Disabled Cruise Travel
Cruisers with physical limitations share their advice & experiences.
Cruise Critic Disabled Cruise Resources
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:49 AM.
Port St Lucie , Fla
130 Posts
Joined Jan 2002
My daughter had a kidney transplant last week, we are planning a "celebration" cruise on Celebrity in Aug 2018, we have been given the OK by doctors as long as she continues to do well.
They have suggested avoiding large , close crowds,
Is it possible to request skipping the large muster drill where so many people are jammed together and do it privately ?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Nancy and Mike
Maine
11,780 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
Originally posted by Nancy717
My daughter had a kidney transplant last week, we are planning a "celebration" cruise on Celebrity in Aug 2018, we have been given the OK by doctors as long as she continues to do well.
Is it possible to request skipping the large muster drill where so many people are jammed together and do it privately ?
You can contact the special needs department and request the special needs muster station. This is for those with mobility issues, etc, and typically one companion will be allowed with the special needs person.
Port St Lucie , Fla
130 Posts
Joined Jan 2002
Originally posted by chengkp75
You can contact the special needs department and request the special needs muster station. This is for those with mobility issues, etc, and typically one companion will be allowed with the special needs person.
Thank you
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Nancy and Mike
Milford, Ohio,usa
2,045 Posts
Joined Sep 2000
Originally posted by Nancy717
You may (and probably can) avoid the muster crowd but what are you going to do about EVERYTHING ELSE on the ship. Dinner, shows, elevators, buffet lines, tours on crowded buses. You will have crowds everywhere. I think the muster is the least of your concerns.
Fredericksburg, va. USA
84,617 Posts
Joined May 2001
You have an entire year to get the meds right..she should be just fine by then...what a lucky girl. My husband has been on the list for 2+ years.....
Having a transplant is so you can LIVE your life...and she should! Have fun!!!
Port St Lucie , Fla
130 Posts
Joined Jan 2002
Originally posted by cb at sea
You have an entire year to get the meds right..she should be just fine by then...what a lucky girl. My husband has been on the list for 2+ years.....
Having a transplant is so you can LIVE your life...and she should! Have fun!!!
We spoke with the transplant team at Johns Hopkins and they have given us the green light as long as she continues to do well.
They are aware of all the issues related to a cruise ship, and have made a few suggestions to limit exposure, the muster drill being one.
She will not eat from the buffet and we will do private tours with just our family.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Nancy and Mike
St. Louis MIssouri
119 Posts
Joined Aug 2015
Hello
I would definitely take out travel insurance and it covers if u are unable to take the cruise.

Coming from a person who has had a kidney transplant for 30 years. Regardless were you go use sun screen and hat to avoid sun burn even when it is cloudy outside.

Also I suggest packing meds in a carry on with the prescription bottles to avoid delays at airport security.

PM me if you have any other questions
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

October 2016 7 day W Med Harmony of the Seas
July 2005 7 day E Caribbean Disney Magic
June 2001 7 day W Caribbean. Granduar of the Seas
Sep 1996 4 day Bahamas Royal Caribbean
Delaware, USA
2,934 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
My husband received a kidney transplant 13 years ago. I always travel with at least an extra WEEK of medication in case of any unexpected delays in return back to port. Heaven forbid being delayed without his anti rejection meds. The ship could probably handle insulin needs but anti rejection, I doubt. Enjoy and congratulations on your daughter's new life. Donation is important.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Calamity Jane
"Why didn't we discover cruising earlier in life?"

RCI Sovereign of the Sea, October 24-27, 2008

Carnival Legend, February 7-14, 2010
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...5826&highlight=

Review of Crusing with the Miracle Maniacs, Carnival Miracle
January 30 -February 7, 2011
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1371837

Review of Our Cruise on the Carnival Valor,
Jan.15-Jan.21, 2012
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1558535

Review:Maniac Reunion Cruise on the Carnival Breeze
March 2- March 10, 2013
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1809932

Review: Freedom 12-13-14 to 12-21-14 Cruise, Calamity Jane; Shrimp, Seuss and Say It Isn't So
Revised Part I with a link to Part II
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2142676

Review: Calamity Jane Takes PRIDE (11-15-15) In Having NO Calamities
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2292021

Review Of NCL Epic Cruise 2-11-17 to 2-18-17
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2466603

Email me at
[email protected]

St. Louis MIssouri
119 Posts
Joined Aug 2015
Originally posted by Delta Dear
My husband received a kidney transplant 13 years ago. I always travel with at least an extra WEEK of medication in case of any unexpected delays in return back to port. Heaven forbid being delayed without his anti rejection meds. The ship could probably handle insulin needs but anti rejection, I doubt. Enjoy and congratulations on your daughter's new life. Donation is important.

