Queens Grill questions

Squat

Dear all

Although I have traveled last year on QV in QG I realise now, that I have not used many of the possibilities and would like to this time (in less than two weeks I will be on QV :D). May I kindly ask the experienced QG travelers to answer some questions:

- What are the times I am allowed to call my butler (my last one said only between 5 pm and 7 pm)

- I read somewhere that you can order the breakfast from QG also to your room. Would you preorder that the day before and how? Through the butler?

- If I would like to have a little bit of caviar, preferably as pre dinner canapés, who should I address that to?

- If on the lunch menu is nothing which I like, what are the typical meals which you can always order?

- What would my butler's task typically be apart from cleaning my room, bringing preordered breakfast and bringing the canapés in the evening? Or better - what do you typically ask your butler to do apart from the mentioned?

- As I do not like and drink spirits, could I also have another Prosecco in the minibar instead of a bottle of spirits? Last time the butler was very strict and said either spirit or a bottle of red wine (which I choose and did not drink it because I did not like it).

- Would it be impertinent to ask the butler to iron an evening dress in case it needs it after being in the suitcase?

- If I would like to reserve a box at the theatre, would the Concierge do that for me?

Thank you so much.

Squat

Let’s see,

Your butler has more than one suite to take care of, on our last cruise he had ten suites. Remember that, because they won’t get there as soon as, you snap your fingers.

They will not iron your dress, but can take it for dry cleaning which you will pay for.

The cabin steward/stewardess will clean you cabin.

We’ve only been on QM2, but for breakfast you hang your request on the door before you go to bed.

You can actually ask for dinner in your room from QG.

You can ask for something special for you meal 24 hours in advance and they will do it.

Do they have boxes in the theater, I never noticed any.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks Cmdr Cody for your answer. I am absolutely aware of the fact that my butler has to look after other suites as well. And for sure I am not the finger-snapping type of person. But last time I did not see any advantage in having a butler compared to just have a room steward who looks after your room. I know I can have lunch and dinner from QG in the room, but I thought someone had once mentioned that also breakfast is possible.

Two advantages I found of having a butler:

1. Providing the freshest green smoothie straight from the Grills Galley as per our specs twice a day (for dietary reasons). I tried asking for that on a later Cruise in Britannia class, offering to picking up myself, but that was not possible.

2. Helping me with my bow tie.

Not justifying the extra cash for an upgrade per session, probably, but nice to have.

Dear all

Although I have traveled last year on QV in QG I realise now, that I have not used many of the possibilities and would like to this time (in less than two weeks I will be on QV :D). May I kindly ask the experienced QG travelers to answer some questions:

- What are the times I am allowed to call my butler (my last one said only between 5 pm and 7 pm)

Your Butler will have his/her phone clipped to his/her belt and will usually answer it pretty quickly, even if he/she can't facilitate the request immediately. I seem to recall they finish around 8.30 pm ish but then I have been to cabin parties where the Butler served until around 10pm.

- I read somewhere that you can order the breakfast from QG also to your room. Would you preorder that the day before and how? Through the butler?

You would normally put your breakfast request out the night before but we have phoned up our butler in the morning and had breakfast delivered by our butler an hour later.

- If I would like to have a little bit of caviar, preferably as pre dinner canapés, who should I address that to?

I usually like caviar on a number of occasions, as an appetizer but have had it served by the butler at canapes time instead of the rather paltry default offerings, which we always cancel.The butler will organise it for you.

- If on the lunch menu is nothing which I like, what are the typical meals which you can always order?

Off menu requests.Given time, the galley will produce whatever you want as long as the ingredients are on the ship. I'm rather partial to sushi at lunch time. You'll find the following day's menus will be in your door fan before you go to dinner so maybe a quick perusal and you can decide if you want to order an unusual dish for the following day. Equally, breakfast time is OK for most [2pm that day deadline springs to mind] dinner requests.

Lunch time, if the request isn't too unusual, breakfast ordering should give sufficient time. Anything which is on any menu on the ship, can be produced in the Grills galley. I often ask for Bamboo dishes and go with the Maitre'd as to which day it will be served. Peking Duck needs a minimum of three days notice.

- What would my butler's task typically be apart from cleaning my room, bringing preordered breakfast and bringing the canapés in the evening? Or better - what do you typically ask your butler to do apart from the mentioned?

If you hold a cabin party, in our experence, our butler usually insists on serving. He/she is very happy to produce a very nice hot and cold array of canapes for your guests, a cheese board, soft drinks such as freshly squeezed juice and will order your alcohol requirements [you sign for those] for you.

We have never taken up the unpacking/packing service.

- As I do not like and drink spirits, could I also have another Prosecco in the minibar instead of a bottle of spirits? Last time the butler was very strict and said either spirit or a bottle of red wine (which I choose and did not drink it because I did not like it).

As you know, having had a QG cabin before, you'll be given a small choice of wines/spirits for the cabin [two bottles which in our experience are replaced when finished] but ask nicely and if your choice isn't there, as long as it's not too much of a stretch i.e. really premium, there will be no problem. Prosecco should be fine.

- Would it be impertinent to ask the butler to iron an evening dress in case it needs it after being in the suitcase?

The butler will take it away to be pressed but there will be a laundry charge.

- If I would like to reserve a box at the theatre, would the Concierge do that for me?

Book the theatre boxes with the lounge concierge.

Thank you so much.

Squat

Hope that helps. The Head Waiter is always happy to facilitate off menu requests in our experience. Nothing, is too much trouble.

As to when you can call your butler. When you need him or her. They usually have someone covering all the time. The breakfast card has a large number of selections. If you want something that is not on the breakfast menu, I think you have a better chance of getting it in the QGrill.

I had one iffy experience with a butler and I was not happy. I called the Hotel Manager and it got resolved immediately. If you want Procecco and it is on the ship, then asking nicely as I always do, should result in your getting it. And if the butler wants to foist a bottle of the dreaded Pol Acker "Champagne" say NO thank you.

Don't let the butler organize you. You are the Passenger and you are paying a pretty penny to travel in QG. But if the butler and the suite team do a great job, give them a significant monetary thank you at the end of the voyage. You would be amazed how welcome they will make you on your next voyage. I also tip the waiters too. I know there will be some who think that paying more than the Cunard tip is silly, but it has worked well for me. These people work hard for their money.

The Royal court theatre on Victoria and Elizabeth are wonderful venus. They will have two or more special evenings where you can reserve a box for additional cost. You will receive a canape or sweet welcome with champagne in a special reserved area, and another small bottle of good champagne in the box. The Concierge can organize that, but do it early in the voyage as they go fast.

Other than the special nights in theses special boxes, it's first come, first served.

Very useful thread, has anyone tried ordering sushi instead of canapés or is this pushing it.

It's definitely worth asking about. One of our butlers, who knew I liked sushi, asked us if he could have the galley prepare some for us instead of the usual canapes. We said yes and so had a tray [it was a large tray too] of sushi. After about the third day of these, we had to say thanks but no more. We didn't want to seem ungrateful by leaving them but they were in danger of spoiling dinner.

Bigmike Is referring to the Theatre on the 'vista class Queens', ( Q.Vic & QE ) not QM2.

That's correct. Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth have theaters after the style of English Music Halls. The Queen Mary 2's is more like a Las Vegas Showroom.

The theaters, and the dining patio between the QG and PG restaurants are two things I miss on the QM2, but I love the sense of space on her.

Dear all

Thank you so much.

Squat

1) Never inquired of Lily(our butler) as to latest you could call.

2) You'll have a nice menu you may order from. Much nicer than in standard rooms.

3) Address the Caviar Canapés to your butler. I never had so much Caviar in my life!! Some butlers, we found were not too accommodating. If that becomes the case, politely tell them your requests. If that doesn't work see the front desk. It's rare but has happened.

4) You can pretty much order what you like. There is some waiting time if you're really go off menu. Possibly a day notice. I've ordered baked stuffed Maine Lobster along with Sweetbreads & Foie Gras. Yeah, we're real foodies & in the food industry.

5) I've had clothes mended, had them make shore excursion reservations, but other than that not too much. Lily had me at the Caviar & that was good enough! That was the last year of the "good stuff" by the way.

6) WE got pretty decent Vodka(Grey Goose)most of the time it's Absolute. I'd say you should not have an issue.

7) Should not be a problem. They will bring it to laundry services & they'll do it.

8) Yes, should be easy. Just DON'T wait until the last minute. As they are limited.

Can someone tell me how a private cocktail party works in one's stateroom? What's done as far as drinks are concerned? What's available to be served? How does one choose? Is it limited to the one spirit/one wine that are complimentary?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

I hosted a party of 8 in my suite once ahead of dinner. The butler sat down with me the day before and helped me select hot and cold canapés and organised two bottles of wine. I also ordered some champagne on top of that, but I paid for that.

There were about 6 hot and 6 cold canapé options. Despite asking for simple servings, there was way too much food.

On the night, the butler set everything up and then served alongside a colleague. It was a wonderful little gathering and quite a seamless process too.