Post Cruise Extension in Prague

BucketlistOrBust

Hi All;

We are going on our first river cruise with Viking next June and would like to do a post cruise trip to Prague, I am looking for any advice, but mostly a hotel referral, good location and good price. We usually do our own bookings and I really think the Viking's cost is very high, although there is something to be said for not having to think. I am looking for quality but don't need to stay in chain hotel. Look forward to hearing for you seasoned travelers.

HI - check out the Intercontinental in Prague - not sure how the rates compare but the location is great - they offer a breakfast that is fantastic and the staff is exceptional. We stayed in Prague prior to our cruise and had a great time - would love to return for a longer visit.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you wish to keep to global chains, the Hilton Prague Old Town is right on the edge of the Old Town and the Marriott is right opposite the road from it. Its about a 5 mins walk to the Old Town Square.

As mentioned above, the Intercontinental is nice because it is on the right on the river (well separated from the river by a large road) but is also 5 mins walk to the Old Town Square (past all the posh shops on that one street).

Slightly further away, the Radisson SAS Alcron Hotel is about 7 mins walk to the Old Town Square although it is about 1 min walk from Wenceslas Square where all the shops and some restaurants are. This is the base for ATP cruises.

There is also the Sheraton which is about 12 mins walk to the Old Town Square. You should be able to get good prices here if you book early. I think this is a Viking base although it might be AMA. I remember the red signs but both cruise firms use red.

All the above hotels have great breakfast spread as Prague is alway full of tourist (especially US ones). The Radisson SAS has the Alcron Restaurant which is Prague's only one Michelin star restaurant. There are only about 10 tables so book very early if you wish to visit. Food at the restaurant is lovely.

Another vote for the Intercontinental. We stayed there 5 nights in May and is a great location with everything in walking distance without quite the same congestion as staying in the town square. However, we did move to a 2 bedroom condo with a view of the astronomical clock for 3 nights and it was great. We found it on VRBO. It was a 2 bedroom 2 bath condo in a historic building but with modern conveniences. If memory serves it was about $200 a night which was an amazing value compared to the hotels. Just keep in mind that if you stay on the town square you will need to get your luggage there by walking over some potentially cobblestoned areas. We walked about 5 minutes from the Intercontinental when we moved and it was fine but may not be if there are any mobility issues. With the Intercontinental the taxi/driver can just drop you off at the front door.

We stayed at Hotel Pod Vezi, right next to the Charles bridge. Loved this place! Also had a really good restaurant, where we had an incredible dinner one night - best meal in Prague!

Second the meal recommendation at Pod Vezi. We ate there our last night. I had rabbit loin and Chris had duck leg confit...yummy! It was our second favorite restaurant (U Modré Cachničky, At the blue duck, was our favorite) but still very nice.

It's on the opposite side of the Charles Bridge, the Malastranla side as opposed to the Old Town side, just FYI. Closer to the tram up Castle Hill, but a touch further to Old Town. Good location.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

How about the Imperial Art Deco Hotel. Near the Marriot etc and a short walk to the old town - approx 6 minutes if you dont stop! So much to see :-) This is one of the hotels Scenic use. I'd definitely stay again.

As to your point about it being expensive via Viking, we thought it was worthwhile paying (even though through Scenic). We had some excellent guided tours, including one about growing up in Communist Prague. Our guide was around the full three days of the extension and it was also good having that local knowledge if you wanted to go off and explore. Of course you can organise your own tours, but I would recommend using Viking. Everything will be thought of. Enjoy your trip no matter which option you take :-)

We LOVED Prague!! Stayed there 2 nights before boarding our AMA river cruise last July. Like you, I opted to book our extended visit myself rather than go with the AMA option.

We stayed at the Pod Vezi, right at the end of the bridge! It was fantastic! Big room and bath, great breakfast included, staff super nice. Easy walking distance to everything, very safe part of town!

Thank you all for your responses, definitely have given me a range of choices, I am going to look into Hotel Pod Vezi and Savic as they both keep popping up. I prefer to not stay in the chains as I like a little more local flavor.

Not sure how we are getting from the boat in Nuremberg to Prague but I am using a travel agent for the first time and he says he will take care of it. I am always open to suggestions as I am still really doing most of the planning and he is booking with his discounts.

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you all for your responses, definitely have given me a range of choices, I am going to look into Hotel Pod Vezi and Savic as they both keep popping up. I prefer to not stay in the chains as I like a little more local flavor.

Not sure how we are getting from the boat in Nuremberg to Prague but I am using a travel agent for the first time and he says he will take care of it. I am always open to suggestions as I am still really doing most of the planning and he is booking with his discounts.

Sorry to butt in on your thread, but my sister and I are also doing a post-cruise stay in Prague and I was wondering if you found out anything more from your travel agent.

My travel agent has recommended we book the post-cruise stay through AMA (obviously, the company we're taking the river cruise on) but I keep suffering from indecision and would welcome input from anyone.

