Drinks in cabin

Cruising for the first time? Our members will have you cruising like a pro in no time! Don't forget to read our 8000 reviews written by first timers just like you!
First Time Cruisers
You May Also Want to Read: Over 9,000 Published Cruise Reviews by First Time Cruisers

Best advice for first-time cruisers; learn how to pick a cabin, find the best cruise bargain, tips on what to pack.

Browse Cruise Critic's First Time Cruiser Resources (articles)
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:52 AM.
Fredericksburg, va. USA
88,338 Posts
Joined May 2001
Some cruise lines allow you to bring some soda...some don't. We don't drink soda very much, but if we do want one, we just buy a can...that makes 2 glasses over ice. On most lines, a can will run $3-4+.
Point Richmond CA
6,952 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Originally posted by cb at sea
Some cruise lines allow you to bring some soda...some don't. We don't drink soda very much, but if we do want one, we just buy a can...that makes 2 glasses over ice. On most lines, a can will run $3-4+.

And some other cruise lines provide it at no extra cost.
LI NY
679 Posts
Joined Oct 2009
Some lines have a soft drink package, usually covers fizzy stuff from a bartender, not cans or bottles
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Next cruise, another transatlantic round trip - Cunard M929B
Pepsicola FL
11,127 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
Originally posted by carlucci40
I’m just wondering what most people do, bring ther soft drinks with them or pay the outrageous price of $10 for a 6 pack. Thoughts?

depends on the cruise line. many do not permit you to bring soda on board at all.

the soda only drink package is usually quite reasonable if you drink a lot of soda( more than 3 cans a day) Royal even has the Coke Freestyle machines on many of their ships to offer even more variety.

I believe Disney allows you to bring as much soda as you want in cans aboard. and its free on board( everybody else charges for it)

as for me, I don't drink soda at all. the included free lemonade, iced tea and flavored water is perfectly fine for my daily consumption.
Point Richmond CA
6,952 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Originally posted by spookwife
(everybody else charges for it)

Not "everybody." Some cruise lines provide soda, bottled water (even Pellegrino), juices, specialty coffees at no extra charge. Included alcohol varies on these mostly premium or luxury lines.
BTW, this is just one of many cost factors that should be considered when comparing cruise prices. Rather than cabin price, always compare "net daily rate" cost (e.g., are airfare/air credit, internet, specialty restaurants included in the cabin price?).
OH
952 Posts
Joined May 2017
I sail Carnival, and we always bring a 12-pack each. That's about $7 max. Although we never drink it all. I might bring less next time.

To me, there is no better soda than a cold can. Coke freestyle is a close second. If I can bring my own cans, I'm doing that.
SoCal Gal
6,366 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
Carnival allows you to bring a 12 pack aboard.
Some cruisers who fly in will make a point of stopping at a store to pick up one 12-pack per passenger. Others who drive bring it from home. Others get the non-alcoholic drink package. Then there are those who buy one or two soft drinks per cruise. Finally, there are some who don't touch the stuff.

We will buy one or two soft drinks per cruise.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Save
New Cumberland,PA, USA
30,495 Posts
Joined May 2000
DW always brings a supply of Crystal Light ice teas mixes so that she can keep some in the cabin fridge. We also tell our steward that we want plenty of ice (normally filled twice a day). On some cruises we will have a drink package, and in those cases we will often bring drinks (alcohol, cans of soda or Perrier) back to the cabin.

Hank
Florida
30 Posts
Joined Jun 2014
I’m just wondering what most people do, bring ther soft drinks with them or pay the outrageous price of $10 for a 6 pack. Thoughts?
My DH and I have done all 3 ways. We too don't drink that much is why we don't bring our own. To make the run down.
1. Even though we got FTTF we still have to lug the drinks on the ship. You can't place them in your luggage.
2. Getting the Bottomless Bubbles has become way to expensive. Started out at $25. pp now it's at $69. pp + tips every time we get it.
3. Now we get the soda from the Fun Shops. Ya $10.00 is a little steep but the benefits out way the price. We buy 1 case of water, 2-6 pack of soda 1 for him and one for me. It lasts the whole 7 day trip. Ya, it does cost us $24. but we have found it's better than paying $3.00 every time we want a soda from the bar or paying the large price for the BBS.
Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app
MA.
5,955 Posts
Joined Jan 2002
Originally posted by Flatbush Flyer
And some other cruise lines provide it at no extra cost.
Which ones? I drink a lot of soda and would love to get it included in my cruise fare. Thanks.
Point Richmond CA
6,952 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Originally posted by Rala
Which ones? I drink a lot of soda and would love to get it included in my cruise fare. Thanks.

