Mariner – 3.5 days + 2 hrs of Amazing Fun!

LuCruise

Introduction

We just got back from our Mariner cruise Mon Aug 27 – Fri Aug 31. The ship stopped at Nassau, CoCo Cay, and had a sea day.

As a summary, all I can say is wow, amazing ship! We don’t get internet, so this will be the “recap”, but I know a lot are interested in the renovated ship so will include lots of pictures. Ship is beautiful and very kid friendly.

IMG_1427%20Small_zps5t42ssos.jpeg

Edited by LuCruise

Our Bonus Cruise

I consider this our “bonus” cruise. We typically have a big family trip about every year and a half. Last summer we went to Disneyland and next March break we have Symphony booked. And with our son’s bar mitzvah back this past April, we had no plans of another big trip in the middle.

I always take the week off with the kids between camp and school and DH can sometimes get a few of those days off too. So then I thought…what if we do something small? DH had a business trip in Chicago and he quite liked the city, so we talked about maybe going there for 3 or 4 days. Then I heard of Royal’s Voyager class ship that was getting refurbished. Wow…it looked amazing. For the fun of it, I priced it out….hey, it was quite reasonable as they only run 3 and 4 day cruises. Next step was to start one of my spreadsheets. I’m an OCD planner,so “Trip A – Full Chicago Cost” (with flight, museum costs, food, hotel, etc) vs“Trip B - 4 Day Mariner cruise Cost” (with flight, pre-night hotel, port,extras on ship, etc). Well, they were pretty much equal. Then went the questions. Which would our kids prefer? Do we need to worry of it being hurricane season? Went back and forth, but in the end….we went with Mariner (duh…otherwise, this cruise report ends here).

I know that a lot say that 4-day cruises aren’t worth it. But it’s either 4 days visiting an interesting city (museums, parks, architecture, restaurants) or 4 full days on a cruise (waterslides, virtual trampoline, shows, rock wall, swimming, laser tag, beach, etc). With either option, we gotta fly there (we're from Toronto, Canada), it’s great family time together, and will be tons of fun, so why seems worth it to me. We knew that the time would be quick, but it would be 4 amazing full packed days.

PS - As a preview...yes, we did get everything done that we wanted (except perhaps ice skating for our daughter)

Our Family

Guess I should introduce ourselves.

• There’s me – the mom and planner
  • DH – who lets me plan and is happy to go with the flow (and at the same time, doesn’t want to hear too many details)
  • DS – 13 years old (scary…a teenager :eek::eek: ...but a really good kid)
  • DD – 9 years old (going on 17)

Edited by LuCruise

Great thread - hope you have lots more to share.

I am doing the same cruise (out of TO) Nov 12.

Did you have drink package?

How was Coco Cay?

Definitely have lots. We didn't purchase the drink package as it wouldn't be worth it for us, but bought drinks as we went along.

We loved Coco Cay . Beautiful beach. Will post photos when I get to day 3.

Our Stateroom

Since this was a bonus trip, it was also a budget trip. We started by booking an interior guarantee for a really good price. A few weeks later we were assigned a room. It was at the front of the ship, but I was able to move us to aft on deck 6 (but still quite middle, close to elevators). At 161 sq. ft, it was tiny, but we’d make it work.

Then close to final payment, I noticed for only $144 CAD more we could book a balcony guarantee. Wow…that seemed worth it. So, we re-booked. A few days later we were assigned 1690, a spacious balcony room (so not even lowest balcony category). This was aft facing on deck 10. Was debating on keep this as it apparently has extra big balcony and nice views of the wake. But decided to move us a bit more central and on the port side. So moved us to 7658…aft section but midway between elevators and back of ship. Not bad too as this room was 203 sq. ft, and our kids would share a sofa bed (vs pullman’s ontop of the main bed).

This is the room as we entered

IMG_1300%20Small_zpsqy1yezf8.jpeg

This is the sofa bed pulled out. The kids slept length-wise (i.e. heads at washroom end, feet at balcony end)

IMG_1343%20Small_zpsrdjdnh5h.jpeg

The room was quite spacious for a cruise room. What I love about Royal's rooms is that they have tons of storage. The closet has shelves, there were 8 drawers, a top tall shelf over the safe, 2 night tables with room for cloths, and 2 vanity areas with shelves (perfect for all those small toiletries, first aid stuff, etc) . I'd say the only thing that differs from our room on Allure is that Mariner washroom doesn't have as much storage. There is one vanity area (with 3 shelves) and a shelf under the sink, but Allure bathroom had more storage.

