Live from the Voyager, R/T Venice:"long time, first time"

boblerm

There is a sports talk radio station in New York, in which when listeners call in, they often begin the conversation by saying "long time, first time." By this they mean that they are a long time listener and a first time caller. It actually took me a while to figure this out (duh).

I have, for a long time, been reading and enjoying the live trip reports that have been posted by the nice folks on this forum, so I thought that for the first time, I would make an attempt at doing one. I hope to post on a regular basis, but as I have never done this before, whether or not I will have the necessary energy and discipline to keep it going remains an open question. But I begin with the best of intentions!

This is the ninth cruise on Regent for my wife, Jeannie and me, but it is the first one in which we are taking the entire Regent package, that is Regent air and the concierge level pre- cruise hotel, with the included transfers.

The itinerary is a 10 day round trip Venice, starting on Monday, June 11, with stops at Split, Kotor, Corfu, Katakolon, Santorini, Gythion, Umbria, and Koper, with but one sea day in the mix. I am exhausted already.;)

Bob

Edited by boblerm
  • Thanks 1

Using Regent's air deviation program, we were able to secure our first choice of flights, which is a non-stop, JFK to Venice leaving at 9 tonight.

The pre-cruise hotel that Regent uses in Venice is the Hilton Molino Stucky. This is not likely a hotel I would have chosen if I were visiting Venice on my own. While it gets excellent reviews, it does not appear to be very convenient for touring Venice. It is located on the island of Giudecca. From what I can gather, Giudecca is notable for the following:

1) The Hilton Molino Stucky Hotel

2) ......um......there doesn't seem to be a number 2. At least a perusal through Rick Steeves' Guide to Venice for "things to see and do in Giudecca has proven to be a fruitless exercise. From what I understand, there is a shuttle that runs from the hotel to San Marco for a "nominal fee". We'll see how it goes, I'm sure it will be fine.

Bob

This is in a way a special cruise for Jeannie and me.

Wait, let me start over. We find all of our cruises to be special. Regent cruises are special on a whole different level than most. But this cruise has a particular significance for us, here's why-

Several years ago, shortly after the itineraries were announced for the new Seven Sea Explorer, we booked 2 cruises on it, an Adriatic cruise in September of 2016, and a Caribbean cruise in March of 2017. Due to a prolonged illness, we had to cancel both of them.

We had our Caribbean Explorer fix this past March, and the cruise we are about to embark on is an itinerary very similar to the other one that we had cancelled, albeit on the Voyager, rather than the Explorer. Which is fine with us, as we have not sailed on the Voyager since it's last renovation, and have been anxious to see how it looks. We are especially anxious to have a look at the new hallway carpeting that gets such "acclaim" on this forum.:eek:

So in a sense, we feel as if we are taking back one more thing that fate had snatched away from us a few years ago.

Bob

Edited by boblerm

Hi Bob, we hope that both you and Jeannie have a wonderful cruise, it sounds like your cruise is somewhat out of the ordinary. Take the time at the Hilton to recover from your flight, relax and get ready for a special cruise. We look forward to reading about your experiences. Angie

Hi Bob & Jeannie;

Thank you for joining "long time, first time" trip or blog posters. Regent cruise critics love on board/live reports, especially those written so well and with such a zest for life.

Know well how much you're relishing being on this voyage and now being able to live life (and travel) to it's fullest. Please let us know what Regent voyage you book on board--you can always squeeze the Mariner Myanmar cruise with us early next year, between your upcoming Crystal, Silversea, Uniworld and Scenic cruises in the next 14 months.

Anxious to read about how you enjoy your Montenegro & Slovenia in particular.

Looking forward to reading your report as you cruise. It's always refreshing to read what a cruiser is seeing in real time and their opinion has they see it as it happens (not the pass or what others think it should be or how it was for them). Thanks for taking the time and enjoy your cruise on a Regent ship.

Can’t wait to hear all about it! Especially since our first Regent Cruise ever, also on Voyager is coming up soon. I’ve been to several of the Adriatic ports you’ll be visiting and I know you’ll enjoy all immensely. Bon Voyage!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Hilton is very comfortable and I’m sure provided a free shuttle. We found it very convenient for touring Venice.

Have a great cruise and thanks for taking the time to report, which is much appreciated by many expectant cruisers.

Wonderful posts, Bob - and may you and Jeannie have a terrific cruise and pre-cruise in Venice. You're visiting some of my favorite ports (have never been especially fond of Corfu), and we've always enjoyed Voyager. Very good of you to post in real time (which I don't think I've ever done — don't have the gizmos.)