If we took the AMA option, they'd be responsible for getting us from Nuremberg to Prague, with a stop and "free time" in Pilzen. We'd be staying in the Art Deco Hotel Imperial for three nights and the first full day in Prague we'd have an undefined city tour with AMA.

The bonuses here are clear: I don't have to think about much because it's done for me, the Art Deco Hotel Imperial is in a not terrible location near old town Prague, and it would be convenient to the Convent of St Agnes of Bohemia which is pretty far from a must see on my sister's list, but interests me enough that if it's just a quick hop from the hotel I could sneak away and look myself.

Now doing it ourselves: my travel agent usually recommends the Golden Well Hotel, which while slightly out of the way sounds absolutely lovely. While Pilzen sounds like fun, my sister doesn't drink and there are other things along the way that would be higher on my list (like Kladrubsky Monastery or Karlstejn Castle). I also would like to spend our second day in Prague with a day trip out to Kutna Hora, but I suffer from the dreaded fear of missing out, and since I don't know what the undefined city tour will show us, I don't know if we'll see everything in Prague that we should see. It would be easy enough to throw money at the problem and get us a guide that does everything we want in Prague and would take us out to Kutna Hora, but that does start to get expensive and I've got a milestone birthday trip in 2019 that I wanted to go all out for. I also can't seem to find a good way of getting from Nuremberg to Prague that would allow us to do some sightseeing along the way. I found one company, but the prices seem almost too good to be true and you know how that goes.

So do any of you kind people have any thoughts for me? There's a part of me tempted to just go with AMA to stop fretting about the entire thing.

Sorry to butt in on your thread, but my sister and I are also doing a post-cruise stay in Prague and I was wondering if you found out anything more from your travel agent.

My travel agent has recommended we book the post-cruise stay through AMA (obviously, the company we're taking the river cruise on) but I keep suffering from indecision and would welcome input from anyone.

If we took the AMA option, they'd be responsible for getting us from Nuremberg to Prague, with a stop and "free time" in Pilzen. We'd be staying in the Art Deco Hotel Imperial for three nights and the first full day in Prague we'd have an undefined city tour with AMA.

The bonuses here are clear: I don't have to think about much because it's done for me, the Art Deco Hotel Imperial is in a not terrible location near old town Prague, and it would be convenient to the Convent of St Agnes of Bohemia which is pretty far from a must see on my sister's list, but interests me enough that if it's just a quick hop from the hotel I could sneak away and look myself.

Now doing it ourselves: my travel agent usually recommends the Golden Well Hotel, which while slightly out of the way sounds absolutely lovely. While Pilzen sounds like fun, my sister doesn't drink and there are other things along the way that would be higher on my list (like Kladrubsky Monastery or Karlstejn Castle). I also would like to spend our second day in Prague with a day trip out to Kutna Hora, but I suffer from the dreaded fear of missing out, and since I don't know what the undefined city tour will show us, I don't know if we'll see everything in Prague that we should see. It would be easy enough to throw money at the problem and get us a guide that does everything we want in Prague and would take us out to Kutna Hora, but that does start to get expensive and I've got a milestone birthday trip in 2019 that I wanted to go all out for. I also can't seem to find a good way of getting from Nuremberg to Prague that would allow us to do some sightseeing along the way. I found one company, but the prices seem almost too good to be true and you know how that goes.

So do any of you kind people have any thoughts for me? There's a part of me tempted to just go with AMA to stop fretting about the entire thing.

IMO if your time in Prague is limited, it's best spent in Prague instead of exploring the hinterlands. There is so much to do their. The palace is the largest in Europe and you can easily spend the whole day there exploring the castle, palace, and cathedral.

Also, you might want to see the famous Infant Jesus of Prague located at the small, charming Church of Our Lady Victorious.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infant_Jesus_of_Prague

• 3 months later...

I stumbled on this post looking for something else, but thought I would leave my two cents. I planned a group trip to Europe in 2016. In Prague we stayed at Hotel Julian...quiet area that is still close to everything including Café Savoy which I highly recommend plus they offer a wonderful dinner at the hotel on the roof with awesome evening views of the castle. As for transportation we used Mike's Chauffeur Services...hotel door to hotel door service with side trips in between and very reasonable. We used this service between Prague, Brno, Vienna, and Budapest. We met a group who took the train and paid what we paid for private door to door service with a built in travel guide...can't recommend Mike and his staff enough!

We did not stay in the Hotel Imperial, but we did eat in the Cafe Imperial, and it was one of the finest dining experiences we have ever had. The restaurant, and the hotel are beautiful and the location is good, just outside of the main city center, but close to a lot of other stuff. We did Prague as a pre-cruise extension with Viking, and they provided the bus from Prague to Nuremburg. It was carefree and seamless, but there was no sightseeing along the way.