diagnosis and treatment. Respiratory, strep, sinus, viral, bacterial... get the pro's opinion.

I've gotten to the point that upon arrival at the doctor when I'm sick, he asks me if I'm heading out on vacation, since that is usually when I'm in there....

My "story" is I'd rather see a medical professional in the states as opposed to experiencing the medical system of a remote Caribbean island. The doctor chuckles, agrees, and writes the script that makes me feel better. Ironically, last time was 1 day after getting home from Oasis where I had a new diagnosis of strep from ship's doctor. Vacations and their related planning can be stressful and you body reacts.

Now, to get out ahead of the bashing.... I know some island's medical systems can be good. But, some I would rather not experience in my lifetime. I've used the ship's doctor before for strep and was very happy. And I do carry trip insurance with primary medical and substantial evacuation coverage.

Been there, except with Disney trips!

My advice.. if you have a doctor you have a good relationship with who knows you, knows you're not a pill-chaser... I'd get in ASAP and let them know you're likely coming down with something and you're traveling soon. Especially a cruise where you're likely to spread it to others! They might go ahead and call in a script for you, like a Z-pack, just in case. Normally something like that will knock the cooties out in a day or two, and you won't have to go about your cruise feeling miserable. Also, some insurance plans have a "video chat" doctor, who you can schedule with for free, and get scripts. I prefer this to visiting a germy doctor's office, especially before a much anticipated vacation.

If you don't want to go that route, go to the pharmacy and get the Mucinex that you have to show your ID to get. Take it as directed, drink LOTS of water, and sleep as much as you can. I find the Mucinex (but it HAS to be the kind folks use to make meth with, lol!) will often head off the infection. It's expensive kind of, but it works! That, and the flo-nase stuff, you can get that OTC now.

Last trip to Disney, DH and DS ended up at an urgent care.. it was expensive, it pretty much cost us 3 days of our vacation (DH was sick for longer).. plus they "shared the love" with the rest of the family after a few days.

What is an "upper respiratory thing" ?

Nasal congestion and running, productive cough, sore throat and gravelly voice.

Ironically, about what's happened by day 5 or 6 of some of our 7-day cruises. Zicam has helped.

What's specifically different in this case is a couple times I kept it pretty concealed, figuring "maybe they give me a pass on the cruise, but we flew half-way across the country on a ticket booked separately, that money's gone." This time, though, at least since its a drive the transportation cost is no factor.

Being miserable in a Grand Suite would be preferable to being miserable at home, but it's also a lot pricier. I'm certainly working/trying/hoping on getting better, but surely someone's got some worst-case experience advice?

Been there, except with Disney trips!

My advice.. if you have a doctor you have a good relationship with who knows you, knows you're not a pill-chaser... I'd get in ASAP and let them know you're likely coming down with something and you're traveling soon. Especially a cruise where you're likely to spread it to others! They might go ahead and call in a script for you, like a Z-pack, just in case. Normally something like that will knock the cooties out in a day or two, and you won't have to go about your cruise feeling miserable. Also, some insurance plans have a "video chat" doctor, who you can schedule with for free, and get scripts. I prefer this to visiting a germy doctor's office, especially before a much anticipated vacation.

If you don't want to go that route, go to the pharmacy and get the Mucinex that you have to show your ID to get. Take it as directed, drink LOTS of water, and sleep as much as you can. I find the Mucinex (but it HAS to be the kind folks use to make meth with, lol!) will often head off the infection. It's expensive kind of, but it works! That, and the flo-nase stuff, you can get that OTC now.

Last trip to Disney, DH and DS ended up at an urgent care.. it was expensive, it pretty much cost us 3 days of our vacation (DH was sick for longer).. plus they "shared the love" with the rest of the family after a few days.

These are excellent suggestions!

I went to the doctor yesterday because a sore throat one day lead to an upper respiratory infection in a day! I was able to get a steroid shot and some decongestant and voila I’m feeling a lot better today already. I was also told it was due to weather change and NOT contagious so maybe a quick trip to a meeting express can get you feeling 100% by cruise time

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was exposed to strep 24 hours prior to boarding a ship once. I called my doctor and he called in an Rx for antibiotics just in case... Thankfully nothing ever came of my exposure but I sure was glad to have that bottle with me while on vacation. It never hurts to just go prepared.

There's plenty of practical things to do to help with the respiratory "crude". Skip dairy and sugar for several days. Use a sinus rinse. Gargle with hydrogen peroxide. Use some over-the-counter meds/sprays to knock it out before it gets you bogged down and feeling icky.

And several years ago, I did go to a doctor a week before my cruise saying I could feel the nose/throat stuff coming on. I got a prescription and took it as needed.

Enjoy your cruise!

