Best "non excursion" things to do in La Romana

batman3896

The family and I will be in La Romana on Tuesday the 21st. Trying to figure out what to do while there. All of the beach excursions on Carnival are pretty expensive for basically a ride to the beach. Having been on a number of cruises, we like to hop a cab with the kids to the beach and spend the money there. Any recommendations for safe beaches with clean facilities? How about the best way to catch a safe cab and the approximate price to the beaches for a family of 4 (13yo & 11yo kids)? Any help would be appreciated!

• 4 weeks later...

You must be back now, how was it, what did you do? We've only been once, and we decided to be adventurous and walked outside the gate to the main road and left, west, over the river where we caught a minivan to Bayahibe for the day. Getting there and back on our own was half the fun. The cove where we planned to snorkel east of town was a bit rough and visibility was not good, then we strolled the town and bought some music, then on to the beach for a nice walk and drinks at a little restaurant, then back in a minivan, all for a few dollars for a family of four.

There are several excellent "self-excursions" available including jungle ATV tours and some of the best day sails anywhere. We've enjoyed a daysail to Catalina Island with Pro Excursions and to Saona Island with Seavis Tours. The latter is in smaller motorboats with a scenic tour of the mangroves and rocks followed by a couple hours on the beach at Saona (with off the beach snorkeling) and then a stop at the Natural Pool with starfish. A great day! The Pro E Catalina daysail is on a nice cat with beach/snorkel time and a cruise past the beautiful homes of Casa De Campo and perhaps a run up the River Chavin. But check their sites for offerings, both are top notch outfits and Seavis is very good at working with the Carnival schedule changes. They arrange for taxi pickup as well - very easy.

You'll find more on both of these in other threads here if you want to search.

If you just want to taxi to a beach and be able to walk a small town the public beach at Bayahibe is decent as is the public beach at Dominicus. You can taxi to Dominicus and take a $1pp taxi to Bayahibe then taxi back to port from there

You must be back now, how was it, what did you do? We've only been once, and we decided to be adventurous and walked outside the gate to the main road and left, west, over the river where we caught a minivan to Bayahibe for the day. Getting there and back on our own was half the fun. The cove where we planned to snorkel east of town was a bit rough and visibility was not good, then we strolled the town and bought some music, then on to the beach for a nice walk and drinks at a little restaurant, then back in a minivan, all for a few dollars for a family of four.

I missed your post and see that you already experienced Bayahibe. Dominicus is a nice town to do the same thing, just a little east of Bayahibe. But the Seavis Saona Special for cruise ship passengers is excellent.

Yes, the Seavis day trip has good reviews, but can get spendy for a family of four. We might try renting a car next time. Years ago we did a DR land trip, renting a car for a month and drove almost everywhere. The roads were decent and the locals very friendly and helpful. Has anyone rented a car recently from La Romana port or nearby? Please advise. Thanks.

Yes excursions can get pricey for a family, sorry we've not rented but you will be able to get great feedback on that question on the La Romana forum on tripadvisor.

Did you visit the Dominicus public beach and see that town before?

• 3 months later...
will be in la Romona on the Breeze and looking for a Beach

We did the Saona island tour last time but want to try something different another beach .

Really dont want to spend $200 for 2 people for a couple hours and dont want to stay on ship

I will be on the same sailing as you. Our group is going to the Dreams Resort in La Romana. I'm originally from S. Jersey. :)

I will be on the same sailing as you. Our group is going to the Dreams Resort in La Romana. I'm originally from S. Jersey. :)

Can you give me more details on the Dreams Resort? Fees, how to get there, ...

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...
There are several excellent "self-excursions" available including jungle ATV tours and some of the best day sails anywhere. We've enjoyed a daysail to Catalina Island with Pro Excursions and to Saona Island with Seavis Tours. The latter is in smaller motorboats with a scenic tour of the mangroves and rocks followed by a couple hours on the beach at Saona (with off the beach snorkeling) and then a stop at the Natural Pool with starfish. A great day! The Pro E Catalina daysail is on a nice cat with beach/snorkel time and a cruise past the beautiful homes of Casa De Campo and perhaps a run up the River Chavin. But check their sites for offerings, both are top notch outfits and Seavis is very good at working with the Carnival schedule changes. They arrange for taxi pickup as well - very easy.

You'll find more on both of these in other threads here if you want to search.

Can you recommend an ATV tour from La Romana? We have been to Amber Cove, but not to LaRomana and would like to take an ATV tour not through the ship.

Can you recommend an ATV tour from La Romana? We have been to Amber Cove, but not to LaRomana and would like to take an ATV tour not through the ship.

Were you able to locate an ATV tour? We would also like to do this in LaRomana, as we enjoyed it in Amber. Cove.

I’ll look for you! ;)

http://www.proexcursionsbayahibe.com/snorkling-tours/tours/la-romana-land-activities-for-cruise-ships.aspx

$69/pp + $15/pp reserved taxi, Pro E is an excellent independent tour operator with great guides.

• 1 month later...