Which Ship?

NDGal

Hi:

My sisters and myself are planning to go on an Alaskan cruise next year, but are not sure of what Cruise line and ship to go on-does anyone have any experiences on what cruise ship would be the best for an Alaskan cruise? Which one is the best value for the price?

Thanks!

I liked it for a few reasons. It stopped in Vancouver not Seattle (and I always wanted to see Vancouver). I found a one way (I started in Seward and ended in Vancouver) which I thought would cover more ground. I liked the ports where it stopped (or thought I did when I booked but later found I didn't think Ketchikan added any value). After cruising, I found I really liked the alternative Icy Strait Point port, which I think might be a celebrity stop only. It had a workout room (I heard mixed reviews on whether or not Holland of America did). The food I thought was pretty good (I didn't think it was as good as other cruisers who had been on different cruise lines in the past did, but I liked it well enough). HOA supposedly had very good food. Entertainment was great (one night was Cirque du Soleil). The drinks were reasonably priced, only 1-2 dollars more per drink than they were at home. They had assigned seats, same seats, every night at dinner and had assigned seats varying at the downstairs breakfast. (I liked assigned seats because it was easier to meet people). Average age was probably about 60 and there were not many kids and not many party animal 20-somethings.

Now that I've cruised, I've learned a bit more about other cruiselines. Princess is supposed to be pretty chincy. Holland of America supposedly is for very old people (one Celebrity staff member was a former HOA member and she said she was never on a cruise where someone didn't die). Norwegian has way pricey drinks, free for all dinners every night at any of a variety of 6 restaurants on board (which if you don't like assigned seating, would be very good). I met some Norwegian people in Juneau, where we docked for I think like 10 hours who complained about only docking like 6 hours. I would research time spent in each port before deciding on a cruise line if possible. Those are my main thoughts for now.

Now that I've cruised, I've learned a bit more about other cruiselines. Princess is supposed to be pretty chincy. Holland of America supposedly is for very old people (one Celebrity staff member was a former HOA member and she said she was never on a cruise where someone didn't die). .

What do you mean by Princess being "chincy"? HAL does attract an older crowd, but Alaska in general does, too. Princess and HAL have the reputation for doing Alaska better than other cruiselines. Guess I'll find out with Princess next summer.

NDGal, don't put too much emphasis on which ship. Do some research on the different ports and see which ones interest you most then look at itineraries and amount of time in port. Read some of the reviews and posts on this website. There's tons of helpful information here, it just takes a little time to work through it, but it's well worth it. Lots of people like Holland America (it's not just for the very old crowd) as well as Princess and Celebrity for Alaska.

Have fun!

Kathy

As an experienced cruiser, I've found that you go with the itinerary and price as your guidelines. While most people have their preferences, remember they all have different expectations. My husband and I personally prefer Princess over all the others and we don't find them chincy or stuck-up as some people might imagine or report. We will take another cruiseline if the itinerary and price is more with our budget. While we're not wild about Carnival, we have planned a Mediterranean cruise next summer with them because of the itinerary and price. Whichever line you choose - keep a positive attitude and you'll have a great time!

HI

Thanks for the info!!! I was starting to look at Carnival Spirit, as I have already used Carnival and had a great time. Any input on the Carnival Spirit, or should I look at another cruise line for Alaska?

Any do not miss excursions on the Alaskan cruise?

I would suggest you NOT miss any opportunity to Whale watch in Juneau. I personally believe it's the better place to whale watch. Everyone I know who's been to Alaska say not to miss the railroad ride in Skagway - but friends recently took it and were a little disappointed that they didn't stop anywhere. It was basically a ride with beautiful scenery. If you're into water activities, the Kayak trip in Ketchikan was an outstanding excursion. I like to recommend you contact the Visitor's Bureau in each of your ports and ask them to forward you a brochure. There you will find lots of information on what to see and do and you can make your choice from reading up about the area. Good luck and have fun!

I'm leaving a week from today on Princess Diamond, Southbound: Whittier to Vancouver. It's becoming hard to sleep, I'm so excited. Mom and I have dreamed about this for many many years.

I picked this trip based on itinerary and price and date (end of season made a difference on price not only for the cruise, but Anchorage hotels). I wanted to do a North or Southbound because I felt we'd see more. Others choose roundtrip for their own reasons. Do not dismiss open jaw air without researching it. Also, though our ship docks in Vancouver, we're taking Amtrak to Seattle because it was cheaper for us to fly out of.

I suggest you and your sisters determine what your priorities are. Mom and I want glaciers and wildlife. We like that Princess has an onboard Naturalist because we want someone interpreting what's going on and also doing the spotting for us. Left to our own devices, we'd probably spend all day on the wrong side of the ship and miss everything.

We also like Anytime Dining - no assigned seats or times - I personally think that is easier for meeting people - but regardless, it will fit us well as we don't want to have to rush onboard to dress for dinner. We want to experience Alaska in our own way and come to dinner when we're ready.

Everyone has their own expectations so make sure to find out what your sisters' are!

Research will yield all your answers. Stick around, read, and ask some more.

Phishface - Ketchikan is a wonderful port. MISTY FJORDS!! We did a float plane excursion with Island Wings and it was thrilling. There are also boat trips through the Misty Fjords.

Ketchikan at the cruise ship port is a man made tourist town..shops etc.. If that is all you saw I can understand your comment about the town.

As for "which ship" question. Check the times in port and the routing. I would also be sure to pick a ship with a naturalist onboard. We sailed NCL last year and they did not have a naturalist. I feel it would have enhanced our first trip greatly.

