Need some Amsterdam help - Banks Mansion versus Hotel JL No76

kazu

HI everyone,

We are staying in Amsterdam next year after our Prinsendam cruise. I have had my eye on the Banks Mansion for a long time but friends I am cruising with think it is too pricey.

We actually both searched together and I found Hotel JL No76 which seems nice - well rated on tripadvisor.

It is obviously cheaper than Banks Mansion but I can't help but think (in my own mind) that by the time you add up the all inclusive aspect there won't be that much difference in pricing.

I do like nice hotel experiences and don't mind paying a bit more and am currently booked at the Banks.

It looks like it's only about a 15 minute walk from our friends' hotel, which is certainly doable for us. It would be nice to be at the same hotel, but I am still liking the Banks Mansion.

I don't know if I am fixated and don't want to be inflexible but the Banks Mansion sounds lovely to me. Is it worth the extra $$??

If you are familiar with either hotel could you please share your thoughts? Am I crazy to be wanting the Banks?

We stayed at Banks Mansion in May for 4 nights & really enjoyed it. The room included breakfast which was very good. It was also very nice to have snacks & drinks available all day. The evening happy hour was nice. They have wine available around 4pm on which a great. It is also in a very convenient location.

We stayed at Banks Mansion in May for 4 nights & really enjoyed it. The room included breakfast which was very good. It was also very nice to have snacks & drinks available all day. The evening happy hour was nice. They have wine available around 4pm on which a great. It is also in a very convenient location.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience :D

We've stayed at Banks Mansion three times, so we obviously recommend it. Great location - in the center of things, but not too noisy. Great staff with great advice. Terrific breakfast and wonderful afternoon wine-and-cheese hour, plus open bar all day long. We always spring for a junior suite, because we want a slightly larger room - my understanding is that the regular rooms can be a bit on the small side, although not atypical for European hotel rooms.

We've stayed at Banks Mansion three times, so we obviously recommend it. Great location - in the center of things, but not too noisy. Great staff with great advice. Terrific breakfast and wonderful afternoon wine-and-cheese hour, plus open bar all day long. We always spring for a junior suite, because we want a slightly larger room - my understanding is that the regular rooms can be a bit on the small side, although not atypical for European hotel rooms.

We booked the Executive Canal View - is that the same room?

We like more space too and appreciate in Europe it can be hard to find ;)

thank you. I am more convinced that this is the place for us.

Stayed at the Banks last year and loved it. Besides the already mentioned included breakfast , drinks and snacks the location is great. There are tram stops close by and its about mid way between the museum area and port. There is a nice park ringed with places to eat and you are a block from the flower market. You can get tickets to most things from the staff at the desk . you should get your friends to change their hotel.

Stayed at the Banks last year and loved it. Besides the already mentioned included breakfast , drinks and snacks the location is great. There are tram stops close by and its about mid way between the museum area and port. There is a nice park ringed with places to eat and you are a block from the flower market. You can get tickets to most things from the staff at the desk . you should get your friends to change their hotel.

Thank you for your feedback.

LOL on getting my friends to change - I tried :(. I think the hotel is worth the price but they don't. :loudcry:

At the rate the recommendations are coming in, we may just be at different hotels ;)

Have they priced just a regular room? We were in a canal view room which is less expensive and it was perfectly fine for us. We don't spend a lot of time in room.

They did but.... >sigh<

Banks Mansion. No question in my mind.

I am sticking with my plans I think. It's only a 15 minute walk to their hotel ;)

• 2 weeks later...
We booked the Executive Canal View - is that the same room?

We like more space too and appreciate in Europe it can be hard to find ;)

thank you. I am more convinced that this is the place for us.

Yes, we booked the Executive Canal View. Those rooms are on the corner, so you get a great view of the canal and the surrounding area.

Thanks Jacqui for your concern, but our group is satisfied with our choice of hotel.

I know your group is happy. I was trying to determine if I had made a mistake or should switch and I had others email me to ask what hotels were being used. I gave them both names and since a couple had questions I was looking for feedback. I gave them the link to this thread.

I've stayed at hotel JL and loved it and I consider myself to be a hotel snob. The rooms were very clean and they had a honest bar system which they gave us most of our drinks free. The location was great next to designer shops and a park on one side and the museum on the other. I would definitely return. Oh and the mini pancake things are at the end of the block, sooooo good!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've stayed at hotel JL and loved it and I consider myself to be a hotel snob. The rooms were very clean and they had a honest bar system which they gave us most of our drinks free. The location was great next to designer shops and a park on one side and the museum on the other. I would definitely return. Oh and the mini pancake things are at the end of the block, sooooo good!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
As part of "the group"' date=' I agree with our choice of hotel, which I found.:rolleyes:[/quote']

Lynn - hope you remember me. We traveled together on the Prinsendam a couple of years ago and played mah jongg together several times. My husband, Neil and I will also be in Amsterdam, but in late August/September 2018. Also looking for hotel.

I had looked at the Banks Mansion that Jacquie mentioned, but wonder if it is the JL that you and Gigianne are staying at? I know it is way in advance, but I'm a planner (at least I think I am).

Regards,

Mickie, Hernando, FL:)