Norweigan - Pride of America Cruise

lg17

Hi

I am coming on Norweigan island tour in October, can anyone help with info from the port to resorts please? I am unsure which excursions we want to book at the moment, if we don't book an excursion, is there buses to get to the resorts?

Thanks in advance

Hi

I am coming on Norweigan island tour in October, can anyone help with info from the port to resorts please? I am unsure which excursions we want to book at the moment, if we don't book an excursion, is there buses to get to the resorts?

Aloha! By resorts, do you mean hotels or resort areas? The more specific you can be, the better people here will be able to help you.

Aloha! By resorts, do you mean hotels or resort areas? The more specific you can be, the better people here will be able to help you.

Alpha, thanks for your reply. I mean resort areas rather than hotels. Thank you in advance.

Alpha, thanks for your reply. I mean resort areas rather than hotels. Thank you in advance.

One of the meanings of the term "Aloha" that we used is welcome in Hawaiian, and you will find it used often while you visit here. As to transportation from the port to resort areas, we can only speak for Maui. If you will be on the Pride of America, it docks in Kahului (central Maui). The major resort areas would be around Wailea (south Maui) or Ka'anapali (west Maui). Do some research on that and see what activities in those areas interest you and go from there. A rental car is best and can save quite a bit of money over ship tours and give you a lot of freedom. There are taxis and Uber too, but that can get expensive. The public bus line is limited and not ideal for visitor use.

• 3 weeks later...

We sailed on the PoA in October, 2016. On Maui we took 2 tours thorugh NCL. On the Big Island (Hawaii) we used Mary Lou’s Big Island Tours both days and they were great. Small group of up to 6 passengers in a minivan. Wonderful people and very knowledgeable.

On Kauai we took another private tour but did not like the owner/driver who seemed to be ‘fishing’ for tips the entire day. It was our first trip to Hawaii and we preferred tours to be able to learn more about the islands.

In Maui, there was a beach day excursion offered . I didn't take that one so I can comment. You could always rent a car and drive to a resort. My husband is a golfer and did that our 2nd day in Maui.

You need to make prior arrangements for anything you want to do. You can just walk around at Kona and Kauaii, but that is just to see some shops. There is a small beach at Kona but not a big beautiful one. Some folks have posted about walking somewhere on Maui but its a bit of a way. You need to read all the past threads about each of the ports.

• 3 weeks later...

Just learned that POA decided 2 weeks ago that it would not call at Kona on the Big Island (had previously announced its dropping of Hilo). A really big blow to the Big Island's economy! Don't understand the rationale behind this decision since Kona is on the opposite side of the island from the volcanic activity.

Since all the other major lines have dropped Hilo from their mainland cruises to Hawaii, it looks like no cruise ships will be visiting the Big Island for who knows how long.

Two weeks ago NCl canceled the stops at Hilo and Kona. Last week they reinstated Kona and did stop there. :)Yesterday they canceled the stop at Kona for today based on the reports of very poor air quality in Kona. :(Lots of vog with alerts for the eldery, very young and people with respiratory issues.

Check the USGS volcanoes website (volcanoes.usgs.gov) and click on HVO for the latest updates. They also post those updates on their FB page-USGS Volcanoes. The Hawaii Tracker page on FB is run by locals and gives excellent informaiton as well.

Edited by NYCruiser243
spelling

. . . :)Yesterday they canceled the stop at Kona for today based on the reports of very poor air quality in Kona. :(Lots of vog with alerts for the eldery, very young and people with respiratory issues. . . .

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize (or remember, even tho we've stayed in Kona multiple times) :othat the winds blow east to west in Hawaii, opposite to the prevailing wind direction of west to east here in the Great Lakes area.

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize (or remember, even tho we've stayed in Kona multiple times) :othat the winds blow east to west in Hawaii, opposite to the prevailing wind direction of west to east here in the Great Lakes area.

The winds can vary day to day. If I remember correctly from when we owned a condo there, the trade winds blow from the east/northeast, while "Kona Winds" come from the west. The worst Kona air quality happens when the wind blows from the southeast. To get an idea of what the air really looks like in Kona, go to konaweb.com. Scroll to the bottom of the page to the webcam photo. It's been pretty bad for a number of days now, but there can be beautiful days.

The winds can vary day to day. If I remember correctly from when we owned a condo there, the trade winds blow from the east/northeast, while "Kona Winds" come from the west. . . .

Thanks so much for all the info!