Shoes - how many? What kind?

So how many pairs of shoes do you plan on bringing with you? We are going on a twelve day cruise and it was my intention to make due with three pairs when I first started packing.

Hahahahahaha! Guffaw, guffaw, snort, snort... Yeah right...

So here's what I've got so far ... And I think this is it.

1 pair of running shoes (essential)

1 pair of flip flops (versatile as slippers)

1 pair of wedge flip flops (debating between these and wedge mules to wear with sarong, etc.)

1 pair low wedge sandals for excursions

1 pair high wedge beige sandals for nighttime casual

1 pair high wedge white sandals for daytime/nighttime

2 pairs stilettos for dinner in the mdr (we'll probably eat there most every night)

So that's eight pairs! Not happy with that many, but at the same time don't want to be getting dressed and just wishing I'd brought "that" pair of shoes.

Just curious ... Anyone else in the same boat?

I'll cut down your list for you;) :)Four pair-

1 pair stilettos

Either the wedge flip flops OR the sandals OR the beige sandals OR the white sandals. (Maybe bring a fifth pair chosen from one of these four.)

I usually bring 2 pair- flat black walking 'ballet' shoes and ecco sandals. Will add water shoes if needed.

So how many pairs of shoes do you plan on bringing with you? We are going on a twelve day cruise and it was my intention to make due with three pairs when I first started packing.

Hahahahahaha! Guffaw, guffaw, snort, snort... Yeah right...

So here's what I've got so far ... And I think this is it.

1 pair of wedge flip flops (debating between these and wedge mules to wear with sarong, etc.)

1 pair low wedge sandals for excursions

1 pair high wedge beige sandals for nighttime casual

1 pair high wedge white sandals for daytime/nighttime

2 pairs stilettos for dinner in the mdr (we'll probably eat there most every night)

So that's eight pairs! Not happy with that many, but at the same time don't want to be getting dressed and just wishing I'd brought "that" pair of shoes.

Just curious ... Anyone else in the same boat?

I can't imagine! Who are you going to get to carry your bag and pay for the extra weight!?! I'll have one pair of evening pumps (high heels), one pair of sandals for casual/walking warm weather, and one pair of running shoes or loafers for casual/walking cool weather. Done.

I bring a lot of shoes too :) water shoes, walking sandals, flip flops, aqua wedge sandals (just because I love them!), silver flip flops, silver low dress sandals, black low dress sandals, black high heeled dress sandals, and silver high heeled dress sandals.

I could cut it down if I wanted to, but I only take one checked bag regardless so if they fit, I'm taking them. And I'm sure that no one else will notice if I wore the same 3 or 4 pairs over 9 days but I would care. And I'm not asking anybody else to carry my bag, pull my bag, pack my bag or unpack my bag. As ong as it's under 50 pounds, I'm good to go.

For a 7-night Spring Break cruise, I brought:

1 Merrell Walking Sandals (daytime)

1 Teva Sandals (these are my wet shoes for the pool and for appropriate short excursions)

1 Smart Casual Wedge...Bronze color goes with everything I own if the style fits

1 Dress Sandal...went with both my formals and could also go with my skirts to the MDR

I also brought work out shoes, which I didn't ever wear. I wore a newer pair of non-sandal shoes for embarkation, but I never wore them again. The only other shoe that I wished that I had with me but didn't, was "smart casual FLAT sandals" but I never found a pair that I really liked before the cruise. I ended up wearing my Merrells when I could get away with them, but would have liked to have had a dressier pair of flat sandals.

still trying to figure this out, we leave in 5 weeks.but this is the plan so far...

1-sneakers (for gym)

2-Clarks sandals (for everyday)

3-flip flops (possibly 2 pairs, looking for a new "blingy" pair)

4-red wedge sandals for dinner

5-black strappy sandals (for formal)

6-possibly water shoes

Ehpride and CrabbyQ - kindred spirits!

To the other posters, I know your strategy is much more logical ... but I just can't convince myself that ther is one sandle that will 'do it all'!

We just bought great lightweight rollaway luggage, and we're allowed 30kg each, so I'm not too concerned about the weight. Doc Martens might be another story, but they wouldn't match my outfits anyhow ;-)

If not worrying about luggage I bring 6-7. I can get by with 3 in a dire emergency, but usually bring 4-5.

I always have walking shoes (usually wear them on the plane), Merrell slides and a pair of black wedge pumps. I managed with just these three when we took 7 grandkids on a cruise last year and did only carry-on due to not wanting to pay baggage for 9 people!

I managed 8 days of cruise/extra days in a carry-on. It can be done!

Normally I'd add a pair of cute casual wedges and one other dressier shoe. Depending on activities I take water shoes (Tevas).

If it's just the two of us and we're flying our preferred airline, where we get free baggage, we each take one 25" suitcase plus one smaller one for misc. stuff like shoes, snorkels, etc.

If we are doing a cruise that involves lugging bags very far or doing trains, etc., we limit it to the 2 large bags.

Take as many as you can! I always wear my heaviest pair of wedges/sandals for travelling and put a couple of pairs in my hand luggage to take advantage of that extra weight allowance.