That is what my wife does as well it is interesting that we both do the same thing

Continued health for the OP and all those who received an organ transplant and those still on the list

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

October 2016 7 day W Med Harmony of the Seas
July 2005 7 day E Caribbean Disney Magic
June 2001 7 day W Caribbean. Granduar of the Seas
Sep 1996 4 day Bahamas Royal Caribbean
Santa Fe, Texas
2,570 Posts
Joined Nov 2011
My daughter had a kidney transplant in 2006 when she was 21. We've been on several cruises since then ans she's done just fine. We do the muster drill inside. Just check in with the person with "the clipboard" outside, then go back in and find a seat. She's never caught anything or been sick on a cruise. We do avoid areas of a lot of congestion or anyone who might be coughing, etc. And she never touches the utensils at the buffet. She tells me what she wants and I make her plate. We love to cruise and as long as she's able to go, and her Dr. says it's ok, we'll cruise!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Norwegian Sea - Nov '00
Rhapsody of the Seas - Dec '04
Carnival Triumph - Jan '12
Mariner of the Seas - Dec '12
Navigator of the Seas - Dec '13
Navigator of the Seas - May '14
Navigator of the Seas - Dec '14
Liberty of the Seas - Dec '15
Rochester, New York USA
207 Posts
Joined Jan 2000
Hooray for you and your daughter! My husband was on dialysis for 4 1/2 years, and we continued to cruise because we love it! Advance planning and good choices made it work and so worthwhile. It’s all about quality of life.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Judie
Santa Fe, Texas
2,570 Posts
Joined Nov 2011
Originally posted by Judie
Hooray for you and your daughter! My husband was on dialysis for 4 1/2 years, and we continued to cruise because we love it! Advance planning and good choices made it work and so worthwhile. It’s all about quality of life.

Thank you! My daughter was on dialysis for 2 years. We were blessed when they found a kidney donor for her.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Norwegian Sea - Nov '00
Rhapsody of the Seas - Dec '04
Carnival Triumph - Jan '12
Mariner of the Seas - Dec '12
Navigator of the Seas - Dec '13
Navigator of the Seas - May '14
Navigator of the Seas - Dec '14
Liberty of the Seas - Dec '15
Rochester, New York USA
207 Posts
Joined Jan 2000
I’m so glad a donor was found for your daughter! Jack was never a candidate for kidney transplant because he had prostate cancer 5 years before diagnosis of kidney failure. Any previous cancer, other than skin, means you can’t be on the list where we live.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Judie
Sunny Arizona
539 Posts
Joined Apr 2002
Go for it! My husband had a kidney transplant almost 5 years ago. We went for a cruise 14 months after his transplant. We asked about the handicapped muster station. Once we located that, I went to our regular muster station with our cruise cards, told the cruise member we would be at the handicapped muster station. He scanned our cards and I then remet my husband at the handicapped muster location. I would also recommend stay away from the buffets -- our doctor told us that when we cruised. Stick to the dining rooms or room service. We've been on 5 cruises in 5 years and have never had an issue. I hope your cruise does well and your daughter enjoys it!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sue

Star Princess - 10/17
Liberty of the Seas - 7/15
Quantum of the Seas - 2/15
Explorer of the Seas - 9/14
Explorer of the Seas - 3/14
Freedom of the Seas - 3/10
Mariner - 7/07
Legend - 7/03
Pride - 6/02
Nordic Empress - 7/01
Sensation 5/00
Atlanta, GA
206 Posts
Joined Jun 2011
My dad's entire career was spent in organ transplantation - he ran the lab that did the donor/recipient matching (among many other things!) for a large organ procurement organization in the Southeast for many years. I am so proud of the work he and his team did to bring second chances to so many people. It makes me very happy to read posts from people talking about their transplants, and the fun things they are able to enjoy. To the OP - have a wonderful time!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
April 2004 - Golden Princess - Eastern Caribbean
Nov 2011 - Jewel of the Seas - Western Caribbean
Dec 2014 - Brilliance of the Seas - Western Caribbean
Feb 2016 - Emerald Princess - Eastern Caribbean
Feb 2017 - Star Princess - Hawaii!
Feb 2018 - Crown Princess - Eastern Caribbean
Feb 2019 - Regal Princess - Western Caribbean