Bermuda from Southern Ports?

cltnccruisers

We had our honeymoon in Bermuda in 1976. I'd love to go back but all the X cruises that call there are from up north. We live in NC now (used to be from Pgh) and I'll be darned if I'm going to drive to Port Liberty to go to Bermuda. Does X ever do any Bermuda stops from the Fla ports?

Interesting...I got curious and checked some maps, it is a SHORTER drive to Cape Liberty than it is to Port Everglades from Charlotte! (10 hrs to PE and 9 1/2 to CL).

Airfare looks pretty reasonable, too, so don't give up on the trip - and I'll never pass up a chance to spend an extra day or two in New York.

We had our honeymoon in Bermuda in 1976. I'd love to go back but all the X cruises that call there are from up north. We live in NC now (used to be from Pgh) and I'll be darned if I'm going to drive to Port Liberty to go to Bermuda. Does X ever do any Bermuda stops from the Fla ports?

Our April 2019 Edge TA stops in Bermuda after leaving FT Lauderdale. I have also seen other TA itineraries with stops in Bermuda. It seems as though X had short (perhaps 5 days) cruises to Bermuda at one point, but I haven’t noticed them recently. If I understand you correctly, you’ve moved from Pittsburgh to NC? If so, I can certainly understand why you’d want to drive south instead of heading north through the mixing bowl and the other usual traffic messes. I hope you find a nice Bermuda itinerary:)

Our April 2019 Edge TA stops in Bermuda after leaving FT Lauderdale. I have also seen other TA itineraries with stops in Bermuda. It seems as though X had short (perhaps 5 days) cruises to Bermuda at one point, but I haven’t noticed them recently. If I understand you correctly, you’ve moved from Pittsburgh to NC? If so, I can certainly understand why you’d want to drive south instead of heading north through the mixing bowl and the other usual traffic messes. I hope you find a nice Bermuda itinerary:)

We hate snow. :) Always talked about retiring in the Carolinas. I never understood why you would work 40 years in one place then retire someplace else. If you like the someplace else GET A JOB THERE. In 2001 DW realized I was right.

We're looking at a couple of westbound TAs that stop at Bermuda - that may be how we go. I was just hoping to find a 3 or 5 day on something better than Carnival. Too bad that's almost all the goes out of Charleston - one of our favorite towns.

Interesting...I got curious and checked some maps, it is a SHORTER drive to Cape Liberty than it is to Port Everglades from Charlotte! (10 hrs to PE and 9 1/2 to CL).

Airfare looks pretty reasonable, too, so don't give up on the trip - and I'll never pass up a chance to spend an extra day or two in New York.

Born in NJ, lived mostly in the Northeast. Easier driving in the South. Never took more than 9 hours to PE and always could do it in shorts. :cool:

We hate snow. :) Always talked about retiring in the Carolinas. I never understood why you would work 40 years in one place then retire someplace else. If you like the someplace else GET A JOB THERE. In 2001 DW realized I was right.

We're looking at a couple of westbound TAs that stop at Bermuda - that may be how we go. I was just hoping to find a 3 or 5 day on something better than Carnival. Too bad that's almost all the goes out of Charleston - one of our favorite towns.

I definitely understand! I didn’t grow up with it, and I can do without it. We talk about retiring to NC (DH grew up there, and my dad & stepmom moved there a few years ago, so we’ve both got family there). I would be able to work there, but his career is here, so moving before retirement isn’t an option for us.

I haven’t been on Carnival, but my dad & stepmom cruised from Charleston on Carnival and had a great time. My dad hates flying, so I’m sure being able to drive to the port made his perception of the cruise a bit more rosy lol, but he really did sound like it was an enjoyable experience.

Born in NJ, lived mostly in the Northeast. Easier driving in the South. Never took more than 9 hours to PE and always could do it in shorts. :cool:

Another option is Amtrak. You can board in Charlotte and get off in Miami. We took Amtrak from Raleigh to Miami last year for a X cruise and it went well. You don't have to worry about traffic and arrive much more rested.

