cancellation after deposit only paid

jasperado

Hello

Just a quickie :cool:

We have booked a cruise for March 2019, paid the 5% deposit and gambled that we would get the time off work. Of course, DH can't get the time off and he won't let me go without him!

I know we can re-book and P and O will allow us to transfer the deposit to another cruise "of similar or more cost at time of booking", but I can't find out if the new booked cruise has to be within a certain amount of time.

I was thinking of cancelling in November, as this is the time the balance would be due, unless of course, an outstanding deal was to surface in the meantime.

So if I cancelled in November, would I have to re-book immediately and what cruises (dates not ports) would be available to book at that time?

Thank you

Sorry to hear you have to cancel due to hubby's work.

If your husband has dates that match another cruise date then I would be contacting P&O

on the phone as soon as possible as the ships begin to fill up with new bookings they may decline

your change of booking request. Which is shown in (17)

If you click on the link below please also read a table set out in (38)

Only my opinion but I would sort it sooner than later hoping that it cost us the £20 change fee.

Hope this helps . ( Could you please come back and let us know your outcome as this will also help others -Thank you )

http://www.pocruises.com/Global/Legal/booking-conditions-2017.pdf

17. After a Package has been booked, P&O Cruises will try to accommodate any requestfor a change, but such changes are always at P&O Cruises discretion and may be subject to an administration charge of £20. Guests who have booked a Saver shall not be entitled to make changes to their Package and the provisions of this clause 17 shall not apply.

38. The Guest may cancel the Contract at any time prior to the commencement of the Package via their travel agent or, for Guests who have booked direct, by calling our Reservations Department, but in that event P&O Cruises shall be entitled to levy a cancellation charge as a percentage of the price paid in accordance with the following scales.P&O Cruises Select Price and Early Saver:Period before departure within which written notice of cancellation is received by P&O Cruises Cancellation charges (percentage of price)

From the date of booking until 91 days before departure Deposit

90 to 57 days 50%

56 to 42 days 60%

41 to 16 days 75%

15 to 6 days 90%

Less than 6 days before departure or failure to embark.For fly-cruises, departure day is the date of the flight departure.100%

Saver:

Period before departure within which written notice of cancellation is received by P&O Cruises

Cancellation charges(percentage of price)From the date of booking until departure, including failure to embark. 100%

Edited by kalos

Sorry to hear you have to cancel due to hubby's work.

If your husband has dates that match another cruise date then I would be contacting P&O

on the phone as soon as possible as the ships begin to fill up with new bookings they may decline

your change of booking request. Which is shown in (17)

If you click on the link below please also read a table set out in (38)

Only my opinion but I would sort it sooner than later hoping that it cost us the £20 change fee.

Hope this helps . ( Could you please come back and let us know your outcome as this will also help others -Thank you )

http://www.pocruises.com/Global/Legal/booking-conditions-2017.pdf

17. After a Package has been booked, P&O Cruises will try to accommodate any requestfor a change, but such changes are always at P&O Cruises discretion and may be subject to an administration charge of £20. Guests who have booked a Saver shall not be entitled to make changes to their Package and the provisions of this clause 17 shall not apply.

38. The Guest may cancel the Contract at any time prior to the commencement of the Package via their travel agent or, for Guests who have booked direct, by calling our Reservations Department, but in that event P&O Cruises shall be entitled to levy a cancellation charge as a percentage of the price paid in accordance with the following scales.P&O Cruises Select Price and Early Saver:Period before departure within which written notice of cancellation is received by P&O Cruises Cancellation charges (percentage of price)

From the date of booking until 91 days before departure Deposit

90 to 57 days 50%

56 to 42 days 60%

41 to 16 days 75%

15 to 6 days 90%

Less than 6 days before departure or failure to embark.For fly-cruises, departure day is the date of the flight departure.100%

Saver:

Period before departure within which written notice of cancellation is received by P&O Cruises

Cancellation charges(percentage of price)From the date of booking until departure, including failure to embark. 100%

Thankyou for plucking out the T&Cs for me, I just couldnt think how to access them. The reason I want to hold out is, we still really want to do this cruise. It is the Britannia 20 day reposition from the Caribbean. The reason DH has been blocked from having the time off is.........that a new fellow has been taken on with one of the weeks booked as a holiday, and of course the firm have honoured his commitment. So we are hoping the bloke will leave before November and no harm done lol.

