dining reservations

Action Dave

Yes. Sea days fill up fast and some of the restaurants are extremely tiny such as La Cucina on the Jade. Teppanyaki on the Jade only has 2 seats a night (7 pm and 9 pm) and can only seat 32 people at each seating. If there is a certain restaurant you want, just book it ahead.

Yes, it is better to reserve before going on your cruise. On one of my cruises, I waited til on board to book restaurants. They only have late hours left, which wasn't that bad for me as I normally eat late at home. However, Cagney's was booked throughout the cruise. No more reservations left.

Ive read that its a good idea to make dining reservations online before the cruise. Has anybody had issues with getting a reservation once onboard?

I just called NCL and was told only 25% of dining reservations are available pre cruise to book. The other 75% are done once boarding the ship. Sure hope this is true because i could not get a reservation for 2 to Le Bistro or Cagneys. Strange they had seating available for 1??

Ive read that its a good idea to make dining reservations online before the cruise. Has anybody had issues with getting a reservation once onboard?

It also depends on the ship, how many people are in your party, and the restaurant you want to book. On the Gem and the Breakaway, our party of four had little to no wait for the main dinning rooms. The specialty restaurants do tend to book up quickly.

The whole reservation thing needs some work. On our last TA, the only time that required a wait at a MDR was right after a show got out or maybe if you wanted to wait for a table for two.

Specially sites often showed being full. One day we went to the reservation counter to be told Cagneys was full that night. We walked up at 6:30 and were seated immediately. The place was only 25% full and remained under 50% for the entire meal. I cannot explain it nor could the staff. This repeated itself throughout the cruise.

If you make reservations in advance online for say Moderno or Teppanyaki (where there is a fixed fee of $24.95 or $29.95), do you pay at the time of booking?

If you do have to pay in advance, how does this work if you have purchased a speciality dining package which you intend to use in those venues?

I understand Cagney's, La Cucina and Le Bistro are al la carte so how are these charged in advance if you make a reservation? Again we intend to use a package in these venues.

I assume we can make reservations for Taste or The Manhattan Room in advance without charge as these are complimentary.

TIA

If you make reservations in advance online for say Moderno or Teppanyaki (where there is a fixed fee of $24.95 or $29.95), do you pay at the time of booking?

Yes unless you have the SDP before you book as your information with NCL shows that.

I understand Cagney's, La Cucina and Le Bistro are al la carte so how are these charged in advance if you make a reservation? Again we intend to use a package in these venues.

They are not

Yes unless you have the SDP before you book as your information with NCL shows that.

They are not

Many thanks, so the trick is purchase the SDP first, then make reservations. So used to another line where if you book a dining package you can only make reservations once onboard.

If you do have to pay in advance, how does this work if you have purchased a speciality dining package which you intend to use in those venues?

I assume we can make reservations for Taste or The Manhattan Room in advance without charge as these are complimentary.

TIA

With your SDP make reservations for fixed fee reservations first, then ala carte. That way the fixed fee restaurants are applied against your SDP and not charged upfront. They don't know what you'll order at the ala carte restaurants yet so you are not charged upfront. The exception is Ocean Blue (an ala carte restaurant) where there is something like a $15 upcharge when using the SDP so they will want payment now for that. I want to use my OBC for the upcharge so I made it my restaurant #4 (I have a 3-meal SDP) and will drop a reservation once on board.

With your SDP make reservations for fixed fee reservations first, then ala carte. That way the fixed fee restaurants are applied against your SDP and not charged upfront. They don't know what you'll order at the ala carte restaurants yet so you are not charged upfront. The exception is Ocean Blue (an ala carte restaurant) where there is something like a $15 upcharge when using the SDP so they will want payment now for that. I want to use my OBC for the upcharge so I made it my restaurant #4 (I have a 3-meal SDP) and will drop a reservation once on board.

Thanks for the info! I booked Teppanyaki and Moderno 1st at no charge, then the others, and sure enough those later showed the charge on the explore and plan page after I made 3 reservations....and as for times I ended up switching around the order of where we wanted to eat each night in order to get the time we wanted. Since I’m assuming shows are at 7:30 I wanted 6pm times so as not to feel rushed.

If you are eating in Specialty Restaurants at 6pm you will feel rushed even for 7.30 shows if you want a good seat. Even more so if the shows start at 7.15. Remember the show's doors open 30 minutes before the show starts and people are queuing before they open. The idea of Specialty Restaurants in my eyes is to take your time and to enjoy the food and enjoy the experience.

Book as soon as you can; you can always cancel when on board. BUT please do it as soon as possible so others get a chance of dining at the special time.

we were told 90 days out....would not make earlier & we have 9 people. Really wanted to do asap. Carnival allows earlier.

we were told 90 days out....would not make earlier & we have 9 people. Really wanted to do asap. Carnival allows earlier.

NCL has changed

The booking window to 120 days (240 for suites). Don’t play with the online system. Pick up the phone and call reservations. Prime time reservations sell out quickly online and on embarkation day. The most popular is Cagney’s and Teppanyaki.

If you are eating in Specialty Restaurants at 6pm you will feel rushed even for 7.30 shows if you want a good seat. Even more so if the shows start at 7.15. Remember the show's doors open 30 minutes before the show starts and people are queuing before they open. The idea of Specialty Restaurants in my eyes is to take your time and to enjoy the food and enjoy the experience.

Oh...well hopefully there are 2 shows and we’ll hit the later ones....I’ll just have to take some chill pills

NCL has changed

The booking window to 120 days (240 for suites). Don’t play with the online system. Pick up the phone and call reservations. Prime time reservations sell out quickly online and on embarkation day. The most popular is Cagney’s and Teppanyaki.

Are you sure about the 240 for suites. I'm 169 days out and reservations are not available yet.

We made our reservations once we boarded the ship -first thing we did. We had no problems getting the restaurants or the times that we wanted. We were also able to move around a reservation with no problem. Watch for cancellations. The Getaway had a board that posted the times the restaurants were available for that day. I agree with some of the other posts - the restaurants are a relaxing dining experience. Make your reservations where you are not hurried and enjoy the atmosphere, food and service.

We made our reservations once we boarded the ship -first thing we did. We had no problems getting the restaurants or the times that we wanted. We were also able to move around a reservation with no problem. Watch for cancellations. The Getaway had a board that posted the times the restaurants were available for that day. I agree with some of the other posts - the restaurants are a relaxing dining experience. Make your reservations where you are not hurried and enjoy the atmosphere, food and service.

NCL has changed

Still wondering if this post is correct and they have changed the time frame for suites to book reservations to 240, not the 130 I've been told.