Port liberty in New Jersey

bcsurvivor05

Hey there...I will be driving to port Liberty for our upcoming cruise. I have heard that the terminal parking fills up quickly....what time do you recommend us getting there.? We do have a handicap parking permit for my daughter so I am not sure if that would make a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hey there...I will be driving to port Liberty for our upcoming cruise. I have heard that the terminal parking fills up quickly....what time do you recommend us getting there.? We do have a handicap parking permit for my daughter so I am not sure if that would make a difference.

If it's one thing that Cape Liberty has, it's lots of parking and all of it is close to the terminal. The garage is supposed to have 900 spaces and there is ample open lot parking as well with handicapped spaces in both areas. To minimize the traffic congestion, we recommend arriving between 10-10:30.

If it's one thing that Cape Liberty has, it's lots of parking and all of it is close to the terminal. The garage is supposed to have 900 spaces and there is ample open lot parking as well with handicapped spaces in both areas. To minimize the traffic congestion, we recommend arriving between 10-10:30.

We arrived at about 10:30. The line to get into the parking garage was short, it was getting past the terminal that took a while! We were backed up to the first curve approaching the ship, but later we saw the line backed up well down the approach road. We were directed where to drop our bags at the terminal, then off to the garage. Parking was easy as most of the people leaving the ship were already off. We recommend backing into you spot so it is easy to get out the day you leave. We loved how short a walk it was to the terminal. We were in the second wave of passengers getting onto the ship, so waited about 20 minutes in the holding area after checking in to get on the ship. It was a very long 45 minutes from getting to the terminal to getting on the ship because we were so excited but in reality everything was very easy.

• 1 year later...

We will be using the Port Liberty Port for our cruise in October. We have a 31/2 hour drive to the port and will arrive between

11:30 and 12:00. We need to use the port parking and a little concerned about getting a handicap parking sport. One of the members of our party is handicapped in that she has trouble walking distances. Two questions; 1.) Are there sufficient handicap parking spots? 2.) How close are they to the terminal building in terms of walking distance? If we don't get a handicap spot are there enough spots in the parking lot to handle the number of us parking in the lot?

We will be using the Port Liberty Port for our cruise in October. We have a 31/2 hour drive to the port and will arrive between

11:30 and 12:00. We need to use the port parking and a little concerned about getting a handicap parking sport. One of the members of our party is handicapped in that she has trouble walking distances. Two questions; 1.) Are there sufficient handicap parking spots? 2.) How close are they to the terminal building in terms of walking distance? If we don't get a handicap spot are there enough spots in the parking lot to handle the number of us parking in the lot?

Drop your party off first, at the curb and all of the luggage. (porters are right there to retrieve it from you)...and then go park. The garage is only about 50 feet away. You should have no problem getting a HC parking place.

Drop your party off first, at the curb and all of the luggage. (porters are right there to retrieve it from you)...and then go park. The garage is only about 50 feet away. You should have no problem getting a HC parking place.

For those with not much (and easily rollable) luggage, would it be faster to park first and just have whole party walk to the terminal? Or is it better to drop off luggage and passengers with porter at terminal and have them get in line while driver goes to park? We are unfamiliar with the terminal/garage layout and what comes first or what part of the line might take longer around 10:30am. Thanks for any info.

For those with not much (and easily rollable) luggage, would it be faster to park first and just have whole party walk to the terminal? Or is it better to drop off luggage and passengers with porter at terminal and have them get in line while driver goes to park? We are unfamiliar with the terminal/garage layout and what comes first or what part of the line might take longer around 10:30am. Thanks for any info.

We cruise out of Bayonne a lot. My husband drops me and the luggage off at the terminal/curb (as most people do) and the driver parks the car.

When he/she enters the garage (right next to the terminal).....you will get a stub. Make sure you put it in your wallet/purse. DO NOT LEAVE IT IN THE CAR. The day you return, there are machines outside of the garage, clearly marked CASH or CREDIT. Go to the appropriate machine to pay and then proceed to your car. You may ALL go to the car, or one person can and circle around to pick up your family and luggage at the curb. This is really not advisable however. Thousands of people leaving and thousands of people coming in for the next cruise. You may be stuck in a little traffic doing this. The garage is right next door to the terminal. Only a 2 minute walk. We had 8 people last year, and two cars. The drivers got the cars and the rest of us stood outside the garage with all the luggage. Cape Liberty is VERY easy now, since they re-vamped the whole terminal. :):):)

I parked in the handicapped section of the garage for the Aug. 4 sailing of the Anthem. No problem at all with enough spots.

I arrived at the port at 11:15 a.m., unloading luggage a half hour later because of a rain delay. IME, you need to drive right past the porters so you may as well let them unload it.

There were plenty, and I mean plenty, of handicapped spots at 11:45. It was about one third full when I arrived. Half of the entire first floor of the garage is handicapped spots.

It is about a one to two city block walk to the port doors. I did not see alternative means of transportation.

I parked in the handicapped section of the garage for the Aug. 4 sailing of the Anthem. No problem at all with enough spots.

