Margaritaville: 14.99$ cover on Breakaway only?

AlexandNessa

BRING BACK UPTOWN GRILL!! Why get rid of a awesome burger joint to replace with some over rated jimmy Buffett BS!! Burgers @ best are average- uptown grill had great selection of burgers and toppings- Its Ncl nickel and diming everyone- I'm so sick of cruise lines taking away good ( free ) dining venues and replacing with for fee bull ****!!! I'm done with all this bs- I'm going back to land all inclusive vacations!!

i agree.when i first sailed on the breakaway in 2014, the uptown grill was my go to place for anything food related when i wanted to avoid the crowds at the buffet. i loved the meatball subs they had once.

Those are in the buffet for free on all ships and have been for years.

The ones on the buffet aren't really the same. And they aren't nice and warm with a side of stone ground mustard and cheese sauce. I will pay the $3 for the quality increase while I sip my UBP margarita on the deck.

That's just sad I know that the cruise industry's been trying to figure out ways to make more money and I was sad when they started having the high-end steakhouse is that cost more but even they don't cost that much money I mean come on you're talking about barfood that's a total rip off

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was reviewing all the dining options for the Breakaway on my ncl, and for Margaritaville it said 'alacarte' .

Yes, I noticed that too. However I never bothered to see what it stated during the trial period. So not sure if there was a change in what is stated vs what was stated a couple of sailings prior.

Ok so the price is still $14.99 according to someone currently on the sept 10th sailing.

Wow, I'm trying to figure out how this is working out for them, when all anecdotal evidence points to it being a ghost town.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Forums mobile app

• 1 month later...
Anyone just off the Breakaway?

Is this set cover charge for Margaritaville still in effect? It seems like the 'trial' period should be over.

I was on Breakaway from October 1 to October 8 and the cover charge was still there. I very rarely saw people there during the cruise and even then, only a handful. I was told that, Margaritaville is a la cart on Escape and Getaway but the cover charge is still in place on Breakaway. No clue when it is ending but it doesn't look like NCL has learned anything from this (in my opinion) failed experiment.

I was on Breakaway from October 1 to October 8 and the cover charge was still there. I very rarely saw people there during the cruise and even then, only a handful. I was told that, Margaritaville is a la cart on Escape and Getaway but the cover charge is still in place on Breakaway. No clue when it is ending but it doesn't look like NCL has learned anything from this (in my opinion) failed experiment.

Hard to believe they are still thinking this $14.99 will work. Escape was still a la carte in September, but prices were too high in our opinion for the food choice & quality in there. With the very low number of people we have seen there and others have reported, I'm astonished that they have announced a Margaritaville will be on the new ship Bliss.

We loved the Flamingo Grill (Getaway) and Uptown Grill (Breakaway), but had initially been excited to see the Margaritaville brand brought to NCL. I'm not sure how they came about their strange decisions on a la carte pricing (steep!) and now the $14.99 charge on the Breakaway, but surely someone in their Finance dept. has figured out these decisions aren't working:confused:

I've never been to a margaritaville. I always pass the one on the Vegas strip without ever going in although I do enjoy the A/C breeze flowing from the open doors. I don't get the hype and at $15pp when there are other places to eat for free, guess I won't be finding out next month either!

The licensing fees NCL pays to use the Margaritaville name have to be way more than the revenue that place brings in. I literally never saw more than maybe 2-3 families there, tops.

BRING BACK UPTOWN BAR & GRILL

It was originally a complimentary venue, so I'm not sure that makes a difference to them.

This whole thing is so strange and annoying. I'm a huge fan of Margaritaville and almost always go when I'm in Orlando. I was on the Breakaway last October and was really excited to try Margaritaville - I'd never been to Uptown so I don't have any attachment to that venue. The place was still a la carte and the items were actually really good. (We got conch fritters, a burger, the nachos and the "hot" margarita - yum, btw) But at $15/pp I'll definitely be passing. They're good, but not THAT good. The highlight was the drink, and if I can still get that at the bar I'm happy.

Anyway, my original point of why it's strange and annoying - the NCL site still says it's a la carte! WHY?

We loved the Margaritaville option on the Escape last March... we’d go get a couple drinks using our UDP, and order chips and queso... which I think was like $2.99 or volcano nachos which was maybe twice that? I can’t remember exactly... but they were huge and yummy and a good deal as far as I am concerned. But we would have never hit the $14.99 per person with the UDP. I hope they keep it ala carte... for us it was a good afternoon snack place.

We loved the Margaritaville option on the Escape last March... we’d go get a couple drinks using our UDP, and order chips and queso... which I think was like $2.99 or volcano nachos which was maybe twice that? I can’t remember exactly... but they were huge and yummy and a good deal as far as I am concerned. But we would have never hit the $14.99 per person with the UDP. I hope they keep it ala carte... for us it was a good afternoon snack place.

I agree 100%....Margaritaville last January on the Breakaway was a great option for lunch on sea days when it was a la carte. We would enjoy the Burgers and French Fries with a few margaritas and enjoy the view.

That being said, this February on the Breakaway I won't be going there if they continue with their $14.99 venue....can't imagine why they would continue this venue with such few customers.:confused:

It seems that NCL isn't making any money with this option and creating some very unhappy passengers!:mad:

Don:cool:

• 4 months later...

BTW, Carnival has Guy's Burger Joint and Guy's Pig & Anchor Bar-B-Que Smokehouse on their ships. Both are free for everyone. I haven't tried them yet.

That was true on Carnival Vista but just found out Pig & Anchor on the new Horizon will be free for lunch but they will have a pay menu for evenings. They are making it a Brewhouse/Pig & Anchor like his land base restaurant.

823fb914e9b1f2ba11fa6c9459cc5a73.jpg

That's all I have to say about this....[emoji26]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We really enjoyed UpTown Grill as well. Our Breakaway trip in 2016 we had UpTown for free, 2017 we had Margaritaville al a carte, never saw it for free. We will see in a few weeks what that venue is doing for 2018 on the Breakaway.

We really enjoyed UpTown Grill as well. Our Breakaway trip in 2016 we had UpTown for free, 2017 we had Margaritaville al a carte, never saw it for free. We will see in a few weeks what that venue is doing for 2018 on the Breakaway.

It was originally announced as free when the partnership with Buffett was first announced. It was then free for the first cruises on Escape, including the Transatlantic (we ate there 11 times), and the inaugural sailing from Miami. Then I believe the 2nd week of sailings is when the prices were added, because people were waiting about 2 hours to get a free burger at this joint that didn't take reservations. It was a complete madhouse, and passengers were irate. Fees were added for crowd control. Judging from pictures, it looks like they overdid it. I'm thinking a basic $5 cover charge would probably be good.