Old one pound rounded coin

Eagle44

You need to go into a bank and ask. Many banks will not change it unless you are a customer which means its a no to tourists.

If you can visit the Bank of England in the City of London, they will change it for sure.

You need to go into a bank and ask. Many banks will not change it unless you are a customer which means its a no to tourists.

If you can visit the Bank of England in the City of London, they will change it for sure.

The Bank of England will only change notes. Coins are issued by the Royal Mint.

Can I still change the old rounded 1 pound coin? If yes where in London.

The Bank of England will only change notes. Coins are issued by the Royal Mint.

You could always place them in a charity box / shop in the UK. Or if on board ship place them in the charity box on board.

That way the charity would still be able to bank them.

Not sure what would happen if you are visiting but last week we took some we had found tucked away in the car for paying car park costs that we had forgotten about. Our bank took them with no quibble and they were paid into our account.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not sure what would happen if you are visiting but last week we took some we had found tucked away in the car for paying car park costs that we had forgotten about. Our bank took them with no quibble and they were paid into our account.

Some banks will still accept, however you will need a bank account at that particular bank. To exchange some banks will only let you pay in to your account. Which you have.

No shops would accept them last month in London. I only had a few from my last visit. Also we found out we had Gibraltar pounds as well, no one wanted them either. We had received them as change when purchasing items in Gibraltar, fancy getting Gibraltar coins in Gibraltar. Lol. They all went into the charity coin box at Heathrow.

• 2 months later...

I had similar problems with paper money at GBP 10 I think, I went into the Barclays Bank around the corner from my hotel and they changed them with a smile. I don't quite understand why the Brits are constantly changing the money though.

Hey wait, what's this all about? :o

Are you saying my 10 pound notes aren't good anymore? I've had them for a couple of years now. How can you tell if they are now worthless? I have two 10 pound notes but no one pound coins. I do have a bunch of other change, is it still good?

Are you saying my 10 pound notes aren't good anymore? I've had them for a couple of years now. How can you tell if they are now worthless? I have two 10 pound notes but no one pound coins. I do have a bunch of other change, is it still good?

See these pages from the Bank of England web site about the new polymer £10 note introduced 14 September 2017 and the old paper £10 note that was withdrawn 1 March 2018.

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/polymer-10-pound-note

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/paper-10-pound-note

Unless it's a plastic note with a picture of Jane Austen it's not good anymore.

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/polymer-10-pound-note

Unless it's a plastic note with a picture of Jane Austen it's not good anymore.

They may not be good to spend but the Bank of England will exchange them for current notes at face value in person or by post - and there's no time limit for doing that.

Thanks for the information. We won't be back in England until next April and we're not going to be in London, so I may try mailing it in... though I will have to check with my bank about transfers or checks (or cheques).

Do see if you can get the bank transfer option to work for you. Like you, I am in the US and I ended up using the cheque option to exchange four old £10 notes I sent via the "exchanging banknotes by post" method. I received a £40 check from the Bank of England in the mail as expected.

About a week after I deposited the check with my local bank, I received a credit of approximately $52 into my bank account but was also charged a $30 check processing fee. Both the credit and the fee were described as "Santander". Apparently the method my local US bank uses for cashing a check in pounds sterling involves Santander Bank and not surprisingly fees are incurred along the way.

So, in the end, my £40 in old bank notes turned into a net of only $22 using the cheque process through my local bank. I really should have known better. Lesson learned.

Do see if you can get the bank transfer option to work for you. Like you, I am in the US and I ended up using the cheque option to exchange four old £10 notes I sent via the "exchanging banknotes by post" method. I received a £40 check from the Bank of England in the mail as expected.

About a week after I deposited the check with my local bank, I received a credit of approximately $52 into my bank account but was also charged a $30 check processing fee. Both the credit and the fee were described as "Santander". Apparently the method my local US bank uses for cashing a check in pounds sterling involves Santander Bank and not surprisingly fees are incurred along the way.

So, in the end, my £40 in old bank notes turned into a net of only $22 using the cheque process through my local bank. I really should have known better. Lesson learned.

Ouch

Thank you so much for posting this. I contacted my credit union and they said they wouldn't process any payment that had not been converted to dollars ahead of time. So glad I checked.

I think we'll just take them with us to Southampton next year and find a charity that would be willing to take them. At least we only had two of them.