To be honest it was such a low deposit that if we lose it we could probably find a cruise that might be cheaper than the £200 odd pounds we lose.

But, will there be a new release of cruises before or around November this year does any one know?

Thankyou for your help

Edited by jasperado
speeling mistook :)

I may be totally wrong here but I have a niggly feeling that although you have only paid 5% deposit for now (that was a booking perk) that they may still consider the deposit amount is 15% in which case could that be what they'd claim should you cancel - albeit 90 days before departure?

I've read kalos' post re the T&Cs and there's no mention of what happens with a reduced deposit offer and as I say, I could be way off beam with this but for the sake of asking the question of P&O I'd be tempted to check that you would only lose what you've already paid out and with that promotion you aren't committed to paying the full deposit should you cancel. I'd be sorry if you got caught out so although I'm far from sure about this I thought it best I pose the question. Good luck anyway, hope it all works out as you would wish.

I may be totally wrong here but I have a niggly feeling that although you have only paid 5% deposit for now (that was a booking perk) that they may still consider the deposit amount is 15% in which case could that be what they'd claim should you cancel - albeit 90 days before departure?

I've read kalos' post re the T&Cs and there's no mention of what happens with a reduced deposit offer and as I say, I could be way off beam with this but for the sake of asking the question of P&O I'd be tempted to check that you would only lose what you've already paid out and with that promotion you aren't committed to paying the full deposit should you cancel. I'd be sorry if you got caught out so although I'm far from sure about this I thought it best I pose the question. Good luck anyway, hope it all works out as you would wish.

It might be best to double check with P and O but last year we paid a deposit of £50pp whilst onboard and only lost that amount when we cancelled but I would be interested to know if you find out because we have paid a 5% deposit on a Cunard cruise for Jan 2019 which we shall probably go on but theres a chance something might come up.

Thank you Ladies.........I will pop down to the High Street TA that did the booking and will ask them to find out for me (make them work for once lol) and I will post the outcome on here for reference.

Might take a week or so for me to get to the TA and then the reply to come back.

Regards

kruzseeka - yes, that's a good point you have made there. We recently were about to make a booking on a landbased holiday with a reduced deposit offer of £30. No brainer we thought, but then read the T&Cs to this special offer and learned that in the event of a cancellation, we lost the £30 plus the difference between the reduced depost offer amount and the usual regular deposit amount plus an admin charge.

I really don't think P&O do this, but definitely best to check.

kruzseeka - yes, that's a good point you have made there. We recently were about to make a booking on a landbased holiday with a reduced deposit offer of £30. No brainer we thought, but then read the T&Cs to this special offer and learned that in the event of a cancellation, we lost the £30 plus the difference between the reduced depost offer amount and the usual regular deposit amount plus an admin charge.

I really don't think P&O do this, but definitely best to check.

Glad you didn't get caught out Scriv - and as you say, P&O may not have the same T&Cs with respect to the 5% booking offer but best checked out. I look forward to hearing back from jasperado and learning what P&Os stance is on this. Worth knowing - if there isn't a penalty above the 5% it may persuade me to take the plunge with a booking or two! ;)

Hello

Just heard back from the TA regarding the possible cancelling of our cruise. There is another thread, funnily enough, with a wonderful explanation of what the admin charges would be and the new departure time limitations.

I queried the 5% only deposit and was told that P and O will not expect a 10% extra if we choose to cancel the cruise and forfeit the deposit without re-booking a more expensive cruise.

This cruise might still happen for us, I hope it does, but as it was only about £250 deposit on a £5000 cruise, to have to lose £100 admin charges AND re-book a more expensive cruise, I think we would rather lose the deposit and maybe book a cheaper cruise, but we will ensure we get the time off work first :D

So for the gamblers amongst you.........maybe book with a 5% deposit and see what happens

Regards

Thanks for getting back jasperado with that clarification. Glad I was wrong about a possible surcharge up to the normal deposit amount. Really good that P&O aren't going to charge you more than the 5% deposit you've already paid and in the circumstances I would do the same as you - see what happens and risk losing £250 hoping you can book something different separately (not transfer the booking) when the time comes. Good luck - hope it all works out well for you.