Platinum Plus priority dining benefit

designergirl

I'm confused. I've tried to make use of this benefit on my last two cruises, but was not able to use it. They say it's only "when available." But, if any reservation time is available, it will be given to anyone who requests it, so when does the "priority" part EVER have a chance to kick in? I'm interested in your opinions, or experience with this. Thanks.

I put it down as one of those benefits that doesn’t really exist as soon as I saw about it, to be honest. A bit like the concierge.

Luckily for us, these aren’t things that we would particularly use anyway (we make our reservations in advance), but I wouldn’t waste too much time on it anyway.

It is quite unclear what it is actually supposed to be anyway. The actual wording is “priority restaurant and entertainment seating”. The entertainment seating (when I have seen it) is just a row of seats which may be described as being better positioned (although that is debatable). I wonder whether the restaurant one just means you may get better positioned seats. For example, we often seem to get window seats in speciality restaurants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put it down as one of those benefits that doesn’t really exist as soon as I saw about it, to be honest. A bit like the concierge.

Luckily for us, these aren’t things that we would particularly use anyway (we make our reservations in advance), but I wouldn’t waste too much time on it anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A bit like the concierge.

OP did you try and work out a solution through the Concierge or other person i.e Hotel Director ?

Loyalty and its benefits should not be taken lightly - - -

In general one needs 4 cruises to top out in Bronze

8 cruises to top out in Silver

11 cruises to top out in Gold

25 cruises to top out in Platinum

Any more after that is the Platinum +

And 100 cruises to get to Ambassador

*Cruise lengths can be variable but based on a average -7- day cruise.

If waiting till the last minute - a walk-up at the specialty restaurant NCL

may not be in position to honor the Plat + Perk.

But if making the reservation when you first board the ship NCL should

be able to work out something for a party of two - larger parties will

always be a problem especially for Cagney's and the Teppanaki.

Priority "kicks - in" when you make advanced reservations - it can not

be used to bump prior reservations.

Something else to consider is the Plat + Perk is complimentary and

perhaps NCL caters to the Paid guest - not exactly Priority treatment

but cash trumps free.

Suggestion next cruise book perks early and need help then call on

the Concierge or Hotel Director (attend a Meet & Greet and get familiar

with these people to know who to go to for help).

In response to don't-use-real-name's comment... we did try the concierge and we were disappointed. I always book my dinners online as soon as the booking becomes available. Once we were on board, I discovered that the Latitudes party conflicted with my dinner reservation so after being told that I could not change my reservation at the reservation desk, I thought I would try out what I thought was a Platinum Plus benefit. I went to Shawn, on the Getaway, at the CruiseNext desk to ask about this benefit. He then contacted the concierge and asked to have our dining time changed. Shawn asked what time we wanted and he verbally confirmed, with the concierge still on the phone, that the time would be changed. I was grateful. But as it turned out, the concierge did not change the time to what was confirmed on the phone call, but did change it to a later time without telling us so we ended up having to miss/cancel the reservation all together.

If they can't provide the advertised benefit, they should not offer it.

In response to don't-use-real-name's comment... we did try the concierge and we were disappointed. I always book my dinners online as soon as the booking becomes available. Once we were on board, I discovered that the Latitudes party conflicted with my dinner reservation so after being told that I could not change my reservation at the reservation desk, I thought I would try out what I thought was a Platinum Plus benefit. I went to Shawn, on the Getaway, at the CruiseNext desk to ask about this benefit. He then contacted the concierge and asked to have our dining time changed. Shawn asked what time we wanted and he verbally confirmed, with the concierge still on the phone, that the time would be changed. I was grateful. But as it turned out, the concierge did not change the time to what was confirmed on the phone call, but did change it to a later time without telling us so we ended up having to miss/cancel the reservation all together.

If they can't provide the advertised benefit, they should not offer it.

The one time we actually sailed as Haven guests the concierge was not able to book us on an excursion we tried to get upon boarding. (We didn’t want to book in advance because we had so much nonrefundable OBC and didn’t think it would be a problem) Well, she couldn’t do it, no space available. In your instance they probably could not get the time you wanted so booked next available....but then dropped the ball by not notifying you. It happens on land also. I had made a reservation by email, WITH a confirmation, to a restaurant for Father’s Day. Something told me to call the restaurant on Saturday just to make sure....yep, they had no record of it...

I'm confused. I've tried to make use of this benefit on my last two cruises, but was not able to use it. They say it's only "when available." But, if any reservation time is available, it will be given to anyone who requests it, so when does the "priority" part EVER have a chance to kick in? I'm interested in your opinions, or experience with this. Thanks.

