Looking for a relaxing Viking cruise with considerable port time

MalibooNewYork

We took the Chateau, wine, etc. and the Danube Waltz cruises. We enjoyed the chateau cruise the most because it was leisurely and we spent quite a bit of time in the ports, particularly Bordeaux, so that we could putter around.

We're looking for the same experience for our next cruise. I mentioned southern France -- the cruise that goes to Avignon; my friend mentioned the Rhine or the Douro. We would appreciate any information.

I wouldn't recommend the Douro for port time if you want to wander around on your own. All of the excursions involve being bussed to a location away from port; the ports are small towns or docks with nothing around. The Rhone has more opportunity for port time, particularly in Lyon and Avignon. I can't speak for the Rhine...our Rhine cruise in 2015 was disrupted by high water levels that closed the river for a day or two, so we ended up docking in some strange locations in the middle of nowhere. We have enjoyed all four of our Viking cruises, all very different, and are looking forward to our fifth cruise in April 2018.

Our cruise experience last Spring was our first on an European river. We weren't sure what to expect but knew it needed to be port intensive. We wanted to be "up close and personal". So we researched, checked the CC reviews and Boards and decided on the Avignon to Lyon cruise -- were very pleased. We had lots of port time in some fabulous little towns and enough time in each that we didn't feel pushed. While several of the local guides were exceptional (Palace of the Popes, Chateauneuf du Pape, Lyon for three examples), a couple were so-so and as a result we just ventured off on our own and had plenty of time to explore and head back to the ship within a good timeframe.

Viking provides port maps at the desk as you leave. Just jot down the ship phone number and docking location just in case. LOL. We loved the Rhone and will repeat that route once we get a few more river cruises checked off our bucket list.

As well we agree with OneSixtyToOne that Bruges shouldn't be missed, as our UK friends might say, we were "gob smacked"!

As always, enjoy and safe cruising.

We did the Rhine Getaway last fall and we never felt rushed. We always seemed to have sufficient time in the ports to see and do things on our own. We did all the included tours as well, though you don’t have to. We also had some daytime cruising on the river and that was relaxing. The Rhine Gorge with all the Castles was wonderful.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't know if I should start another thread or not but I have a related question. On the Rhine cruise and on the Rhone Cruise (Lyon, Avignon) does Viking dock in the towns so that you can walk off the ship for shopping, sightseeing, etc?

Thank you.

On our Rhine cruise we were always docked in a town but sometimes the excursions we went on required a bus to get there. In Cologne, for instance, some boats were docked in the old town by the Dom. We were docked further away and were bused to Dom Square - about 20 minutes, but there were things to do within walking distance.

In Koblenz, they dropped those of us going to Marksburg off. The ship continued to Breisach. Those who didn’t go to Marksburg could get off and walk around there. Same with Heidelberg and Strasbourg. There was always a town - just not necessarily the one the excursion went to.

Sent from my iPad using Forums