Luxury section of ship or Luxury Cruise ships?

Luxury Cruising
Is it a state of mind?
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:34 AM.
1,518 Posts
Joined Jun 2003
Originally posted by Toryhere
I agree with you about the noise issue.
Background music in restaurants, planes and shops should be banned by law.
I have to confess I have, on more than one occasion, 'bopped in the aisle'.

I take it we will not be seeing you any time soon in a flash mob.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_hlvRNgGOQ
Florida and New Jersey
1,340 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Jackie - thanks for all the information you shared. I have sailed on some of these ship before I discovered Regent. I agree that by the time you are done adding all the extras, price is not significantly different. Unless we travel with family, we will stick to a Regent.
Sheila
360 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Originally posted by English Voyager
having had several enjoyable holidays in Nuremberg, I wish I had been present when the following 'flash mob' took place:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a23945btJYw
When I saw Nuremberg Igor a moment I was worried that the YouTube clip might be something directed by Leni Reifenstahl.

Thank goodness it was far better than that
1,518 Posts
Joined Jun 2003
When I saw Nuremberg Igor a moment I was worried that the YouTube clip might be something directed by Leni Reifenstahl.

Thank goodness it was far better than that
Triumph of the Will!

She lived to be 101.
California
1,056 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Originally posted by English Voyager
I have to confess I have, on more than one occasion, 'bopped in the aisle'.

I take it we will not be seeing you any time soon in a flash mob.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_hlvRNgGOQ
EV, much as I love Beethoven’s 9th and the feelings it can inspire with its “noise”, this so-called flash mob and the video and audio logistical issues sounded too good and too professional to be believable as anything spontaneous started by a little girl in the street with a recorder and man and woman on the street then chiming in.
Per several internet sites, it was indeed planned and staged by professionals, to unfold as it did

“The performance was orchestrated by a German bank in concert with members of Germany’s Hans Sachs Choir and the Philharmonic Orchestra of Nuremberg. “
California
1,056 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
TC2, thank you for posting this!
Very nice pictures, and balanced assessment.

And BTW, as someone who has two red leather sofas in our weekend house where we will likely retire, and a dining set with chairs that are red, purple, yellow, and blue, I love that bright red-themed carpet
1,518 Posts
Joined Jun 2003
Originally posted by Catlover54
EV, much as I love Beethoven’s 9th and the feelings it can inspire with its “noise”, this so-called flash mob and the video and audio logistical issues sounded too good and too professional to be believable as anything spontaneous started by a little girl in the street with a recorder and man and woman on the street then chiming in.
Per several internet sites, it was indeed planned and staged by professionals, to unfold as it did

“The performance was orchestrated by a German bank in concert with members of Germany’s Hans Sachs Choir and the Philharmonic Orchestra of Nuremberg. “
You have linked to the video of 'Grease'.

By definition, a 'flash mob' does not preclude professionals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIiTdsvCjYo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsGabFKUhoY
Washington State
26,026 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
Originally posted by Catlover54
TC2, thank you for posting this!
Very nice pictures, and balanced assessment.

And BTW, as someone who has two red leather sofas in our weekend house where we will likely retire, and a dining set with chairs that are red, purple, yellow, and blue, I love that bright red-themed carpet
Glad that you enjoyed the thread. I was thinking that the carpeting is the way that it is as apparently there could be 800 children on one cruise (omg). As the result of our NCL cruise, we are trying a premium cruise line in September to compare it to NCL and hope that the food is a bit better. While we are not giving up Regent, short trips on the West Coast are inviting (especially when they are not to Alaska as we have done that five times with one booked again next year). We will be sailing from Vancouver to San Diego and will likely post on this board since we will, once again, be in the luxury section of a non-luxury cruise line!
360 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Originally posted by Travelcat2
Glad that you enjoyed the thread. I was thinking that the carpeting is the way that it is as apparently there could be 800 children on one cruise (omg). As the result of our NCL cruise, we are trying a premium cruise line in September to compare it to NCL and hope that the food is a bit better. While we are not giving up Regent, short trips on the West Coast are inviting (especially when they are not to Alaska as we have done that five times with one booked again next year). We will be sailing from Vancouver to San Diego and will likely post on this board since we will, once again, be in the luxury section of a non-luxury cruise line!
You are really going beyond the call of duty. Taking these cruises, and putting up with that carpet, all so we don’t have to to do so, is an act of the purest heroism.
Washington State
26,026 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
You are really going beyond the call of duty. Taking these cruises, and putting up with that carpet, all so we don’t have to to do so, is an act of the purest heroism.
Your post made me laugh. We are definitely Regent customers and that will not change. However, our NCL cruise was the type of fun that we do not typically have. Our non-Regent cruises in September 2018 and September 2019 are near home, are a third of the price of a Regent cruise and will only be for 7 nights. We would rather be on a ship for 7 nights than in a hotel somewhere for 7 nights.
360 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Your post made me laugh. We are definitely Regent customers and that will not change. However, our NCL cruise was the type of fun that we do not typically have. Our non-Regent cruises in September 2018 and September 2019 are near home, are a third of the price of a Regent cruise and will only be for 7 nights. We would rather be on a ship for 7 nights than in a hotel somewhere for 7 nights.
Not if it’s this hotel https://www.41hotel.com/?sc_camp=DC8...SAAEgKndPD_BwE
USA
2,765 Posts
Joined Aug 2004
Thank you for posting your experience on NCL, TC2! Great pictures, commentary and contrasts to full luxury cruising.

