Cabins on Braemar

Eglesbrech

I have been reading some reviews on Braemar as we are considering a cruise and it seems to have cabins which are described as tiny. Anyone been in the G or H grade cabins and if so are they really that small? Smaller than on Balmoral or the Boudicca for comparison?

Looking at the pictures on the Fred site for inside cabins and most look like thay are L shaped (with the exception of the I grade which we don’t fancy anyway). The outside cabins on the same decks have parallel beds.

Is it just the pictures they have chosen or are they all L shaped for some reason, they look the same size as the outsides on the plan.

Also a lot of comments about noise and vibraation. Any tips to avoid problem areas of the ship?

The Balmoral has larger cabins that the other Olsen ships. We had an inside cabin on the Braemar for our recent cruise to the Arctic Circle and I can confirm they are very small, especially if you have a double bed arrangement as we did. The ones with the L shape twin beds seem larger but in reality they are the same size. Try and get a cabin in the old part of the ship where the walls between the cabins are better sound proofed.

Thanks for the input Coravel.

I would normally have asked for a double but I will request twins instead and look for one in the old part.

I just went back and looked at the Fred site and a single room on Balmoral is the same size as a double on Braemar!

Was there adequate wardrobe space and what was the bathroom like?

Did you find the ship noisy or is that just a problem limited to certain areas?

I have been an Braemar a lot. Had H grades and used to be Ok, but they seemed to be working their way through replacing wardrobe shelves with drawers which restricts storage space even more and can be noisy because people in the next cabin tend to slam drawers - you almost have to as they have a catch. Cabins fine otherwise though. The noise/vibration is low down and to the back of the ship (avoid at least the back quarter of the ship) - we tend to go for something just forward of mid ship now.

We would never consider cabins at the front of Braemar (e.g. G grade) as it is by far the least stable of the fleet, so if you have bad seas (or even a bit choppy) you will know about it! The back a prob regards stability as well. Grade G also over the show lounge.

The L shaped beds can be moved and we tend to move them so they are parallel at the far end of the cabin so we both have access to a bedside table and cabin space still OK if in twin configuration. Only prob then is that a small amount of the bottom corner of one bed is under the end of the dressing table that narrows to a point (look at Fred's pictures and you will see what I mean). Worth thinking about if you are able bodied enough to do that or you can persuade your stewardess to assist. Never had a complaint after we have done that and some cabins seem to have the beds that way whilst others are L shaped. H grade OK and well priced, but you may need to use a case under the bed a an extra drawer if it is a longer cruise. Not much long hanging space if I remember correctly and that was before they added fridges - not sure where they have been put!

Grade B outside on deck 4 are only a bit bigger and are under the prom deck - we had a cabin there once, but not for us as we like to lie in at times - runners start from 7.30am, even though asked not to run before 8am (which we still think is early). We like the deck 6 obstructed view as it is really quiet up there, and those cabins are bigger, even though it is not stated on Fred's website. Prices going up for those cabins, but we have got reduced price upgrades to those cabins about two months before sail date if we have rang to ask about the possibility.

Probably small showers, but we are able bodied and not unusually big and had no probs. We liked Braemar a lot and went on her annually for a few years but Fred not offering the right itineraries for us on her for us over the last year or so. Enjoy your cruise on our favourite Fred Ship and if you are booking early enough ask for the Grampian restaurant, which is really nice and has quite a lot of tables for two - if that appeals to you.

Edited by tring