Pretty much every premium and luxury line includes an unlimited amount of any and all non-alcoholic beverages. Even most of the wine and spirits are complimentary or, at least, available as an included perk option or as a paid package (depending on the particular cruise line).
British Columbia
882 Posts
Joined Jun 2014
Originally posted by Flatbush Flyer
Not "everybody." Some cruise lines provide soda, bottled water (even Pellegrino), juices, specialty coffees at no extra charge. Included alcohol varies on these mostly premium or luxury lines.
BTW, this is just one of many cost factors that should be considered when comparing cruise prices. Rather than cabin price, always compare "net daily rate" cost (e.g., are airfare/air credit, internet, specialty restaurants included in the cabin price?).
Yes, a number of Lines provide complimentary drinks, both alcoholic & non-alcoholic. Our next cruise is with Viking Ocean and they are providing all-inclusive drinks.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Andy & Judi

World Cruise & RV'ing Blog: www.andyandjudi.com

Upcoming Cruises
2020 - Viking Sun World Cruise - LA to Greenwich

Previous Cruises
1976 Uganda - Meddy
1977 Oriana - Vancouver to Sydney
1978 Oriana - UK
1978 Canberra - UK
1979 Uganda - Meddy
1979 Island Princess - Alaska B2B, Mexico B2B
1980 Sun Princess - Alaska B2B, Mexico B2B
1999 Sun Princess - Alaska
2002 Radiance of the Seas - Alaska
2005 Coral Princess - Panama
2005 Dawn Princess - West Coastal
2007 Dawn Princess - Mexico
2008 Island Princess - Panama
2008 Diamond Princess - Asia B2B
2010 Island Princess - Panama
2011 Diamond Princess - Alaska B2B
2013 Sapphire Princess - Alaska B2B
2014 Emerald Princess - Caribbean B2B
2014 Emerald Princess - Trans Atlantic
2015 Sea Princess - World Cruise
2017 CMV Columbus - Baltic
Muscat/Oman, Abu Dhabi/UAE and Sydney/Australia
1,063 Posts
Joined May 2011
Is that expensive?
A ship or restaurant isn't a supermarket.
7 Posts
Joined Jun 2018
Originally posted by teknoge3k
We cruise Carnival and it's 4 of us so we always take 48 sodas on with us. No way I'd pay ship prices for sodas.
So in Carnival, you can bring 12 cans for each passenger? Just curious as i have no experience, how do you bring 48 cans to the ship if you cant put it inside your luggage? Do you carry it around with you until you go to your room? How bout just bring a 2L onboard instead of cans?
Virginia/North Carolina
2,724 Posts
Joined Feb 2016
Originally posted by Noobie_cruiser
So in Carnival, you can bring 12 cans for each passenger? Just curious as i have no experience, how do you bring 48 cans to the ship if you cant put it inside your luggage? Do you carry it around with you until you go to your room? How bout just bring a 2L onboard instead of cans?
You can't take a 2L, cans only. Yes each passenger (even babies) can take 12 cans each. My suitcase has a handle and wheels so I just sit my drinks on top of my suitcase and roll them around until I get to the cruise terminal. Once there, I can carry 4 things of drinks from the cruise terminal to my cabin once I drop my luggage off.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
My cruise blog, www.love2cruise.org
Las Vegas
11,991 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by spookwife
depends on the cruise line. many do not permit you to bring soda on board at all.

the soda only drink package is usually quite reasonable if you drink a lot of soda( more than 3 cans a day) Royal even has the Coke Freestyle machines on many of their ships to offer even more variety.

I believe Disney allows you to bring as much soda as you want in cans aboard. and its free on board( everybody else charges for it)

as for me, I don't drink soda at all. the included free lemonade, iced tea and flavored water is perfectly fine for my daily consumption.
But what is the daily cabin cost on Disney. You pay for it one way or another.

DON
Metro Atlanta
111 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Does NCL offer canned drinks onboard at all? I’ve got the beverage package, but I’ll need a Pepsi when I first wake up and don’t want to have to go down several floors and across the ship just to find a cafe or bar!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature