Formal Night Question

payitforward

Hi All,

This thread is NOT to debate the merits of formal night. I understand that I can wear whatever I want, as can others. I am just interested in people's personal experience because I am new to Carnival. Do people wear long dresses on formal nights? Is one formal night more formal than the other? I have a ton of different cruise dresses ranging from short and casual to long and sparkly. While I like to dress up, I also want to be appropriate for my surroundings, and only want to pack things I will actually wear. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

We travel very light, but still like to dress up. I enjoy wearing long dresses, but have settled on a shorter Little Black Dress. You will see all range of dress on ladies for Elegant night. My hairdresser takes all of her fancy stuff when she cruises, because she doesn't get an opportunity to wear it other times. EM

On my last cruise, I saw no long dresses and no tuxedos on elegant night. I only saw a handful of sport coats. There was even a woman with sports shorts on with a hoodie in the dining room on elegant night.

Where is your cruise? Mine was Cozumel, grand cayman and Jamaica,

On my last cruise, I saw no long dresses and no tuxedos on elegant night. I only saw a handful of sport coats. There was even a woman with sports shorts on with a hoodie in the dining room on elegant night.

Where is your cruise? Mine was Cozumel, grand cayman and Jamaica,

I'm on Splendor to the Mexican Riviera on June 30.

My experience has been that "elegant" night has become simpler and less formal over time. Though you will see some extremes, most women wear "nice" dresses or pants outfits, and most mean wear chinos and a collared shirt (with or without tie and/or jacket). A smaller but still significant number with be the women in cocktail dresses and the men in suits.

Formal night is a personal thing fro what i have seen. Been on 23 cruises and have always seen some in extremely formal gowns and tuxedos. Not most. Think a majority change to long pants and polos, that it an estimate. Main thing is do what do like as long as you follow the dining rules on those nights. and yes someone will insist on not following the dress code on those nights and they will be allowed to do this. Some people just have to be noticed so by wearing shorts on a formal night will make it so that everyone sees them

Carnival made a deliberate policy change some years ago from " formal " to " elegant " night to suggest a more casual approach to evening wear. Since that time there have been fewer tuxes and formal gowns.

I've cruised the Mexican Riviera many times with Carnival and only once saw a pair of women in formal gowns. The cost of air baggage has been a significant factor in the decrease in formal evening wear in the past few years aboard cruise ships as well.

Edited by sanmarcosman

Normally I wear a business suit and DW wears a nice dress and neither of us feels out of place, even though we do see the occasional shorts/t-shirt combo. On Glory we went all out because we were celebrating our 25th anniversary so I brought my tux and her dresses were a bit fancier than normal. I saw more tuxes on that cruise than on any other, there happened to be 2 or 3 wedding parties onboard. Even folks not in the wedding party were dressed up. Maybe it was because it was a Thanksgiving cruise.

My DH and I do not travel light- we enjoy dressing up on formal night. Not ball gown dressed up-but elegant cocktail attire. He always wears a formal jacket, tie and slacks- I opt for a short dress or silk slacks and a top. We never felt out of place and typically get many compliments on how we look. Enjoy your cruise.

Hi All,

This thread is NOT to debate the merits of formal night. I understand that I can wear whatever I want, as can others. I am just interested in people's personal experience because I am new to Carnival. Do people wear long dresses on formal nights? Is one formal night more formal than the other? I have a ton of different cruise dresses ranging from short and casual to long and sparkly. While I like to dress up, I also want to be appropriate for my surroundings, and only want to pack things I will actually wear. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Actually, you cannot wear what you want. You can wear what the dress code says you can wear and up (up being classier). Not many formal dresses as of late but still see them. Dress any way you want as long as it meets the dress code.

Actually, you cannot wear what you want. You can wear what the dress code says you can wear and up (up being classier). Not many formal dresses as of late but still see them. Dress any way you want as long as it meets the dress code.

But the current dress code has gotten very casual. Dress shirt and slacks for me and pants and dressy top for DW.

Used to dress more formally but when we fly we take one large suitcase which has to stay within 50 pounds so some things had to go.

But the current dress code has gotten very casual. Dress shirt and slacks for me and pants and dressy top for DW.

Used to dress more formally but when we fly we take one large suitcase which has to stay within 50 pounds so some things had to go.

Yes, it has become more casual. I do still see very formal as well though no wear near as much as when I first started cruising. As long as the OP meets the minimum code, she will be fine. She can go well above that if she chooses as well.

We always bring two large suitcases-not a big deal to pay additional to have choice. We also each take a carry-on and back pack, in the event our luggage has issues arriving on board. No reason to travel without everything you want to bring. However if you cannot afford it-you bring what you can. Some people bring bottled water on board to save a few dollars- I wouldn't.

We just did the Breeze in Feb and Glory in May..... there were lots of people in very dressy, long dresses and nice suits but all of them were also lined up for photo sessions. In the MDR we saw people in a range from basic black dresses to glitter covered formals to capris with fancy tops (Me). We only saw one person who looked too casual per the dress code, and you could tell he felt bad as his whole table was dressed up - I am guessing he forgot to bring something appropriate.

