Luggage porters speed you through immigration lines ?

bluwes

When we disembark I see people using the porters trolleys who then take them to the front of the line to get through the border agent checks.

What sort of payment should you give to the porter to make use of this facility

When we've been in an Immigration line and other passengers were using porters, they stayed in the line the same as we did. In some cases that line took over an hour. Maybe what you've seen was a passenger with a status or nationality that gave that privilege.

Porters don't get you through the lines, any faster. But, they do seem to have an uncanny knack for locating the shortest line. And then, the best part -- even in a long line, you're not having to drag your own bags! :cool:

Those are probably people with elevated status, as the other poster mentioned. We were in a Haven access but not right in the Haven Owner's suite and thought we were to have that treatment. We were told that privilege was for the people who were actually in the physical Haven area.

What? NCL irritates me on so many levels...

There used to be Porter only lines, at least at Tampa and Ft. Lauderdale. Seems I recall at all the other ports we've sailed from as well. Those special lines allowed Porter's to move more luggage and actually make a few more $$ in tips. It was for anyone with special designation only those who were willing to tip. We used it, gladly paid the extra tip.

Last cruise in Tampa they changed the debarkation as part of the policy change for custom forms. For those who don't know, you only need to fill out customs form if you exceed the limits. The port now had everyone go through customs before getting their luggage. Made things a lot faster, and without luggage clogging the lines, a.lot more people in the lines sooner.

I noticed a lot fewer people used a porter now as they no longer gained the benefit of the Porter only lines.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Porters don't get you through the lines, any faster. But, they do seem to have an uncanny knack for locating the shortest line. And then, the best part -- even in a long line, you're not having to drag your own bags! :cool:

This is true. We always use a porter! :D

It might depend on where you disembark. On my last arrival in Brooklyn it went horribly wrong. All the porters are shunted to one agent. It moved very slowly and cost me at least an additional 30 minutes than if I had taken my bags myself.

In my experiences using and tipping a porter absolutely took you to the front of the line.

Last time we did it we were in NYC; we never expect it but it happens often. We have no 'status' and tipped $20. The customs/immigration people let them in without a blink.

This was before the no claims form situation that happens now.

Safe sailing!

Our last porter got us through customs quickly, though it may just be that he had the knack for knowing which agents/gates move the most quickly. He also walked us right to the head of the taxi line. I was surprised to not hear loud 'booing' and 'hissing' behind us, but no one seemed to be paying attention. We always tip $2-3 per bag.

When we disembark I see people using the porters trolleys who then take them to the front of the line to get through the border agent checks.

What sort of payment should you give to the porter to make use of this facility

Seems to depend on the port. I’ve done this a couple of times, $20 each time, well worth it to jump to the head of the line.

Stan

Those are probably people with elevated status, as the other poster mentioned. We were in a Haven access but not right in the Haven Owner's suite and thought we were to have that treatment. We were told that privilege was for the people who were actually in the physical Haven area.

What? NCL irritates me on so many levels...

NCL has priority disembarkment, but I believe that ends once you are off the ship.

When we've been in an Immigration line and other passengers were using porters, they stayed in the line the same as we did. In some cases that line took over an hour. Maybe what you've seen was a passenger with a status or nationality that gave that privilege.

a few ports have a special line just for porters and it is much faster. tried to get Mr Spook to take advantage and he was stubborn and said no. so we stood in line for 45 minutes to save maybe $10.

There used to be Porter only lines, at least at Tampa and Ft. Lauderdale. Seems I recall at all the other ports we've sailed from as well. Those special lines allowed Porter's to move more luggage and actually make a few more $$ in tips. It was for anyone with special designation only those who were willing to tip. We used it, gladly paid the extra tip.

Last cruise in Tampa they changed the debarkation as part of the policy change for custom forms. For those who don't know, you only need to fill out customs form if you exceed the limits. The port now had everyone go through customs before getting their luggage. Made things a lot faster, and without luggage clogging the lines, a.lot more people in the lines sooner.

I noticed a lot fewer people used a porter now as they no longer gained the benefit of the Porter only lines.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

thats good to know as Tampa is now our closest port. and it was there that I tried to convince Mr Spook.

We almost always use a porter , there is a new option on some ports, luggage direct ,cost is 25 per person , you put your bags out at night , next time you see them will be at your home airport , rccl this is perk for suites.

a few ports have a special line just for porters and it is much faster. tried to get Mr Spook to take advantage and he was stubborn and said no. so we stood in line for 45 minutes to save maybe $10.

He was being frugal.[emoji41]

My most recent disembarkation experience at Pier 26 at Port Everglades:

Stepping out of the elevator with my over the shoulder carry-on bag, there was an employee of the Port Agency waiting with a wheelchair. (None had been requested.) He insisted that I use his chair, quickly obtained a Porter, and we found the luggage. Off we went and the shortest, quickest line was found and we were waved through. Both took me to my car parked in the Garage. Within 15 minutes, I went from being on the ship to being at my car. I tipped both gentlemen well.

If available, I will always use a Porter. It simply makes the disembarkation process so much easier.

Thanks for all the responses folks. I based my question on disembarking the Celebrity Summit last week at Cape Liberty.

Those using the porter service literally avoided the lines and went around the outside of the queueing lanes and went straight to the front to be seen by the border agent, although they were being fed in with those who were at the front of the normal queue

We almost always use a porter , there is a new option on some ports, luggage direct ,cost is 25 per person , you put your bags out at night , next time you see them will be at your home airport , rccl this is perk for suites.

Not an option ofr those of us who do post cruis e hotel stay after we disembark the shi;p We go direct ly from ship terminal to taxi.and like it just fine that porter takes our luggqge to the taxi for us .