Devil's Island Shore Excursion Options

jarvfam1

Looking for suggestions and/or recommendations for excursions for Devil's Island. Looking at the shore excursions list from the cruise line, none are offered. This may change since we are scheduled to arrive on Devil's island until Feb 1st. In order to figure out what our options are I'm putting this request for information out now.

Thanks in advance.

Jarvfam1

• 2 weeks later...
All that has been said is correct.

Some cruise lines set it up where a few local personnel are stationed in different areas to answer questions. Others don't. Either way you just walk around on our own.

Keith

Hi Keith. Just wondering how the walking trails are on Devil's Island. DH has a torn meniscus and I am wondering if I need to hound him on the cane and brace issues. Uneven ground? gravel trails or some paving material? Thanks. (Injury is just 2 weeks old and we don't leave until Jan. 2018 so knee might or might not be stronger.

Hi Keith. Just wondering how the walking trails are on Devil's Island. DH has a torn meniscus and I am wondering if I need to hound him on the cane and brace issues. Uneven ground? gravel trails or some paving material? Thanks. (Injury is just 2 weeks old and we don't leave until Jan. 2018 so knee might or might not be stronger.

I'm not Keith :D but I'll attempt a response. We were there 7 1/2 years ago but I doubt if it has changed much. I remember walking an unpaved uphill path after leaving the dock and coming down a different unpaved path. At the top of the island there are some paths but you will also be walking on uneven grass surfaces between the buildings. I would err on the side of caution and have a cane at the very least and ask his doctor or physical therapist before departing about the brace.

As capriccio notes there will be some challenges. Walking will include uneven surfaces and also up some small hills and be on grass and other surfaces.

He will need to take it very slow and I am not sure how he will do. He good do part of it and see.

Keith

The ship tenders you to the biggest of the three islands, Ile Royale. The buildings of interest are all on this island.

The second island is Ile Sainte-Joseph, also open to the public but not very interesting. Most cruise ships don't offer tenders to it and most cruise itineraries don't allow enough time for it, so it's frequented by those who stay at Ile Royale's hotel or on yachts.

The third island, Devil's Island, is the smallest. The foreshore is rocky, strong currents surround the island & there's no pier or landing point. It's on this island that Papillon served his later years (though the film takes far too many liberties with history). No access to the public (or indeed anyone else) but easily viewed from Ile Royale.

So your exploration will be on Ile Royale.

I guess you could walk round its coastline in a under half an hour, but there's stacks of ruined penal buildings, cells, punishment cells, hospital, guards' quarters, cemeteries etc. in a reasonably compact area.

All very eerie.

The going under-foot is very mixed. Some rough paths, some smooth. Some grass or mud, a few steps here and there.

Some slopes, but no massively steep or long hills. And nowhere is very far.

Mobility is an issue for some, but I'd urge you to see what you can.

The first clip gives you some idea of what it's like underfoot, the second is excellent for the history of the islands.

Plenty more images & vids on the internet.

JB :)

Thanks to all for your helpful responses. Hopefully he will continue to gain stability in the knee but my position is to have a brace in case knee is objecting to these travels. Gathering information for his Dr. to have a basis for ordering brace or treatment or not. Some Docs have not been to the ports of call on this segment of WC.:)

• 1 month later...