Port of Call Change-Insurance Claim

MEME&JOE92

Well, I suppose it would be helpful to know why you feel you need to file an insurance claim (now or post cruise) under these circumstances? I'm not questioning the legitimacy of your question, just what factors you are considering in a potential insurance claim? :confused:

Well, I suppose it would be helpful to know why you feel you need to file an insurance claim (now or post cruise) under these circumstances? I'm not questioning the legitimacy of your question, just what factors you are considering in a potential insurance claim? :confused:

Some travel insurers offer a fixed compensation for itinerary changes. If it's a benefit of their policy, it doesn't make sense to not claim it.

Just received an email from Carnival changing our itinerary. Should we file a claim with our travel insurer now or wait till we return from our cruise? Never done this before.

Carnival Magic Oct. 7th.

Carnival will refund any excursion fees and port fees. There is no refund other than that because you accepted your Ticket Contract which says Carnival can change ports for any reason. Exactly what claim are you going to make and for what. You have lost no money.

Carnival will refund any excursion fees and port fees. There is no refund other than that because you accepted your Ticket Contract which says Carnival can change ports for any reason. Exactly what claim are you going to make and for what. You have lost no money.

Sorry you are wrong. This has nothing to do with prepaid Excursions or port fees. Please read the policies I quoted and posted a pic of. You do not need to be out any money. It’s a one time payable benefit regardless of Shore Excursions or port fees. They pay when your cruise itinerary changes before you depart no matter what.

This is the exact policy I have. I paid for it so why not use it, right!

I think the OP has answered the questions we had, now as to their question: when to file a claim? I would think that, unless there is some policy fine print which specifies when an itinerary change claim can be filed, I say go for it now. :)

Check out Nationwide Choice Cruise and Nationwide Luxury Cruise policies. It certainly will. Getting ready to cash in on one for a family member as well.

I did look at what you showed which was a nice sales brochure. Now I would like to see your Certificate of Coverage. I know of no insurance company in the travel industry that will pay you money when you have absolutely no money lost.

I did look at what you showed which was a nice sales brochure. Now I would like to see your Certificate of Coverage. I know of no insurance company in the travel industry that will pay you money when you have absolutely no money lost.

Well now you do. Call Nationwide or InsureMyTrip. There was even someone on here that had this insurance and said she made the claim and she was called a liar seven ways to Sunday. She got her money. Wish I remember who it was so I can find out whether to file now or later. You can see that prepaid Shore Excursions are a separate benefit.

The question still remains: Given this very specific benefit of this cruise specific policy, WHEN do you file for the benefit?

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

Your experience is not the entirety of existence. 😉

This is not an uncommon travel insurance benefit. Sadly as a resident of Florida, for some reason I am unable to purchase such coverage.

My print screen is being wonky, so you'll have to accept my copy & paste from my Certificate of Coverage:

ITINERARY CHANGEIn the event a Cruise makes a Change in Your Trip Itinerary prior to Your actual departure date we will pay up to theMaximum Benefit shown on the Confirmation of Coverage.Change in Your Trip Itinerary shall mean the Cruise has a documented change of Port of Call from the scheduled itinerary.Verification by the Cruise of the change in the scheduled Trip Itinerary will be necessary for claim payment.

ITINERARY CHANGE – INCONVENIENCEIn the event a Cruise makes a Change in Your Trip Itinerary after Your actual departure date we will pay up to the Maximum NSHTC 2500 NW Cruise – Choice – Ed. 12/1/14Benefit shown on the Confirmation of Coverage.Change in Your Trip Itinerary shall mean the Cruise has a documented; 1) fire; or 2) mechanical breakdown; or 3) virus thataffects 30% or more passengers; or 4) an event on board that suspends 30% or more of the ship’s services for 24 hours; or5) a delay leaving or arriving at/from a Port of Call of more than 3 hours from the scheduled itinerary.Verification by the Cruise of the change in the scheduled Trip itinerary will be necessary for claim payment.

ITINERARY CHANGE – PRE-PAID EXCURSIONIn the event a Cruise makes a change in Your Trip itinerary after Your actual departure date that prevents You fromparticipating in an event/activity pre-paid prior to departure and scheduled on Your Trip itinerary, nonrefundable pre-paidevent/activity expenses will be reimbursed up to the Maximum Benefit shown on the Confirmation of Coverage.Benefits will not be paid if the event/activity is rescheduled during the course of the Trip.Verification by the Cruise of the change in the scheduled Trip itinerary will be necessary for claim payment.

Have a nice day.

Your experience is not the entirety of existence. [emoji6]

This is not an uncommon travel insurance benefit. Sadly as a resident of Florida, for some reason I am unable to purchase such coverage.

Thank you. It’s difficult for some to accept that things can be different than what they have experienced. I may be guilty of that sometimes myself. Unfortunately I am in a state where I can’t get that benefit, but my family member qualifies and has the policy. I guess I’ll call InsureMyTrip tonight and see what they need to do.

It pays to do a little shopping around for insurance and step out of the comfort zone so many get used to. It could pay off quite nicely monetarily [emoji3].

Wish I had that. My husband and I would each get $4800! Can I ask how much the insurance cost?

Actually I beleive it's $1250 as a 1 time payment no matter how many ports there are that are missed. But I'll find out tomorrow. It doesn't say "$1250 per occurrence" so that's why I think that way. It was approx $150 but just like other insurances, it's based upon age and amount insured.

I called InsureMyTrip, verified yes that coverage is just what it says, and that they will be getting the benefit. He said they should be able to file now, but to double check with Nationwide tomorrow when they open and they can tell us what the process is. He transferred me just in case they were open, but they closed 30 min prior. The Cruise Claims number is 866-281-0334. So OP, call in the AM!

Actually I beleive it's $1250 as a 1 time payment no matter how many ports there are that are missed. But I'll find out tomorrow. It doesn't say "$1250 per occurrence" so that's why I think that way. It was approx $150 but just like other insurances, it's based upon age and amount insured.

I called InsureMyTrip, verified yes that coverage is just what it says, and that they will be getting the benefit. He said they should be able to file now, but to double check with Nationwide tomorrow when they open and they can tell us what the process is. He transferred me just in case they were open, but they closed 30 min prior. The Cruise Claims number is 866-281-0334. So OP, call in the AM!

Yep. I misread it. Still....we would have gotten $2500, which would have paid for the cruise. I will look into this for my next trip

I just emailed them. I will let you know when I hear from them.