Gown question for the ladies....

vjmatty

I have a gown almost the same as this one, except the trim is light pink rather than hot pink.... by Cunard standards would you call this formal or semi-formal? It is a very light-weight fabric and while it is full length it does not actually go to the floor, though it could with the right shoes. I am inclined to wear it as semi-formal but will I be over-dressed?

http://images.craigslist.org/011500010209011600200802281f6f0a4593a622316900baec.jpg

For semi formal, I often wear the same gown, but with far less "bling" than on formal nights,my dresses are all very plain, since I rely on the stole, nexklace and bag to rev them up. This way I can take less dresses, but the number of "accessories" are way up.

I also try to vary when I wear the same dress, leaving time in between .with the restrictions put on us by the airlines the days of taking a different dress for each night has long passed.

For my first sea voyage back in 54, we had very little money, and I had one formal gown, one black skirt , one white whirt, one black lace and one white lace skirts to be worn over the fabric ones.

Voyage was 21 nights, but I thought I could manage, we arranged to have a table hidden away in the far corner.

First breakfast was informed that we would be at the Captains table for the whole 21 days, for breakfast, lunch and dinner (Captain came to lunch and dinner ) the table was right in full view of everyone being at the foot of the "grand staircase".

Those were the days of dressing for dinner every night. and the breakfast menue was three pages long, the dinner was five pages of food.

Jimsgirl, what a brilliant post and so evocative of all that time ago, well not that long ago (pardon me), but how typical when we make our plans and something like that happens. :o

For semi formal, I often wear the same gown, but with far less "bling" than on formal nights,my dresses are all very plain, since I rely on the stole, nexklace and bag to rev them up. This way I can take less dresses, but the number of "accessories" are way up.

I also try to vary when I wear the same dress, leaving time in between .with the restrictions put on us by the airlines the days of taking a different dress for each night has long passed.

For my first sea voyage back in 54, we had very little money, and I had one formal gown, one black skirt , one white whirt, one black lace and one white lace skirts to be worn over the fabric ones.

Voyage was 21 nights, but I thought I could manage, we arranged to have a table hidden away in the far corner.

First breakfast was informed that we would be at the Captains table for the whole 21 days, for breakfast, lunch and dinner (Captain came to lunch and dinner ) the table was right in full view of everyone being at the foot of the "grand staircase".

Those were the days of dressing for dinner every night. and the breakfast menue was three pages long, the dinner was five pages of food.

This dress could be worn for formal or semi-formal. I have a similar dress and will be wearing it for informal, but that is only because I have more than enough formal dresses. It is very pretty. I say, whatever you feel like wearing. It works for formal and semi-formal.

Well, Lynn, tell us the rest of the story. Were you able to mix and match your various pieces so that you felt comfortable each night? (By the way, I think the lace overskirts are a great idea!!!) You must have been chosen to sit at the Captain's table, so something about you and your hubby impressed the right people. Was the Captain an interesting person and a wonderful host? What an interesting story!

Archived