I arrived at the port at 11:15 a.m., unloading luggage a half hour later because of a rain delay. IME, you need to drive right past the porters so you may as well let them unload it.

There were plenty, and I mean plenty, of handicapped spots at 11:45. It was about one third full when I arrived. Half of the entire first floor of the garage is handicapped spots.

It is about a one to two city block walk to the port doors. I did not see alternative means of transportation.

I'm truly sorry, but will have to differ with you on the distance. It most certainly is not 1 or 2 city blocks from the terminal. It is right next door to the terminal.

• Thanks 1

From what I've seen there's likely plenty of handicap spots available in the garage even close to sailing. But the overflow lot they use is across the street from the terminal, making it generally as close if not closer to the terminal than the garage. But you will be dropping off your luggage first as you drive around to parking, so just have the member of your party get out there, right at the terminal and wait for you on a bench or inside the terminal building.

I marked up a map to show you a little better (the link is to the map on Google Maps which lets you see the labels I put there).

CapeLiberty.png

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lLv9vgymVV7Iaet1nFHnS7_VGoDx6Cvb&usp=sharing

from what i've seen there's likely plenty of handicap spots available in the garage even close to sailing. But the overflow lot they use is across the street from the terminal, making it generally as close if not closer to the terminal than the garage. But you will be dropping off your luggage first as you drive around to parking, so just have the member of your party get out there, right at the terminal and wait for you on a bench or inside the terminal building.

I marked up a map to show you a little better (the link is to the map on google maps which lets you see the labels i put there).

capeliberty.png

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1llv9vgymvv7iaet1nfhns7_vgodx6cvb&usp=sharing

perfect!!!!!

We cruise out of Bayonne a lot. My husband drops me and the luggage off at the terminal/curb (as most people do) and the driver parks the car.

When he/she enters the garage (right next to the terminal).....you will get a stub. Make sure you put it in your wallet/purse. DO NOT LEAVE IT IN THE CAR. The day you return, there are machines outside of the garage, clearly marked CASH or CREDIT. Go to the appropriate machine to pay and then proceed to your car. You may ALL go to the car, or one person can and circle around to pick up your family and luggage at the curb. This is really not advisable however. Thousands of people leaving and thousands of people coming in for the next cruise. You may be stuck in a little traffic doing this. The garage is right next door to the terminal. Only a 2 minute walk. We had 8 people last year, and two cars. The drivers got the cars and the rest of us stood outside the garage with all the luggage. Cape Liberty is VERY easy now, since they re-vamped the whole terminal. :):):)

why?

There is no way to avoid having to first drive by the luggage drop off area at Beautiful and Gorgeous Cape Liberty in Bayonne. Since you must drive by the luggage zone, most stop and transfer luggage to porters. You do not have to. You can drive by the luggage zone and then into the garage. At 10:30 am there should be little vehicle back up in front of the terminal. There are elevators and stairs within the garage. On disembarkation day, there will be a line to use the elevator as most do not want to do stairs with luggage. The distance between the garage and terminal is very short.

why?

Why what? If you leave the stub in the car you'll have to go to the car to get the stub and come back to the first floor machines to pay. If you have a lot of luggage, it can be a pain to drag it over to the garage and up to the elevators; some prefer to have most of their traveling companions wait, with the luggage, for one person to go get the car and drive around to the pickup area. There's no indoor waiting area though. :)

Why what? If you leave the stub in the car you'll have to go to the car to get the stub and come back to the first floor machines to pay. If you have a lot of luggage, it can be a pain to drag it over to the garage and up to the elevators; some prefer to have most of their traveling companions wait, with the luggage, for one person to go get the car and drive around to the pickup area. There's no indoor waiting area though. :)

Thank you! Just noticed the highlighted sentence.

I'm truly sorry, but will have to differ with you on the distance. It most certainly is not 1 or 2 city blocks from the terminal. It is right next door to the terminal.

You are right; I was thinking of the "front" door (where the porters unload) and completely forgot about the side door:o going to the garage.

Jumping off to address other posts, if you are in the handicapped section, you don't need the elevator. It is level with that side door. In fact, the luggage "waiting area" is right next to the handicapped section. If you have roll-on luggage (as I did), even a solo traveler can go straight to the car in the handicapped section without waiting.

Of course, if your mobility is impaired such that you can't walk or can't walk with luggage, this is not an option.

We have cruised out of Bayonne about 10 times and parking has never been a problem.

We arrived around 12ish on our last cruise. Parking was a breeze. We a walked across the lot and into the terminal. There is a lot of parking. Although, I cannot remember if we gave luggage to a porter when we drove in the lot, or if we rolled it with us to the terminal since it was so close.

Edit....

Guess I should have read more posts....I failed to realize that the parking has changed since I was there 3 years ago. Opps!

CapeLiberty.png

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lLv9vgymVV7Iaet1nFHnS7_VGoDx6Cvb&usp=sharing

Thank you for the map dswallow. It reminds me of a question i have.

Has anyone ever tried to bypass the long line for the terminal by driving directly to the parking garage? In other words, have you tried turning left right before the final warehouse on 12th st. then turning right on port terminal blvd, going past the old terminal to get to the parking garage?