We were on NCL many years ago, and share some of your opinions. For one, we also thought Le Bistro was great. We were sailing in a small suite as well, prior to the creation of NCL's Haven concept. The suite was comfortable, and we had an "OK" butler. However, there were certain aspects of the cruise, particularly dining in the MDR, which caused us to avoid future bookings on NCL.

Your next West Coast cruise certainly sounds like it might be on HAL (San Diego is a popular port for HAL ). If so, I hope you are booked into a Neptune Suite. They are VERY spacious and comfortable, and the Neptune Lounge (for Neptune guests) is very nice. The concierges in the Lounge are delightful. We have sailed on HAL quite a bit, primarily for their unique itineraries. I just wish they would bump up the Neptune Suite amenities to at least provide for included adult beverages in the Lounge.

Whatever line you may be on, enjoy your cruise! We also live on the West Coast and really enjoy the ease of embarking and disembarking so close to home.
Washington State
26,026 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
Toryhere - what is wrong with the hotel? It looks beautiful!

RJ2002 - good to see you on this board. We did check HAL but their pricing/promotions/itineraries were not right. We were going to do a 7 night Crystal* cruise but their very strange website showed Alaska cruises in June and July 2018 but then - without notice - changed to 2019. They will not be in Alaska when we wanted to go.

So, when we found the Vancouver to San Diego itinerary, with stops in Seattle, Astoria, San Francisco, Monterey and Santa Barbara - it sounded wonderful (especially with the included alcohol package, $300 OBC to pay for specialty dining, internet with two log-ins and laundry twice during our cruise).

*I always say "never say never" - this is one cruise line that I would not have dreamed that I'd be interested in - but may sail on her in Alaska next year. The bottom line for us is that we will never leave Regent (hmmmmm what was it that I just said about never saying never)?
USA
2,765 Posts
Joined Aug 2004

RJ2002 - good to see you on this board. We did check HAL but their pricing/promotions/itineraries were not right. We were going to do a 7 night Crystal* cruise but their very strange website showed Alaska cruises in June and July 2018 but then - without notice - changed to 2019. They will not be in Alaska when we wanted to go.

So, when we found the Vancouver to San Diego itinerary, with stops in Seattle, Astoria, San Francisco, Monterey and Santa Barbara - it sounded wonderful (especially with the included alcohol package, $300 OBC to pay for specialty dining, internet with two log-ins and laundry twice during our cruise).

*I always say "never say never" - this is one cruise line that I would not have dreamed that I'd be interested in - but may sail on her in Alaska next year. The bottom line for us is that we will never leave Regent (hmmmmm what was it that I just said about never saying never)?
I followed you over here!

Enjoy your cruise! We did a short 5-day California Coastal cruise R/T LA in 2016, with a stop in Santa Barbara among others. Nice walk from the tender pier (at the marina) up to the base of State Street, then continued on up State. Stopped for coffee, then later a nice lunch off the ship. If you have a chance, be sure to stop by the courthouse and go up to the observation tower. Beautiful views, and it's free!
Auckland, New Zealand
764 Posts
Joined Jul 2015

This sounds like a Celebrity cruise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Celebrity Edge 6 January 2019 Roll Call

360 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
You send you’d rather cruise for 7 days than stay in a hotel. I was saying that I’d rather stay at Hotel 41 than go on a cruise on a mass market cruise.
Auckland, New Zealand
764 Posts
Joined Jul 2015
You send you’d rather cruise for 7 days than stay in a hotel. I was saying that I’d rather stay at Hotel 41 than go on a cruise on a mass market cruise.

Sounds a bit snobby, I must say

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Celebrity Edge 6 January 2019 Roll Call

Washington State
26,026 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
Originally posted by Kiwifromkiev
This sounds like a Celebrity cruise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I'll be posting here in September - stay tuned!

It is so nice to see the Regent posters over on this board