What to do on port days

cruisenguy2

We are going on the Explorer of the Seas on RCL in February to Nassau and Port Canaveral and need some suggestion on what to do at those 2 ports.

We ahve 2 kids, 3 and 6 months.

At Coco cay, that's easy but at those two places, I am not sure. We want to just chill at the beach but I am not sure where to look.

In Florida we thought of going to Downtown Disney for the day, but the timing of the port call makes a bit of a challenge- Arrive at 1pm, leave at 11pm so kind of odd and its a 2 hour or so bus trip.

Any suggestions?

Maybe in Port Canaveral you can rent a car at the port or take a taxi to one of the nearby beaches. They have nice beaches, although the water can be a bit rough out there (that is one of the big surfing areas in FL). It's kind of a hike out to Downtown Disney, so you'd lose a lot of time in the driving back and forth, renting and returning the car. Nassau has a beach that is walkable (10-15 min walk) from the port area, although it is not a stellar beach. You could also just take a walk out to the straw market, and maybe the fort (both are walkable). Something that you can do on your own might be better than a formal group excursion when you have such young ones with you.

Ok...get a guidebook on the ports you'll visit. Beaches are easy to do on your own...but you will need to know WHERE you want to go! The guidebooks have ALL the beaches, and tells you what kind of facilities (restrooms, food, rentals, etc) are at each. It will also give you an idea of transportation options.

Libraries have guidebooks! A bit of research will make you time ashore MUCh nicer!!!!

Part of the trouble is they timing- we arrive at 1pm and depart at 11pm- so going to orlando i think is going to be out- RCI offers a shore excursion to orlando for 32/pp or so- but after lookng at the schedule and thinking it over a bit, I dont see how tha will work- bus probably wont leave till 1:30 or 2 at best and with a 1.5 hour drive, that gets you there at 3 or so at best.

I thin our 3yo is to young for Kennedy space center.

Are there any good parks/playgrounds around? That or just chill on the boat

• 1 month later...
The 3 year old is not too young for the Kennedy Space Center. I took my oldest when he was 9 months old. He loved having his picture taken on the rockets. There's lots of rockets and mockups of spaceships to explore.

I have an 11 month old and we're also looking for something to do at these ports. Is the Space Center that interesting for a little guy like that? How far is it from the port, and how long is the tour? Or should we not book thr tour through RCI, and just take a taxi over there and walk ariound ourselves?

If you decide to do the Space Center (and you live in the US), check with your local congressional representative. They all have a limited amount of free passes for their constituents. I emailed mine, and while I did have to wait a bit for a response, we received 4 free tickets.

My son was 5 when we went, and there is a playground at the site that he adored!

When my daughter was 18 months we cruised on HAL with a stop in Nassau. My parents have been many times and decided we should go to Atlantis for the day and pay the grounds fee. It was Awesome! Especially the Grotto with the huge sea tank. Very cool! My dad and I parasailed together too, which got me hooked. I would definitely DI it again now that we have two kids.

Archived