Shipping Luggage to China

EAGLESLOVER

I want to ship some luggage to our precruise hotel in Shanghai.

If you have shipped luggage to China I would like to know the company that you used.

Thanks in advance.

I have traveled to Shanghai several times (next this October).

It would be very expensive....and not sure I would trust it to actually get there or in time...what if it doesn't ?

Why not just take your luggage with you on your flight ?

Lived in shanghai for three years. Shipping was crazy hard! We took anything we cared about on the plane with us... good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While on a land trip through China in 2016 we shipped a purchase home with the help of our hotel in Shanghai through DHL. Were told we would receive package within 2 weeks, and paid the equivalent of just over $100 usd, for wrapping and shipping, which we were okay with. Our package arrived about 6 weeks later, and in a terrible shape, with the item inside being damaged. After a lot of effort (they wanted me to file a claim with the Shanghai office!) I was able to get a credit from DHL for the shipping paid and for the item, but it was a disappointing experience. I'd be nervous to trust them with something that I really needed, such as luggage for a trip.

I wouldn't do this (paying fees for extra luggage on a plane is almost always cheaper) but perhaps you're looking for more convenience or you're doing multiple stops or something - check your cruiseline and see if they partner with a service. For instance, we just received our Seabourn cruise info and they partner with Luggage Forward as a "luggage valet" service. From NC (where I am) to Shanghai, rates start at $179.

https://www.luggageforward.com/

Unless OP is shipping half of the household's belongings, each person flying abroad to Asia, including China) get a fairly generous allowance of 2 pc. of luggage each ... on select carriers, free - 20 kg or 44 lbs "Intra-Asia" or 22.5 kg (50 lbs) on top of a smaller cabin-sized carry-on bag (21" or 22" ... as long as it looked fine & not "heavy")

If you cannot fit everything into 4 checked suitcases & 2 carry-on bags, start over & take 1/3 out and leave them home ... you are overpacking, dress/color coordinate in layers & wear your "heaviest" items boarding & flying if it's the winter months.

Laundry services can be located easily & locally in Shanghai and in almost most popular cities where tourists and cruise ship passengers typically visit - in Hong Kong, we had same day services, dropped off across the street from our hotel in the morning & ready, washed-dry-folded (almost wrinkle-free) in the early evening, not even closed to $10 USD based on weight ...

Baido (equivalent of "Google" it) search for what's available nearby ... or research that before leaving.

After a bit more research have decided we will just have to limit our packing to meet the weight limit of 44 lbs for our checked suitcase ( only one each) on the flight from Peking to Shanghai before embarking on the cruise. While we each have two checked bags up to 70 lbs. each on the flight from the US, this is not the case on the intra China flight

This will definitely be a challenge for us as we are not light packers and will be away for 3 1/2 weeks, but if we are a little over the 44, the cost is must less than shipping additional luggage . Certainly less complicated than dealing with potential customs issues.

Will just do laundry on the ship and we will be gold on this trip which will cover the cost of sending out some laundry.

After a bit more research have decided we will just have to limit our packing to meet the weight limit of 44 lbs for our checked suitcase ( only one each) on the flight from Peking to Shanghai before embarking on the cruise. While we each have two checked bags up to 70 lbs. each on the flight from the US, this is not the case on the intra China flight

This will definitely be a challenge for us as we are not light packers and will be away for 3 1/2 weeks, but if we are a little over the 44, the cost is must less than shipping additional luggage . Certainly less complicated than dealing with potential customs issues.

Will just do laundry on the ship and we will be gold on this trip which will cover the cost of sending out some laundry.

Have you looked at the high speed trains? We had no issues with our luggage on the train.