I love seeing all the family portraits being done on elegant nights.... from grandparents to little kids, all dressed up and matching. That's part of the fun of elegant night - walking around and checking out all crowd.

And its funny, my DH dresses up for work every day, so I expect him to hate dressing up these nights, but he enjoys it. It feels festive and special.

robin

Since you asked for opinions, here is mine. Carnival has become anything but formal. As you will see in the many debates on here, people seem to think that a polo qualifies as a dress shirt. As a result, you will see many people in what in the professional world is known as business casual for men, and others that won't even do that much. On the other end of the spectrum you will see men in coat and tie or suits, and occasionally a tux. Some cruises run more toward the casual end, others a bit snappier and I have found no rhyme or reason.

I wear a "little black dress" with strappy sandals one night, and a cocktail dress another. I always buy my dresses in the wrinkle free, light weight travel variety. My DH will always comply with dress code and at a minimum have on a long sleeve dress shirt. If I wore a long dress, it would be of the maxi variety.

If you want a more formal experience, I would suggest trying a Princess cruise. We are going with them for the 3rd time in December and I am hoping to truly dress with my men in tuxedos and me in a floor length evening dress.

There are no formal nights, there are "elegant nights".

You will see a very small smattering of folks in true formal wear (tuxes for the guys and formal gowns for the ladies), guys in dark suits, light suits, blazer and khakis, polo and khakis, polo and "nice" jeans. Women in cocktail dresses, sundresses, sparkly tops and dark pants etc. There is no dress code, merely suggestions.

I wore long dresses on elegant night. I’m usually a very casual person but really enjoyed dressing up and “doing dinner.” . We saw plenty of people dressed the same, some in cocktail wear and other in more informal dress.

You will see every mode of dress on Elegant Night on Carnival. There is no shipwide dress code for the evening, just for admittance to the MDR and reservations required specialty dining. Even then you will have those that do only the bare minimum of dockers/khakis w/ a button down shirt (Hawaiian prints are popular) for either gender to those that want to wear tuxedos and gowns with a good portion falling in the middle doing more of a business/smart casual attire. Since the dress code is only for dining many once done with dinner opt to go back to casual wear, or other's skip wearing clothing to the dress code and eat at the buffet.

So once at the entertainment venues you will see everything from gym shorts and men's sleeveless tee-shirts and women with a swimwear under a cover-up right up to those that stayed in their formal clothing. The cruise length and departure port also seem to affect how formal Elegant Night is. Cruises with a passenger base that is more likely to drive to port than fly-in (thus avoiding airline baggage fees) seem to dress better, while shorter itineraries seem to gravitate to a more casual look than those on longer cruises.

My advice dress the way you wish to celebrate that night. If you want formal looking family portraits dress that way, if you feel better in a more casual mode of dress do that instead. Just remember the hostess or maitre'D does hold discretion on what meets the dining room dress code and can deny entry if they feel you are underdressed.

Hi All,

I've seen all different modes that you described. Pick the one that you will be happiest with (or 2 in case you still can't decide). If you want Glamour photos, you may want the dressier. If not, go with the easier to pack.

Of course there is absolutely no reason you couldn't do that on Carnival.:)

Except that they would look at me like I sprouted 3 heads. They know how casual Carnival is - even the kids are Platinum.

And honestly, yes, I could do it but I would feel horribly out of place. At least on Princess there will be plenty of others dressed formally for dinner and photos.

I'm on Splendor to the Mexican Riviera on June 30.

West Coast is very casual. You’ll see a whole range of choices. Very rare to see full suits or gowns. Many men will choose long shirts with slacks & jacket or slacks and tie. Rare to see jacket and tie together. Many gals wear cocktail dresses or black slacks and a pretty top.

So, last cruise in the Inspiration us two Diamonds were invited to have dinner with the Captain. I wasn’t planning on going to CE night but was able to put something together. Black pants, bright tank top with a patterned cardigan. The other Diamond was in the same predicament, lol.

I have worked from home for over 15 years and have not desire to get really dressed up. I wore patterned capris and a nice shirt with jewelry and flats. Nobody said anything to me. I don't think you should wear swimsuits and flip flops but I don't think you should be expected to wear evening gowns, either.

This is my experience, I normally wear a suite w/tie. However, my last cruise was Princess Ruby in which I rented a tux. I did not feel out of place because there were a good handful of guys that were wearing tux for Formal/Elegant night. Our next cruise is on Carnival Splendor, and known that Carnival's pax are not as formal I will be sporting; nice slacks, button down shirt with jacket, but no tie. In the end, its up to you and what you want to do no one will say anything, well except your table mates. My table mates on last cruise (Ruby Princess) made me feel really good they all told me I was the best looking guy at the table:cool:. That is when I realized I was the only guy at the table:o.....LoL If you feel like getting real fancy then go for it, however if you are not the fancy type then just dress good enough to get in the MDR on formal/elegant night. This is your cruise so enjoy it the way you see fit.