A previous poster said 'like anyone notices' - I don't care what other people think, I notice! I love shoes and I like to wear different shoes with different outfits. My hardest packing decision is which pairs to leave at home. My latest list for my upcoming 7 day cruise is:

1. Flat black sequin sandals (for daytime excursions & casual evening outfits)

2. Flat bronze sandals (same as above but with brown toned outfits!)

3. Pink flip flops (for the pool)

4. Trainers (for the gym and any more energetic shore excursions)

5. Gold high platform heels (for dressier evening outfits)

6. Pink high heeled strappy sandals (for the rest of the evening outfits)

Other possibles I don't really need but might choose one anyway:

7. Flat white balled pumps

8. White high wedges

9. Silver flat gladiator sandals.

Fair enough if people are happy to just have one or two pairs of shoes for the whole cruise, but there's nothing wrong with taking a different pair for everyday if you can fit them in your luggage! Happy shoe choosing anyone :D

I love this thread. I thought I was being pretty practical, by narrowing my selection down to five pairs then my SIL said she's only taking 3 pairs. :eek:

My choices:

2 pair Vibram five fingers (one can double as water shoes) for heavy walking days/working out/etc

1 pair black semi casual sandals (these will be worn not packed)

1 pair brown semi casual sandals

1 pair flip flops

I may need to pick up a pair of dressy wedges if my dress for formal night is longer than I think it will be, otherwise the brown casuals will be hidden under it.

Jennifer

Sailing 8/3/12 on Destiny

I bring all of my shoes that I want...they don't weigh much! Now, hubby's shoes....different story! What do they make men's shoes from...cement???? We do try to limit his shoes, if flying, because they are so big and heavy!!!!

2 pair of beach flipflops

1-2 dress evening shoes

1 sneaker

1-2 pair of causal sandals

so 5- 7 pair, and planning to wear the sneakers on my feet going and coming.

S0 4-6 packed for me

1 sneakers

1 dress shoe

1 causal dress sandal

2 pair of beach flip flops

4 packed for DS

DS will wear his sneakers.

I plan on taking 4 pieces of checked luggage

2 carry on's

So I will take as much as I can as long as I stay under 50lbs on the checked.

I posted a similar question before my cruise in March.

I ended up laying all my outfits/clothes on the bed and set the shoes on top. Then started eliminating. I think I ended up with

-Keen sandles

-water shoes

-tennis shoes

-black heels

-flip flops

I bring a lot of shoes too :) water shoes, walking sandals, flip flops, aqua wedge sandals (just because I love them!), silver flip flops, silver low dress sandals, black low dress sandals, black high heeled dress sandals, and silver high heeled dress sandals.

I could cut it down if I wanted to, but I only take one checked bag regardless so if they fit, I'm taking them. And I'm sure that no one else will notice if I wore the same 3 or 4 pairs over 9 days but I would care. And I'm not asking anybody else to carry my bag, pull my bag, pack my bag or unpack my bag. As ong as it's under 50 pounds, I'm good to go.

I agree, if they fit in your suitcase and you want to take them, go for it! On our ten night E. Caribbean I took the following:

Red pumps

Gold pumps

Silver wedges

Black stiletto sandals

Gold flat sandals

Silver flip flops

Black Nike sport flip flops

Running shoes

I could have cut out the red pumps and worn my gold shoes with both of my "formal" cocktail dresses, but the red looked great with my black dress and I wanted to take them. I did sacrifice and wear my running shoes on the plane, as I normally would not be caught dead in running shoes and regular (non-workout) clothes, but it was worth it to be able to pack an extra pair of shoes! ;)

I hate wearing my sneakers for anything but exercize either; in fact, I used to pack them and wear a more stylish but still comfortable pair for the plane ride.

The last few trips though I have just bitten the bullet and worn the darn things, saving room in the suitcase and also being really comfortable when rushing around airports, etc. I feel really dorky though.

I wish I could wear sandals on planes, like so many people do, but my feet get too cold!

I decide what shoes I want to take first and then put outfits together around them. I always found that it's easier to find the outfit to go with the shoes rather then it is to find shoes to go with the outfit. That being said because we have to fly to ports I usually take only a few pairs:

Tennies

Flip Flops

Tevas

Casual Sandals

Flats

Mid Heel Wedge

I naturally want to overpack so usually I pull out all the things I want to pack, then start assigning clothes to the activities I will use them for and try to see what items can be reused. I bring a travel steamer and clothes refresher so that reworn items feel fresh. Then I teakettle sure to only bring the necessary shoes. If my sister is going as well then we try to coordinate our shoes to maximize options. Here is what I usually bring:

-1pr outdoor walking shoes (sperrys, comfortable sandals, sneakers)

-1pr of water shoes/sandals/flip flops

-1 pr of nude shoes w heel

-1 pr black shoes w heel

sometimes I can skip the nude shoes or black shoes depending on my dresses and sometimes I will wear sperrys and pack sneakers or vice versa

I am wearing/packing the following:

1 pair flip-flops for around the ship/pool

1 pair L. L. Bean Mary Jane style water shoes for excursions and possibly for gym use

1 pair casual/walking sandals for around the ship

1 pair heeled slide sandals for MDR dinners (I love these and wear them every chance I can get, need to get another pair for when I wear these out)

1 pair silver heeled sandals for elegant night

1 pair black heels for elegant night

I am tempted to pack my MJ sneakers just to have with me, but I think that I would be going a little overboard.

Archived