HI

Thanks for the info!!! I was starting to look at Carnival Spirit, as I have already used Carnival and had a great time. Any input on the Carnival Spirit, or should I look at another cruise line for Alaska?

We cruised the Carnival Spirit this July and had an awesome trip. Plenty of time in the ports to do an excursion and still explore the port. Food was good. Staff was wonderful. Excellant naturalist...I loved it. :D

My favorite excursion was the Floatplane trip to the Taku WIlderness Lodge from Juneau. The view was so pretty from the plane and the lodge was well kept and we had a close encounter of the bear kind !!! I'd be happy to answer any specific question you might have about the Spirit.

HI

We were on the Spirit last Dec. for the Mexican Riveria. Really a beautiful ship, and a great staff. I've only heard wonderful things about the cruise to Alaska, so I don't think you can go wrong.

I've never, in my life, heard that Princess is 'chincy'. In Alaska, the two big players are Holland America and Princess. They have lots of options and itineraries. Some are better than others. Glacier Bay is a must in Alaska as is an onboard naturalist. For me, a balcony is must, too.

We sailed the HAL Ryndam in Alaska and loved it. My wife and I are in late 30s/early 40s. HAL does have reputation for attracting an older crowd but that isn't a bad thing. If you find a good itinerary with HAL, go for it. When you start looking, you will see that some of the HAL sailing are already sold out for 2007.

We are booked on the Coral Princess next June. It has a great itinerary with long days in ports, College Fjord and Glacier Bay and the price of a balcony was just right. The reviews for this ship are great, as well.

NDGal:

We've been on the Spirit twice--Alaska and Southern Caribbean. She's a wonderful ship--we just decided tonight to cruise Alaska again next summer and we're all excited about sailing on the Spirit again.

Cheers!

Jayne

:)

HI

I just posted the stuff below to another thread - but thought it would be worth sharing here. One thing I didn't mention before was that the Spirit has a Naturalist for the ENTIRE cruise. Some cruiselines have them but only for certain portions (there may be others that have one the entire time - I'm just not aware of any).

As far as excursions. After searching these boards for months we have decided on - Whale Watching in Juneau with Ocra Enterprises / Fishing in Ketchikan with Northern Lights / Renting a car in Skagway and driving to Emerld Lake and Sitka - well haven't quite decided - but since it's our first stop and we will be recooping from our 4 days pre-cruise we may just take it easy - LOTS going on after that.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I'm a BIG Carnival fan so I was already leaning towards the Spirit when we decided to look into Alaska - but always being the bargain hunter I decided to check several lines. Carnival in my opinion gave the most bang for the buck. As BQ said they are still doing 4 ports - many just do 3 (and don't stay in the ports as long).

When it comes to the size of the cabins Carnival is best. If you can afford it get a balcony. We originally booked an 8A - standard lowest level balcony - but then thanks to some advise on these boards I saved about $600 (4 person cabin) by getting a 7A (obstructed view). BUT if you do so (7A) you want to avoid the areas where the first 3 lifeboats are - these boats are taller and block the views looking straight out - the cabins farther back have shorter ones. There are a couple cabins in this category that have HUGE balconies - but I'm sure they are gone by now. We went with a cabin on the port side (SB) - after reading the CC boards for months.

I love the food on Carnival and find the staff to be warm.

We choose SB because we wanted to spend some time in Alaska pre-cruise. Sure we could have done that at the end - BUT - we like to get home right after our cruises and since we ALWAYS fly in a day early we figured it was better to do this route and get our days in Alaska first. Some will say that the NB is better because the scenery "builds" as you head north - BUT REALLY - I can't see how any of the trip can be a disappointment no matter what direction you are going.

Oh and the SB - if you look at the itinerary some ports you stay longer then the NB.

It just worked out perfect for us that our ship leaves on the 4th of July. We are spending a couple days in Seward before hand and they have a BIG 4th of July celebration that actually starts on the 3rd. I'm glad I've already booked our hotel because I hear it gets booked up QUICK for this time. Big marathon on the 4th and many people come from all around.

Hi:

My sisters and myself are planning to go on an Alaskan cruise next year, but are not sure of what Cruise line and ship to go on-does anyone have any experiences on what cruise ship would be the best for an Alaskan cruise? Which one is the best value for the price?

Thanks!

I've found it best to shop around and take the best price. I feel that all the ships to Alaska would be wonderful, but what is best depends on what YOU like since what's best for one might not be best for another.

After cruising, I found I really liked the alternative Icy Strait Point port, which I think might be a celebrity stop only.

Celebrity, RCCL, Holland Princess all stop at Icy Strait Point. This is not a Celebrity stop only...

These are my priorities for Alasksa -

2 glacier days (I like Glacier Bay and College Fiords).

Naturalist on board all week (not just the park rangers at the glacier though these guys are good also)

Flexible dinner times - when you are in port late, I hate missing dinner in the dining room. Love to be able to go to the dining room anytime I want (not a fan of buffets).

Good times in port - not a fan of ships that arrive in Juneau at 1 pm or so. Also - I know several who have been upset with the limited time in Victoria but it was stated before they left and they never saw the times - so definitely look at the times in port for each ship you are considering.

Limit the tenders - My first cruise had us tendering in Juneau and it was a mess. Many tender in Ketchikan and that is easier but Juneau took forever to tender.

==========

For me - Princess fits me best. They go to Glacier Bay, CF, they have flexible dining times and a naturalist. I did RT on RCCL Radiance once year and was pretty disappointed in many aspects of the cruise (bad times in port, tendering in Juneau, no natualist, one glacier and the weather wasn't well so we didn't get close, etc..) Look at details closely.

Archived