I must say too that having the balcony was really nice! On Allure we had a Promenade room, which we quite liked, but a balcony to the outside was sooo peaceful and lovely to be able to watch the water...especially early in the morning when waking before our kids. DH even commented he may not be able to go back to other rooms (oops...our future cruises are not 'regular' balcony rooms).

Edited by LuCruise

Stateroom Location

Before backing up and describing the trip, I'll just comment about the room location. There is a lot to consider when selecting a room. We wanted to be central both top to bottom, and front to back. Thus, deck 7 seemed good as we wanted the option to be able to avoid elevators. Also wanted to avoid the front if possible due to movement (although it was a super calm cruise so wouldn't have been an issue).

This was our stateroom.

RoomLocation_zpsptshjk3g.png

There are only 2 sets of stairs/elevators so it's good to be not too far from one of them. What I liked about our location is that most activities/food locations were at the aft. So we'd just walk to the aft stairs and go up to deck 11 and the Windjammer/Chops were there. (The pools are also at deck 11). Also at that side was the SkyPad/rock wall, waterslides, Flowrider. The MDR was at that side too down on deck 4 for us. And Studio B with ice show and laser tag was same side deck 3. So if selecting between aft and forward, I recommend aft (not that the extra bit of walking is a big deal or such a bad thing on a cruise).

Edited by LuCruise

Really interested in a "tide us over" cruise, and Mariner looks great, so looking forward to this.

Glad to hear. I'm the same and find that reading cruise reports helps with the wait for your own cruise. :D

Glad you had a great time. Looking forward to reading the rest.

Thanks.

Great thread - hope you have lots more to share.

I am doing the same cruise (out of TO) Nov 12.

Did you have drink package?

How was Coco Cay?

Sorry, my husband just reminded me that we did purchase the soda package for him (was responding earlier about alcohol package). He purchased it once onboard to get his cup and he just carried it when we were going to the pool area (windjammer on same deck has the machines). The other drink packages wouldn't be worth it for us, but he definitely got his money's worth on soda one. At dinner, he'd just order soda with his meal from our servers.

Travel Day

Finally, the day had arrived to fly to Miami for our cruise! Sunday Aug 26th! Love the ticker!

Ticker_Aug26_zpsvuariprc.png

We couldn't get a flight until afternoon (and ended up being delayed by an hour) so we didn't get in until after 9pm. We stayed at Hampton Inn on Blue Lagoon. They had a free shuttle, but since it was late, we just grabbed a taxi. The room was standard, but nice, clean and just what we needed. It had a pretty view with the lagoon in the background. Breakfast was included which was important for a quick efficient breakfast in the morning before heading to the port.

IMG_1251%20Small_zps27ypqkys.jpeg

Cruise Day!

We got up around 7am and I was ready to head to the port. For some reason, DH thought this was a tad too early. ;) So instead, we showered and went downstairs for breakfast. By 9:30am, DH gave the OK to checkout and head to the port. We could see that it was going to be a scorcher as this was the weather at so early in the morning.

IMG_1253%20Small_zps99elg2sf.jpeg

We grabbed a taxi and the ride was maybe about 20 minutes. There she is...It's so exciting when you you drive up and spot the ship for the first time!

IMG_1255%20Small_zpscsvqv0s0.jpeg

Check in was quick and we were sent to another room to wait to board. By 11am, they let us on. I'm pretty sure that higher crown & anchor levels were in another room and were boarded before us. Note to self (and to DH when he reads this) - We need to cruise much more often so that we get the earlier check in.

On the Ship

Our first mission when we got on the ship was not the Windjammer, but to head to the SkyPad. I heard there were long lines so thought we should try that. It's funny as the ship is well laid out, but it still felt like that first day in a new high school with that 'lost' feeling and trying to find something. We finally made it up to deck 13. It's really neat up there with the waterslides, Flowrider, climbing structure, hammocks, basketball court, rock wall, swing, and SkyPad.