Patti

We seem to pick up a respiratory bug every time we cruise! In fact it has almost put us off cruising, we have been so ill. It usually hits us halfway through or even just after we get off, so it must be from all the germs that folk bring onboard. I think the a/c helps spread germs too. It wasn’t helped on our last cruise when we were sitting in the middle of a long row in the theatre & a woman behind us coughed & sneezed all the way through the performance. In hindsight we should have left at her first nasal explosion, but we felt we couldn’t disrupt all the others in the row. I realise folk are not going to miss their cruise if they feel they just have the sniffles —but can anyone give me advice on how to avoid their germs short of wearing face masks throughout the whole journey :eek:

This was nearly my exact situation this past weekend. We were due to sail out on the Brilliance of the Seas on Monday from Tampa, a short drive from our house, and I had developed the upper respiratory thing on Saturday. It didn’t get better by Monday so dialed up the video chat with the doc to get him to fill out the required medical report to submit to the insurance carrier as I can’t stand being sick on a cruise. The weird thing is, RCCL couldn’t cancel my booking at that point becuase the manifests had closed, but they said I would show up as a no show and I could file my claim after the cruise returns. I noticed today that they had cancelled my drink packages and dining packages so that money came back quick. I filed my claim with AON yesterday since I know it takes them weeks to resolve so I didn’t want to waste any time. I too started the Mucinex on Monday per doctors orders and it’s now Friday and I’m starting to feel better. It definitely would have been a waste of cruise as I know I would have pushed myself in the ports and wore myself out worse than just sitting at home this week.

Good Luck!

As others have said-get to a Dr. ASAP. After getting medical advice and perhaps a prescription for antibiotics you will start pre-cruise you should get to feel better.

Then, determine if you have recovered enough to enjoy the cruise.

Also check with your TA about your trip insurance coverage.

A question to all fellow cruisers who are afraid of getting sick. We have cruise booked for the end of October. We have paid final payment and bought travel insurance. We are due to get our flu shot around that time. Say you do come down with the flu, there really isn't much medication you can take to make you feel better. On most travel insurers, is that a valid reason for cancelling? I'm sure the cruise line would not want you on board and if you did have the flu, it would be a wasted cruise. Anyway, just supposing?

We cruised about a year ago, by the time I got home I had pink eye in both eyes, a fever, a double ear infection and an infected throat. We are cruising in December. I'm taking Airborne beforehand and Mucinex is going with us. Weirdly enough I'm the only one in our family who ever gets sick on vacation. And I'm religious about washing my hands & using hand sanitizer.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Forums mobile app

Let's see if anyone has experience in this:

We board a week from Sunday. Having been in this body for 50 or so years I recognize the signs of an upper-respiratory "thing" starting to manifest itself. Great timing :rolleyes: !

I definitely don't want to be one of those people barred from boarding because of a runny nose and coughing at the port.

By next week this all may have blown over and I'd be fine, but I'd rather check my alternatives at this point and avoid a Dallas-to-Galveston-and back drive and on-the-hook for the price of the trip. Especially if part of that involved "you should've said something at the first sign of trouble."

And it will be asked, YES we have Travel Insurance. The TA's back in the office Monday to comb thru the details. The last policy I had noted a refund in case of an illness "so disabling as to cause a reasonable person to cancel their trip." I wouldn't call an upper-respiratory thing "disabling" but my guess is the folks at the port have serious issues letting me aboard to be confined closely with 3500 or so others.

Any advice from the collective wisdom of the group?

I have been in my body more than 50 years .The last time I had a cold was March ,2015 .

If you exercise ,eat healthy ,do not drink or smoke you will not have to worry about getting colds.

What exactly are you concerned with - the cruise line turning you away or that you are too sick to travel? Can't you just go to the doctors and confirm you are not contagious? That should help with the cruise line. Also I am sure many people board with runny noses and coughing, most of the time that is just allergies.

If you are cruising from Texas, yes allergies!

There's plenty of practical things to do to help with the respiratory "crude". Skip dairy and sugar for several days. Use a sinus rinse. Gargle with hydrogen peroxide. Use some over-the-counter meds/sprays to knock it out before it gets you bogged down and feeling icky.

And several years ago, I did go to a doctor a week before my cruise saying I could feel the nose/throat stuff coming on. I got a prescription and took it as needed.

Enjoy your cruise!

Patti

Why dairy and sugar? And Hydrogen Peroxide straight? :eek:

Giantfan13

Yesterday 07:02 PM

A question to all fellow cruisers who are afraid of getting sick. We have cruise booked for the end of October. We have paid final payment and bought travel insurance. We are due to get our flu shot around that time. Say you do come down with the flu, there really isn't much medication you can take to make you feel better. On most travel insurers, is that a valid reason for cancelling? I'm sure the cruise line would not want you on board and if you did have the flu, it would be a wasted cruise. Anyway, just supposing?

Get your flu shot NOW...don't wait until the end of October. They are available, and being encouraged, to get before October.

Why dairy and sugar? And Hydrogen Peroxide straight? :eek:

Get your flu shot NOW...don't wait until the end of October. They are available, and being encouraged, to get before October.

Yes, dairy products create mucus and sugar weakens the immune system.

I was surprise to hear the hydrogen peroxide remedy but I have used it for years and it is inexpensive. I just gargle with hydrogen peroxide "straight". I don't swallow any. Afterwards, I rinse my mouth with water so that my teeth don't become "tingly".

Also, drinking warm water/lemon juice/honey helps with the digestive track. A healthy diet and plenty of sleep would be a plus also.

I use these tips as soon as any symptoms start creeping in. I may then add some over-the-counter meds if needed. I seldom go to a doctor or use prescription drugs for the nose "crude".

Hope this helps!

Patti