BTW: Born near Pgh but moved to NC over 30 years ago - never going to move back north.

Another option is Amtrak. You can board in Charlotte and get off in Miami. We took Amtrak from Raleigh to Miami last year for a X cruise and it went well. You don't have to worry about traffic and arrive much more rested.

BTW: Born near Pgh but moved to NC over 30 years ago - never going to move back north.

How long was it by train? I looked into taking it a couple of years ago - picking it up in Charleston - and thought it looked really nice.

We did a Costa cruise to Bermuda from Miami a few years ago. They don't do that anymore.

However, Oceania does one (maybe two) 10 dayers from Florida every Spring. Great itinerary! Overnights in Charleston, SC, then on to Bermuda. This year's may be slightly different. Check them out.

We are doing the Nov 3 TA from Southampton ending in Ft. Lauderdale with an overnight in Bermuda. Check it out.

We are doing the Nov 3 TA from Southampton ending in Ft. Lauderdale with an overnight in Bermuda. Check it out.

That's definitely one of the itineraries we're looking at. Won't be until 2020, though. DW has her heart set on an Iberian cruise for 2019. Start in Amsterdam, end in Barcelona with stops including Lisbon, Gibraltar, Cartagena.

How long was it by train? I looked into taking it a couple of years ago - picking it up in Charleston - and thought it looked really nice.

Take the train almost to the ship in Bayonne, probably about the same time as going to Miami. Train can take you to either Newark Penn Station or the airport. Quick ride to Bayonne, fairly new terminal and parking. Nice thing about the Celebrity Summit to Bermuda is you get three days in Bermuda. Also, you can go right into NYC and take one of the other ships.

Take the train almost to the ship in Bayonne, probably about the same time as going to Miami. Train can take you to either Newark Penn Station or the airport. Quick ride to Bayonne, fairly new terminal and parking. Nice thing about the Celebrity Summit to Bermuda is you get three days in Bermuda. Also, you can go right into NYC and take one of the other ships.

Something to consider for sure. I worked for a railroad for almost 20 years - love 'em.

Carnival also sails out of Charleston. And RCI sails out of Baltimore which is closer than most FL ports.

Just to be certain of the differences in itineraries, RCI out of Baltimore only offers 5 night cruises with 2 days in Bermuda but Celebrity offers 7-night cruises out of Port Liberty with 3 days in Bermuda.

Our honeymoon was in Bermuda and we have been back there a few times on cruises including two Celebrity Cruises.

Keith

We have similar experiences - our Honeymoon (36 years ago this September) was in Bermuda as well and we have been back several times on both a land vacation and cruises with RCI and Celebrity. One of our favorite places!

Something to consider for sure. I worked for a railroad for almost 20 years - love 'em.

Also, I posted this on another current Bermuda thread but if you are interested in going out of Jersey, go to the East Coast departures board. There is a thread called Cape Liberty 411 with lots of information and great people to help you.

Also, I posted this on another current Bermuda thread but if you are interested in going out of Jersey, go to the East Coast departures board. There is a thread called Cape Liberty 411 with lots of information and great people to help you.

It's not an imminent trip but something I will definitely keep in mind. Thank you.

Does X ever do any Bermuda stops from the Fla ports?

Other than repositioning or transatlantic cruises, I don't think so. Think about it- from Florida ports, it's much closer/easier/cheaper for a ship to visit Mexico/Bahamas/Caribbean islands, so no need to go all the way to Bermuda to find warm weather. But those destinations are likewise much farther away from New York/Baltimore, so it makes sense to do Bermuda cruises from the more northern ports.

We boarded in Raleigh in the mid-evening and arrived in Miami about 6PM the following day, so it was almost 24 hours. Since it was overnight, we got a roomette sleeper, but many people do it in coach.