Packing toys & entertainment items

PiratessLooksAt40

Just wondering what other parents pack for toys and entertainment items for their trips?

We have 3 sea days (NJ to Bermuda) and my son doesn’t go anywhere without a backpack full of trains (thanks Autism!). Plus the iPad.

Obviously there’s so much to do that most kids don’t *need* much. And neither will he honestly. I was just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

With Autism, it's a different story. Bring what makes your child happy...you might not need it, but if you do, you'll be happy to have it.

Days will be shorts/swimwear for the most part. Don't overpack for daytime wear. (Of course, autism might mean something different to you!)...nights, will mean long pants and collared shirts (golf/polo) in most venues. You don't post your child's age...but the clubs are really good with "special needs" kids.

He’s 9. We are hoping the kids club works out. Disney was not at all accommodating (the whole experience was too much for him in general even tho the WDW trip he wasn’t). He tends to get really REALLY angry when he perceives wrong or cheating etc. and I’m pretty sure he’ll get bounced quickly. He loves playing in the pool so his toy boats will come with us.

Not going to torture him with too many MDR dinners. We’re on Celebrity and the buffet is awesome and a poolside dinner is more relaxing and our style.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We let our son choose what he takes as long as it fits in his backpack. We add his iPad, one or two surprises, and a few books to one of our bags.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This. Over the years it has been age appropriate - but anything from electronics to drawing supplies to trains to cars to silly putty. By 8 he was including a football, glove and ball, or whatever was the sport of the moment. Another time, he even took his basketball. Hey - if he wants to carry it, we go by, "if it fits it ships!"

we always bring an ipad in 7 year old's DS's backpack, a new set or two of Legos to keep him occupied and small water/beach cars and trucks. Plus floaties, since he cannot swim (taking swim lessons now!). He also brings a couple of his favorite stuffed animals to sleep with.

So, if your DS needs it - by all means, bring a backpack with trains and an ipad.

We don't bring books on the cruise, because 1) we fly and the weight restrictions are real, 2) he is so exhausted by the evening, he falls asleep without any books, 3) books can now be downloaded for free through our public library app onto our smartphones.

An ipad is the only way for our child to sit through an MDR dinner. He doesn't make a peep as long as he has his tablet (games and downloaded cartoons) with the headphones. We've been told that he was the best behaved kid during dinner... Well, duh, he is so engrossed in it.

Our kid doesn't do kid's club either (stranger and separation anxiety), so sea days and time onboard are always spent as a family at the pool and hot tubs (DS loves hot tubs), happy hour, watching TV (thanks to a wonderful Regal and Royal Princess FREE on demand movie selection), going to shows and kid friendly activities. He is tagging along with us everywhere... but at least he does well in crowded areas and it doesn't overwhelm him.

He loves cruising!

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

I plan to mostly pack things that are easy to pack. Coloring sheets, stickers, etc. These usually keep even my older kids entertained for a while, plus the obvious iPad plus headphones. We probably wont bring many toys because even the young toddler can entertain herself with a simple cup.

I don't know about all of the cruise lines, but Royal Caribbean may also have some toys that can be checked out from their kids club. Our 8 yr old ASD son enjoyed the kids club on our last cruise. We also packed his tablet, loaded with movies and games. I took some coloring items for him and his younger brother. We allowed them to pick one toy, reasonably priced, from the on board stores. They picked sets with cruise ships and cars. The few times we were in the room they played with these. We were out of the room so much that we really didn't need much for their entertainment within the room. They preferred to walk the ship, play mini golf, swim, etc.

we always bring an ipad in 7 year old's DS's backpack, a new set or two of Legos to keep him occupied and small water/beach cars and trucks. Plus floaties, since he cannot swim (taking swim lessons now!). He also brings a couple of his favorite stuffed animals to sleep with.

So, if your DS needs it - by all means, bring a backpack with trains and an ipad.

We don't bring books on the cruise, because 1) we fly and the weight restrictions are real, 2) he is so exhausted by the evening, he falls asleep without any books, 3) books can now be downloaded for free through our public library app onto our smartphones.

An ipad is the only way for our child to sit through an MDR dinner. He doesn't make a peep as long as he has his tablet (games and downloaded cartoons) with the headphones. We've been told that he was the best behaved kid during dinner... Well, duh, he is so engrossed in it.

Our kid doesn't do kid's club either (stranger and separation anxiety), so sea days and time onboard are always spent as a family at the pool and hot tubs (DS loves hot tubs), happy hour, watching TV (thanks to a wonderful Regal and Royal Princess FREE on demand movie selection), going to shows and kid friendly activities. He is tagging along with us everywhere... but at least he does well in crowded areas and it doesn't overwhelm him.

He loves cruising!

I'll be taking my 4 yo hyperactive/special needs child on his first cruise. Our only hope to make it through any dinners in the MDR is his tablet - he has a kids Kindle. I figure we can download some cartoons for him and I'm assuming we'll need internet service for the games & apps to work? Is anyone familiar with the Kindle? We'll be on the Carnival Horizon. Do we need the premium plan? I've only been on a few cruises but have never bothered with internet as I enjoy being disconnected while on vacation haha

I'll be taking my 4 yo hyperactive/special needs child on his first cruise. Our only hope to make it through any dinners in the MDR is his tablet - he has a kids Kindle. I figure we can download some cartoons for him and I'm assuming we'll need internet service for the games & apps to work? Is anyone familiar with the Kindle? We'll be on the Carnival Horizon. Do we need the premium plan? I've only been on a few cruises but have never bothered with internet as I enjoy being disconnected while on vacation haha

Most of the games my four year old uses on his Kindle does not require internet as long as they are already downloaded. I also downloaded a few movies the morning we were boarding. We did not have an internet package and never needed it.

Most of the games my four year old uses on his Kindle does not require internet as long as they are already downloaded. I also downloaded a few movies the morning we were boarding. We did not have an internet package and never needed it.

Thank you so much!

I bring a few surprise things like sticker books, small coloring books, a new pack of twist up color crayons/markers, etc. Then whatever my kids want to bring has to fit in their school backpack AND they have to carry it. I'm a mama, not a Sherpa. ;-)

a lot of apps and games work without an internet connection, unless you are trying to buy upgrades, etc. You can also download movies from Netflix, hoopla, and I was told - from Amazon prime as well, beforehand.

We downloaded a bunch of cartoons for DS from Netflix. Takes a bit of time, though, and last year the downloads only played for a week.

BRING HEADPHONES. At least a couple of pairs. They seem to get misplaced a lot, so when you are in a hurry to get to MDR, you can just grab a spare pair.