Help!!! Sea legs still hanging around 6 days later, Will this feeling pass ever?!

seahowIrun

:confused:

I have never taken a cruise before and decided it would be fun to do on my hunymoon, I was on the carnival inspiration in Tampa for 5 days got off last sat at 9am hopped on a plane to MN right after and 6 days later I still have my sea legs I tried all the over the counter meds and seabands and meclazine, ginger, nothing seems to help. And I have gotten really dizzy a few times. it only seems to go away when Im in the car or if I have been up for a while.

I wish I would have known this was a thing that could happern before I went on my cruise. Worried that this is a permenant thing, everyone tells me that it will pass in time but I have heard of it lasting for years and now I think I have worried myself! has anyone had it last longer than a week before?

Here is a very recent thread on the same subject.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=28887617#post28887617

I posted in this thread as well. I have had it last anywhere from 3 days to 3 months. There is no finite time line as it varies greatly from person to person. Like the poster above stated, if it remains bothersome, see your doctor. But please, don't worry yourself silly over it. More than likely, it will continue to lessen until it is gone completely.

I always get this after I cruise. For me, it usually lasts 7-14 days and eventually goes away. (Just yesterday I stopped feeling it from my April 3 cruise). I find that taking strong OTC decongestants (the kind you have to go to the pharmacy desk for) helps greatly.

Hang in there!

Thanks for the reassurance guys! It helps to hear that everyone eventually gets over this hopefully it will pass soon, I will try taking some decongestants, I wonder if I had taken sea sickness meds while on the Cruise if I wouldn't have had this issue. I actually called carnival yesterday to see if they had ever expirienced this and the custoemr service woman said she had never heard of it. My co workers all felt really bad for me because I was wobbling all around for the past few days. My dad thinks its funny and just laughs at me.

Thanks for the reassurance guys! It helps to hear that everyone eventually gets over this hopefully it will pass soon, I will try taking some decongestants, I wonder if I had taken sea sickness meds while on the Cruise if I wouldn't have had this issue. I actually called carnival yesterday to see if they had ever expirienced this and the custoemr service woman said she had never heard of it. My co workers all felt really bad for me because I was wobbling all around for the past few days. My dad thinks its funny and just laughs at me.

bonine starting the day before the cruise, each day on the cruise and a few days after. religiously even if you feel fine. i swear by bonine.

Or, Benadryl....an antihistimine will be better than a decongestant...try it.

And, it usually goes away in about 10 days or so.....the longest it's lasted for me is 2 weeks...the shortest...3 days. It's NOT permanent!

Or, Benadryl....an antihistimine will be better than a decongestant...try it.

And, it usually goes away in about 10 days or so.....the longest it's lasted for me is 2 weeks...the shortest...3 days. It's NOT permanent!

...all the same, touch base with your doctor to make sure it's not something in your ears.

bonine starting the day before the cruise, each day on the cruise and a few days after. religiously even if you feel fine. i swear by bonine.

That's exactly what I do. The secret is to keep taking it for a few days post-cruise so that your body can adjust from a motion environment to a non-motion environment.

Even though I'm prone to seasickness and take Bonine religiously as above, I prefer a slight sway of the ship during the cruise, not a rocky motion, but just the slight sway. Makes for great naps ;)

Yep, I have been there. I had major lightheaded episodes and a couple of really dizzy spells for a bit after my cruise. I took Dramamine daily and eventually it all stopped. I even went to the doctor to make sure my ears were okay. It should stop soon. I was pretty good during the cruise and the long drive home (17 hours). It was after I got home that I started feeling really woozy. As long as I was moving, I was okay!

Me too! Bonine is the best! I do the exact same thing...one Bonine the night before the cruise, every day of the cruise, and a couple days after (or more)....and I suffer from vertigo from my MS...but the Bonine is a life-saver!!!:D

I have never taken a cruise before and decided it would be fun to do on my hunymoon, I was on the carnival inspiration in Tampa for 5 days got off last sat at 9am hopped on a plane to MN right after and 6 days later I still have my sea legs I tried all the over the counter meds and seabands and meclazine, ginger, nothing seems to help. And I have gotten really dizzy a few times. it only seems to go away when Im in the car or if I have been up for a while.

I wish I would have known this was a thing that could happern before I went on my cruise. Worried that this is a permenant thing, everyone tells me that it will pass in time but I have heard of it lasting for years and now I think I have worried myself! has anyone had it last longer than a week before?

After our first cruise, similar thing happened to me, even when just sitting, kept feeling like I was moving, and it lasted almost a week, then like magic, next morning it was gone. It should pass in a day or so. Welcome to our addiction.

Mimgan

100% agreement!! I learned the hard way, after my first cruise.

DH had a real problem with diziness after a cruise and flight. The ENT told him to take Bonine. It worked and he was better the next day. ENT also advised that when combining a flight with the cruise to take Bonine last 3 days of the cruise and for several days after. It has worked like a charm.

I recently had a bout of vertigo (alas not cruise induced) and saw the ENT. He advised that if it happened again I should cut out all caffeine, take an antihistamine and drink lots of water. Followed his advice and the vertigo (room spinning) stopped within a few hours. The previous bout without this treatment lasted 3 days.

i have gone anywhere from no feeling, to a feeling that lasted about a week. i finally figured out it depended on the sea conditions at the end of the trip.

I have huge issues in closed in areas like the shower after a cruise. I have almost fallen out of the shower many times while trying to wash my hair!

Yeah the small spaces are the worst. Feels like my head is not connected somtimes.

It's been about a week for me and the doctor said to just wait it out. I took some decongestants and it helped a bit. I hope that this doesnt happen everytime I go because cruses are really fun but trying to work like this is really hard.

Archived