IMG_1266%20Small_zpshzgotbv5.jpeg

The SkyPad wasn't opened yet (asked someone and it opened at 12pm), so we headed back down to deck 5 to look for a place to purchase the soda package for DH. There was a desk right when we entered the Promenade so quick and easy and he got his "magic" cup. We walked through the Promenade and it's beautiful.

IMG_1274%20Small_zpsctxjpjfe.jpeg

IMG_1277%20Small_zpsc1ze5kx5.jpeg

IMG_1276%20Small_zpsidmn1v91.jpeg

I’m excited to read your review and see the pics. My family is booked on Navigator next June for this identical itinerary as my daughter (also 13 ) and her dance team are scheduled to perform. We are assuming that her dry dock and renovation will be very similar to her sister ship Mariner. Our CoCoCay experience will be a little different because the Pier and Perfect Day construction should be done, but I really value your stories and pictures!!

I’m excited to read your review and see the pics. My family is booked on Navigator next June for this identical itinerary as my daughter (also 13 ��) and her dance team are scheduled to perform. We are assuming that her dry dock and renovation will be very similar to her sister ship Mariner. Our CoCoCay experience will be a little different because the Pier and Perfect Day construction should be done, but I really value your stories and pictures!!

Oh wow...what a great excuse for a cruise! How neat to perform! My daughter's favorite (9 years) was the SkyPad and my son's favorite (13 years) was the LaserTag. So many fun things for kids. Great that Navigator is getting the same new features. CoCo Cay is really nice (pictures coming when I get there)....and with the Perfect Day, it looks like such great additional fun.

SkyPad

After walking the Promenade, we made our way back to the SkyPad (found it a bit easier this time). It was getting super hot, but we found a spot in the shade to wait. It was nearing noon and so our wait wasn't wasn't too long. The first time you need to sign a waiver and get a wrist band if trying it. Only our kids tried it but it sure looked like fun. There are 3 games to pick from where you jump over things. Or you can go on without the headset and just jump.

IMG_1285%20Small_zps99bfrb1m.jpeg

Rules - Do not plan on going on the waterslides and then heading to the SkyPad as you must be dry or they won't let you on. You go either bare feet of in socks so current shoe wear is fine (unlike rock wall or laser tag).

Pools

I love heat (and in contrast, hate our Canadian winters, and even fall season), but even I'll agree it was getting stinking hot. So what's next but to hit the pools. There are two pools side by side....each have 2 hot tubs but one of the pools had one of them larger.

We found 2 deck chairs right by the pool edge and in the shade...perfect...but of course our kids insisted they wanted the other pool as it was better. I'm pretty sure the pools were mirror images of each other (aside from the one hot tub size), but our kids insisted on the other pool. So there went our perfect lounger spots. We found ones at the other pool in the shade but we couldn't see our kids when they went in the pool (which meant DH had to stand up in the hot sun to watch them).

The two pools:

IMG_1260%20Small_zpswusyyfi4.jpeg

They ended up spending more time in hot tub (hot tub on a hot day? Things that make you go "hmmm'.." :confused: They had fun though and even made a few brief friends who were in the tubs at the same time.

One thing that I noticed that I don't remember on Allure is that they had a life guard at each pool, watching closely. I know there have been a few tragic incidents so not sure if this change has come out of those events.

We didn't go in the solarium (except to pass through to the fitness club) but here's a picture

IMG_1257%20Small_zpshi6mqsqu.jpeg

Muster Drill

At 3:30pm, our kids decided that they wanted frozen yogurt, but everything shut down right at this time to prepare for muster drill. They has people standing on the stairs directing you to your station. We wanted to head back to our stateroom first and felt like criminals not obeying their commands to go 'now'. Our son quickly changed out of his wet clothes and then we scooted to our location out on the deck. Rush rush rush...and yet we were the first ones there. It wouldn't have been so bad but it was really hot and no air in the area.

I know muster is required by law, but I don't get it. All they did was have us stand there for awhile in rows. They did give our 9 year old a red bracelet to wear, and they blew the emergency horn (which you couldn't have heard anywhere including back home). Maybe they said stuff on the loud speaker but it was incomprehensible.

By around 4:18pm, they finally let us go. We went back to the stateroom where our son changed back into his bathing suit and we headed over to the waterslides.