Where to purchase wine in Ft. Lauderdale

wrg11

DH and I will be flying in Saturday morning and due to arrive around 10:00am. Is there anywhere near the port to purchase a couple of bottles of wine? Walking distance would be great, otherwise we want to keep the taxi fare to a minimum. Thanks in advance.

If your ship is at berth 2, Walgreens is well within walking distance. For a drug store they have a pretty good selection. We usually walk over on turn-around day when we're doing a B2B.

Although Total Wine has the best wine selection in the area, it's location is not a short walk by any means. Taking a taxi to and from Total Wine will cost you a minimum of $10 each way..the minimum charge entering or exiting Port Everglades.

As mentioned above, you might want to place your order online at Total Wine in advance and have your taxi from the airport do a drive by for pickup.

Lew

Walgreen only has really cheap wines and a very limited selection.

We found Korbel sparling wine at Walgreen's, which we enjoy a lot....so, we did pick up 3 bottles of this wine and carried it back to our cabin.

Total Wine on 17th Street. A good hike getting there but you won't want to carry it back. Short cab ride either way. It's right near Embassy Suites and Hyatt Place. There's a supermarket next door.

One time we cruised and stayed at Embassy Suites on 17th St, as Pam says. Our cruise left on Sunday, but we were fortunate enough to visit Total Wine the day before on Saturday (before 5:00 PM). It's a good thing we did, because alcohol sales weren't allowed on Sunday until after 12:00 Noon, both at Total Wine and the Publix supermarket next door. We would have been out of luck had we tried to buy our wine the morning of our cruise.

We are thinking of purchasing a case of wine at Total Wines and expect to pay corkage on this.

My question is should I print out a luggage ticket for this?

Could I also get confirmation that I print out one luggage ticket for each piece of checked luggage and that I don't need to have one on my carry on?

We are thinking of purchasing a case of wine at Total Wines and expect to pay corkage on this.

Could I also get confirmation that I print out one luggage ticket for each piece of checked luggage and that I don't need to have one on my carry on?

You need a tag on anything you want the stewards to deliver to your room for you.

If you are going straight to your cabin with your carry ons and wine, then no need to bother with tags.

You will pay corkage only on bottles you carry ( or have delivered) to the dining room or public bar where it will be opened, served and stored. If you drink any in your room, you will pay nothing.

I'm not sure that you can bring a case of wine onboard. I think the maximum is (2) 150 ml bottles per cabin. check with the cruiseline first before you buy a case. just my 2 cents worth. I guess the worse they will do is save the rest of the bottles for you and give them to you after the cruise.

Yes, there are cruiselines that do not restrict (or don't enforce) wine carry ons. We have done it on a couple longer cruises. As well as many other cruisers who enjoy a particular variety rather than what is offered on the ship. And there's nothing like having a couple glasses of wine before dinner on the balcony.

I'll assume you are sailing on HAL if you are planning on bringing that much wine. Most (not all) cruise lines only allow two (2) 750ml bottles to be carried on.

Yes, there are cruiselines that do not restrict (or don't enforce) wine carry ons. We have done it on a couple longer cruises. As well as many other cruisers who enjoy a particular variety rather than what is offered on the ship. And there's nothing like having a couple glasses of wine before dinner on the balcony.

Sorry, I just assumed it was a Carnival cruise (what's that saying about assume? - lol). Wow, didn't know about unlimited wine on some cruiselines - will have to check them out - is it unlimited wine or unlimited alcohol in general?

Archived