Gratuity in speciality restaurants

carefree lady

On a couple of occasions I have taken a bottle of wine that I received as a "gift" from the Captain for being in a Neptune Suite to the MDR. When I do this, I tip the wine steward as I hand him the bottle. It just seems to be the right thing to do in that situation.

Do you have to pay corkage on that 'gift'?

I agree with POA1's comment about having a receipt folder. I, too, find it awkward to just leave some currency on the table. I appreciate the suggestion to put the money in an envelope and give it to the PG/Canaletto's/Tamarind Maitre d' for proper distribution.

I just quietly slip the tip under the after dinner candy holder and nobody sees currency sitting on the table. I’m sure it is discovered after we leave and the table is cleared.

In the MDR we give envelopes at the end of the cruise if the experience has been an exceptional one. It usually is.

We also tip at the end of the cruise in the Ocean Bar and 'of course’ our cabin stewards.

Of course I realize there is no need to do this because of the auto tips but, quite honestly, the only place that I really feel that I want to tip an extra amount is onboard a HAL ship. I do tip in daily life at home but most of the time it is just because it is expected and only rarely because of exceptional service.

I just quietly slip the tip under the after dinner candy holder and nobody sees currency sitting on the table. I’m sure it is discovered after we leave and the table is cleared.

In the MDR we give envelopes at the end of the cruise if the experience has been an exceptional one. It usually is.

We also tip at the end of the cruise in the Ocean Bar and 'of course’ our cabin stewards.

Of course I realize there is no need to do this because of the auto tips but, quite honestly, the only place that I really feel that I want to tip an extra amount is onboard a HAL ship. I do tip in daily life at home but most of the time it is just because it is expected and only rarely because of exceptional service.

Thank you for this very positive and uplifting Post. It is especially gratifying that you took the time to compliment HAL for the exceptional service you have received on your cruises.

The gratuity is charged upfront on a beverage package because there is no per item purchase to serve as a basis for a calculated tip. The only difficulty with this is getting people to accept that the tip has been prepaid and that there is no reason to tip a second time.

Several people here seem to be proud of their extra tipping, but I don't hear anyone saying that they upped their hotel service charge because the entire crew performed so well. Or offering to pay HAL extra money afterwards for the cruise because they enjoyed it so much.

igraf

We also buy the wine packages at 50% off....but the usual service charge (I think its still 15%) is applied to 100% of the package cost. So again, this begs the question....if you are already paying a service charge/tip as part of the package cost...why should you tip more? ...

Hank

Edited by igraf

Several people here seem to be proud of their extra tipping, but I don't hear anyone saying that they upped their hotel service charge because the entire crew performed so well.

Well now you have! I have increased my Hotel Service Charge---not always, but it has happened.

I was making a point that the entire crew as well as the entire HAL corporation works hard to make for a pleasant cruise. People like to tip the "tip of the spear" that they see face to face for personal gratification I suppose, but I am glad that some people here are thoughtful enough to consider increasing their hotel service charge so that all of the crew is rewarded.

Having said that, I am generally still say no to double tipping.

igraf

I do not increase my HSC, but do tip extra to room stewards and others who have done a good job for me.
Edited by igraf

I was making a point that the entire crew as well as the entire HAL corporation works hard to make for a pleasant cruise. People like to tip the "tip of the spear" that they see face to face for personal gratification I suppose, but I am glad that some people here are thoughtful enough to consider increasing their hotel service charge so that all of the crew is rewarded.

Having said that, I am generally still say no to double tipping.

igraf

Good point Igraf....

Even in land restaurants, the wait staff will sometimes receive the benefit or the penalty of things beyond their control.....slow service due to slow kitchen due to management not staffing the kitchen correctly. The wait staff may suffer a smaller tip. Similarly, great tasting food may prompt a larger tip.

I always try and follow the local customs and management advice.....tip in the USA, no tips in Australia etc....

I enjoy the contract I have with HAL - I kick in $27 a day to the tip pool and they ensure it gets equitably distributed. No need to carry around cash/small bills and tip every staff interaction. Avoiding the requirement to carry small bills around is one of the benefits of cruising that I enjoy.

So back to the thread, I don't tip extra in the speciality restaurants. I expect exceptional service and they always deliver...and I trust that they receive an equitable distribution of my HSC.