Since we frequently have discussions comparing Regent to other lines, like Silversea,

Portolan

I do not get tired of dress code issues because Regent needs to know what many of us are observing. It amazes me how many people do not read the Regent dress code or think that the policy is not for them. While it is easy to ignore these people, if you went on Oceania at night and observed what I observed (on two cruises), you likely would not want Regent to follow in their footsteps. While jeans (torn or not), worn out denim overalls, shorts, t-shirts, etc. are permitted in one dining venue, the passengers are walking around the ship dressed in this manner. It reminded me very much of what I saw on NCL.

Not my Oceania experiences Jackie -- on all our Oceania cruises people were really quite well dressed. But then we tend to eat a lot in the speciality restaurants or in our suite so maybe we missed some of this "scene" . Our last Regent cruise which was a TA there was a man who wore a basebal cap to (seemingly) all meals and dungarees too. Now perhaps he had had surgery - I don't know - but it looked strange to me.

We have just booked our first trip on the Voyager at RSS. All of our experiences have been QG on Cunard. We are going to have to navigate the relaxed dress code issue.

I would comment that everyone moving about the ship after six aboard the QM2 in formal dress on formal nights is an occasion and beautiful sight. Sometimes it's nice to be surrounded by elegance.

My friends joined us on Cunard for our last cruise. This time, they are reciprocating with their favorite line, Regent. The cruise is a Caribbean itinerary and tropical destinations tend to be less formal due to the climate. Daytime is no issue. I can pretty well figure that one out.

Dinner is my issue. Will my DH be appropriately dressed in a linen suit with open collar shirt at dinner? Or, is it just a polo shirt with khakis more appropriate? Is there one night where there a bit more effort? As far as the ladies go, is a cocktail dress ever appropriate? If not, do the ladies put on dresses at all?

What the cruise line marketing department says is one thing. What happens on the ship is another. Thanks for any help you can provide.

We have just booked our first trip on the Voyager at RSS. All of our experiences have been QG on Cunard. We are going to have to navigate the relaxed dress code issue.

I would comment that everyone moving about the ship after six aboard the QM2 in formal dress on formal nights is an occasion and beautiful sight. Sometimes it's nice to be surrounded by elegance.

My friends joined us on Cunard for our last cruise. This time, they are reciprocating with their favorite line, Regent. The cruise is a Caribbean itinerary and tropical destinations tend to be less formal due to the climate. Daytime is no issue. I can pretty well figure that one out.

Dinner is my issue. Will my DH be appropriately dressed in a linen suit with open collar shirt at dinner? Or, is it just a polo shirt with khakis more appropriate? Is there one night where there a bit more effort? As far as the ladies go, is a cocktail dress ever appropriate? If not, do the ladies put on dresses at all?

What the cruise line marketing department says is one thing. What happens on the ship is another. Thanks for any help you can provide.

I would say that only 30% of the men wear polo shirts with khakis. Women tend to wear slacks and a nice blouse and sometimes dresses. Most passengers dress up for the Captain's Reception (usually the 2nd night). You could see a few tuxedos, suits and slacks with a sports jacket for men and dresses or slacks with fancy blouses for women. There will still be the polo shirts but not as many. Another good opportunity to dress up a bit is when you dine in a specialty restaurant.

My DH tends to wear a dress shirt and slacks most nights and adds a jacket on the special nights. I'm into fancy tops rather than dresses (the only time I wore a formal dress was on the christening cruise of the Explorer which was a black tie event).

We do try not to sail in the Caribbean anymore and it does tend to be less formal. On the other hand, many people from the U.K. do Caribbean cruises and they tend to dress up more than people in North America (just as people on the east coast of the U.S. tend to dress up more than people on the west coast). Where we live, jeans are acceptable anywhere - day or night so it is a treat to not see them at night on Regent.

The bottom line is that, based upon your preferences, you will be fine on Regent.