Hubbie need Sport Coat for dining in Specialty restaurants? White Night in Baltics?

Hi all,

We're new to cruising with NCL on the Breakaway in the Baltics in June. Does my husband need anything dressier than pants and collared shirts for dining in Le Bistro, Ocean Blue etc? We're traveling for 16 days total and trying to minimize packing things that we'll only wear once or twice.

And will there be a White Night party during a Baltic sailing?

Thanks all,

Lynne in Boston

Just finished the Breakaway Baltics cruise. There was not a White Nights evening, unless I missed it. Husband was able to wear nice shorts at the two complementary dining venues, but not Manhattan. NCL is super casual. Some people dress up but you don't have to. To save on packing, I accessorize with different scarfs or necklaces and often wear the same basic black top most evenings.

Hi all,

We're new to cruising with NCL on the Breakaway in the Baltics in June. Does my husband need anything dressier than pants and collared shirts for dining in Le Bistro, Ocean Blue etc? We're traveling for 16 days total and trying to minimize packing things that we'll only wear once or twice.

And will there be a White Night party during a Baltic sailing?

Thanks all,

Lynne in Boston

Nope, t shirt and jeans work fine in any dining establishment on board. Never had a problem.

I have never been on an NCL cruise (at least since 2012), that didn't have a White Hot Party or similar (some ships, including the Breakaway, have Glow instead), and that includes the Baltic a couple of years ago.

I'd be extremely surprised if the Breakaway doesn't have either White Hot or Glow.

This may be your opinion, but it is NOT what NCL says in the FAQ''s

https://www.ncl.com/faq#what-clothes-should---pack

Men should have a collared shirt for the aft main dining room, and La Bistro.

It is NOT my opinion, it is factual experience. I have eaten in a specialty restaurant every night of all eight of my cruises and I always have worn a t-shirt and blue jeans. Never had a mention about my clothing. Even the coupel of times that the hotel director took all of us to dinner. Notice your quote says SHOULD, not MUST.

This may be your opinion, but it is NOT what NCL says in the FAQ''s

https://www.ncl.com/faq#what-clothes-should---pack

What NCL *says* and what the reality is, are two different things entirely.

The bottom line is, it is not enforced.

I take one with me. Don't wear it every night, but for me it's nice to have the option. I think it's more the way I was raised, that if your going somewhere nice for diner you need to dress like you belong there. This is not a knock on anyone, because I know many people wear dressier clothes to work than I do or did, and don't want to have to dress up on vacation. That's the beauty of NCL you can do what you want, and no one should care.

That MDR requirement doesn't apply to every ship. Some ships allow shorts in every MDR.

As for "enforcement" of the dress code, I'm sure that varies. When someone asks what the dress code is, it's best to give them what is written and let them go from there. It's like if someone asks what the speed limit is for a certain interstate highway. I would tell them the posted speed limit (70mph) even though nearly everyone goes faster (80mph) and doesn't get a ticket.

As for "enforcement" of the dress code, I'm sure that varies. When someone asks what the dress code is, it's best to give them what is written and let them go from there. It's like if someone asks what the speed limit is for a certain interstate highway. I would tell them the posted speed limit (70mph) even though nearly everyone goes faster (80mph) and doesn't get a ticket.

Absolutely.

Both pieces of information are useful. Many people will want to know how the dress code is actually enforced, but many of us want to be sure that we do at least meet the published dress code. If the dress code says I should wear a collared shirt then the fact that I could get away with a T-Shirt is irrelevant to me, but others feel differently, I'm sure.

I note that on another thread today, someone mentioned seeing someone get sent away from a dining room because they didn't have sleeves. Regardless of previous experience, if you aren't following the dress code there is always the risk of not being allowed in.

We have seen a man turned away at one MDR because he had on shorts and sandals. He was told he could go to the ‘other’ MDR that had the same menu. On most ships, it is not enforced. I am not sure of the ship, but I think it was a Mediterranean cruise on the Spirit. Caribbean cruises seem to be more relaxed. I guess you should be prepared in case the rules are enforced.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have seen a man turned away at one MDR because he had on shorts and sandals. He was told he could go to the ‘other’ MDR that had the same menu. On most ships, it is not enforced. I am not sure of the ship, but I think it was a Mediterranean cruise on the Spirit. Caribbean cruises seem to be more relaxed. I guess you should be prepared in case the rules are enforced.

Some ships allow shorts in the aft MDR and some don’t. The freestyle dailies always let you know.

What NCL *says* and what the reality is, are two different things entirely.

The bottom line is, it is not enforced.

When the code *says* that guests SHOULD do something there really is nothing to enforce. Reality is that when it says you should wear a collared shirt it means that you can choose to or not to do so.

They call Carnival the "Wal Mart of the Seas" but based on these comments, I'm worried NCL might fall in that same category. Yikes. I wear shorts and a t-shirt when running errands, can't step it up a notch for your trip? Hint to the males - your ladies don't like lazy sloppy dress...no matter what they might tell you to help you feel better about yourself.

They call Carnival the "Wal Mart of the Seas" but based on these comments, I'm worried NCL might fall in that same category. Yikes. I wear shorts and a t-shirt when running errands, can't step it up a notch for your trip? Hint to the males - your ladies don't like lazy sloppy dress...no matter what they might tell you to help you feel better about yourself.

I just love when other people try to put words in my mouth, Not! I'm in love with my husband because of how he acts and all he does for me. I could care less what he wears. To me, the inside is much more important than putting on airs.

Our last two cruises were on Princess and he dressed up quite a bit so that I could enjoy the sit down dining rooms. I am very glad to be returning to NCL for our next cruise where he can relax in his shorts at dinner, and to be honest, so that I can wear my jeans. It is way too cold on cruise ships for me to wear shorts.

The fact that you happen to think that any given clothing comprises 'sloppy dress' is pretty much irrelevant just as is my opinion that those capris pants that some women wear are the silliest looking clothing ever.

NCL cruises are generally more expensive that your typical carnival fare.. the "wal-mart" crowd in my experience don't cruise Norwegian. I have never been on Carnival so I can't really judge :halo::halo::halo:.There are plenty of people on board who dress up and if you want to, you will look good and not stand out because plenty of other people are doing it too. I have never seen someone in a t-shirt in Cagney's or La Bistro.

Thanks everyone! We're excited for the Freestyle cruise concept especially for the dress code. After hauling suits/tuxes for my 3 sons and DH for a Medit. cruise years ago on Celebrity...so happy to not use up so much suitcase space with those items!

When I read my DH all your comments his response was, "I'd never think of wearing a t-shirt out to dinner to a nice restaurant at home...so I'll bring collared shirts for dinner." To each his own! He's in his mid fifties and is a lawyer used to dressing up everyday, so going out to dinner in t-shirts and shorts wouldn't occur to him...even when we cruised on Carnival!

Thanks all!

Lynne