The Hilton has a fantastic roof bar. Be sure to visit it.

Hi Bob, we hope that both you and Jeannie have a wonderful cruise, it sounds like your cruise is somewhat out of the ordinary. Take the time at the Hilton to recover from your flight, relax and get ready for a special cruise. We look forward to reading about your experiences. Angie

Actually, the Hilton in Venice is our go to hotel in that city. There is a free shuttle from the Hilton to San Marco. And if you don’t want to wait for it, the city vaporetto service is easy and stops right by the Hilton. We like that it is quiet and apart from the chaos of Venice proper. In addition to the rooftop bar, they have an amazing buffet spread at breakfast. There are some nice canal side restaurants in easy walking distance. The hotel restaurant is outstanding but mega pricey.

Have a wonderful trip! We had our ninth Regent cruise in April and, like the eight before, it was excellent. The sail in to Kotor is beautiful. Thank you for taking the time to post. Really look forward to reading them.

Re: Kotor. The highlight of our Explorer Miami-Venice March, April 2017 voyage was Easter Sunday at Kotor. Church bells from a tower on the hillside began the day.

Regent offered a late morning flute concert/lunch excursion via boat to a nearby church and restaurant. Not sure if this is a possibility for you folks. If it is--take it. Magical concert at the church performed by a quartet of young ladies with the musical talent to grace any stage. This was followed by a fresh fish and produce lunch, accompanied by local wines.

The trip back to the Kotor dock on our boat (with about 25 other Explorer fellow-travelers) was accompanied by a thunderstorm--no extra charge as to drama. Quite an end to the afternoon. My wife videoed that concert, which we still play to friends and family.

Enjoy.

GOARMY!

Thanks so much for all the well wishes. I am encouraged to hear about the positive experiences that people have had at the Hilton. Wes, you have an amazing memory!

In my mind, vacation officially begins when we are enjoying our first cocktail at the airport lounge.

Ans so.....

(drum roll please....)

Vacation Has Begun!

ef68bbf7defae4d4f538c4469863be75.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Looks like you are off to a good start. If your transfer to the hotel is not included, this is one time i would spring for the private water taxi. Pricey, but totally worth it.
Thanks Rachel, Regent does include transfers with their air program. The bad part is that unless you are participating in the land program, if you arrive earlier than the day of embarkation, which is always a good idea, they do not include transfers. Thankfully, since we have the pre cruise hotel night, we do get transfers. Private water transportation in Venice is indeed pricey, it's nice that we won't need it this time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Our flight was fine, a bit bumpy, but we did get some sleep. The Delta business class cabin was quite comfortable. The food - let's just say that we are looking forward to Compass Rose.

The plane landed on time, and we were transported to the hotel via water taxi. Between the long line at passport control, the long walk to the water taxi station (thankfully, Regent handled our luggage for us, and waiting to board the water taxi, it was 2 1/2 hours between touch down and check in. The water taxi ride was 30 minutes, and yes, mj_holiday, I agree with you, it was quite an enjoyable ride.

917af2f1d47c1ed8972462c74b2c95d6.jpg

2df33eda70a8cb5fed3ea6d0f64c4a92.jpg

The Hilton Molino Stuckey

a410a29c84487001d8aa78d41258ac85.jpg

Our room was not quite ready, so we had a nice lunch in the lobby restaurant. 06764c45793856be9535e248417118cb.jpg

By the time we finished, our room was ready. It is a little on the small side, but quite nice. 2cc6a4673ca0e627336394cf589dec9a.jpg

The rooftop pool and bar offers spectacular views. adc20cd30ee5630fa2904a17bbc0dd2a.jpg

I think I spy... b31d85528996b188da9e9ccb200dff52.jpg

The Seven Seas Voyager! The cruise before us has an overnight here. cf966845bba908631858691436368fe2.jpg

We met one of Venice's most famous (infamous?) residents. edd8db00f86865af2ccdabe7ed62daa0.jpg

Wonderful photos. Really looking forward to your posts. Have a fantastic cruise and thanks for keeping us updated. A sail away from Venice is just one of those special moments. A Bellini in hand watching the views, nothing better. :D.

Jean.

I'm enjoying your blog and love all the photos. We had stayed at the Hilton on a previous Regent cruise. We had a late dinner in the hotel that was excellent. We enjoyed our Venice sail away with hot chocolate instead of Bellinis. Our October cruise was so cold and windy. We loved every minute of it though. Have a wonderful time!