Don’t know when it applies. We showed up at The Local (O’Shehams) a couple of weeks ago. The wait for a table was 45 minutes. We asked if we could get “priority restaurant seating” as we are Platinum plus members. We were told to come back in 45 minutes. :(

A bit like the concierge.

OP did you try and work out a solution through the Concierge or other person i.e Hotel Director ?

Loyalty and its benefits should not be taken lightly - - -

In general one needs 4 cruises to top out in Bronze

8 cruises to top out in Silver

11 cruises to top out in Gold

25 cruises to top out in Platinum

Any more after that is the Platinum +

And 100 cruises to get to Ambassador

*Cruise lengths can be variable but based on a average -7- day cruise.

If waiting till the last minute - a walk-up at the specialty restaurant NCL

may not be in position to honor the Plat + Perk.

But if making the reservation when you first board the ship NCL should

be able to work out something for a party of two - larger parties will

always be a problem especially for Cagney's and the Teppanaki.

Priority "kicks - in" when you make advanced reservations - it can not

be used to bump prior reservations.

Something else to consider is the Plat + Perk is complimentary and

perhaps NCL caters to the Paid guest - not exactly Priority treatment

but cash trumps free.

Suggestion next cruise book perks early and need help then call on

the Concierge or Hotel Director (attend a Meet & Greet and get familiar

with these people to know who to go to for help).

What does "top out in" mean? We have sailed nine time so far and we are all platinum. we have been since after our 8th cruise.

6 - 7-day crusies

1 - 9- day cruise

1 - 10-day cruise

What does "top out in" mean? We have sailed nine time so far and we are all platinum. we have been since after our 8th cruise.

6 - 7-day crusies

1 - 9- day cruise

1 - 10-day cruise

With your numbers 6x7=42 + 9 + 10 = 61 is short of Platinum thus you must have had boosters - - -

Boosters are being in suite (add 1 point per night)

Latitudes Rewards Cruise (add 1 point per night)

and the former (discontinued) 9 month advanced booking (add 1 point per night)

add these to the base 1 point per night and it would be easy to get to the Platinum quickly.

OK what I mean by "top out"

Bronze level is 1-29 points - 4 cruises at 7 nights = 28 - the next cruise puts you into Silver

Silver level is 30-54 points - 4 more cruises puts you into Gold

Gold level is 55-79 points - 4 more cruises puts you into Platinum

Platinum level is 80-174 - 13 more cruises puts you into Platinum +

4 + 4 + 4 + 13 = 25

25 7 night cruises puts you into the Platinum + level

The Ambassador level is 700 points - 100 7 night cruises does it.

This can be accelerated by Suites and Latitudes Rewards cruises.

Sorry did not explain this better.

What? we have been using it for years and never had a problem. Booking on line has been but when we arrive at the ship one of the first things we do is book our restaurants, maybe have not been able to get the exact time we want, but always within a 1/2 or so and never had a problems

Don’t know when it applies. We showed up at The Local (O’Shehams) a couple of weeks ago. The wait for a table was 45 minutes. We asked if we could get “priority restaurant seating” as we are Platinum plus members. We were told to come back in 45 minutes. :(

I don't think the term "priority" has anything to do with restaurants like O'Sheehans, After 20 plus NCL cruises I still would not have even thought of that.

With your numbers 6x7=42 + 9 + 10 = 61 is short of Platinum thus you must have had boosters - - -

Boosters are being in suite (add 1 point per night)

Latitudes Rewards Cruise (add 1 point per night)

and the former (discontinued) 9 month advanced booking (add 1 point per night)

add these to the base 1 point per night and it would be easy to get to the Platinum quickly.

OK what I mean by "top out"

Bronze level is 1-29 points - 4 cruises at 7 nights = 28 - the next cruise puts you into Silver

Silver level is 30-54 points - 4 more cruises puts you into Gold

Gold level is 55-79 points - 4 more cruises puts you into Platinum

Platinum level is 80-174 - 13 more cruises puts you into Platinum +

4 + 4 + 4 + 13 = 25

25 7 night cruises puts you into the Platinum + level

The Ambassador level is 700 points - 100 7 night cruises does it.

This can be accelerated by Suites and Latitudes Rewards cruises.

Sorry did not explain this better.

Your explanation is still flawed!

Oh so you mean you attain a level after a certain number of cruises. That makes more sense (but is flawed) . I am fully aware of the 'boosts' and they are very easy to find and use. Thanks for the math lesson but it was totally unnecessary. Your post made invalid assumption that everyone gets only the bare minimum points on any cruise. It is very easy to still get higher levels on significantly fewer cruises that your flawed math.

• 5 months later...

If you use the latitude previous customer reward strategically you can be platinum in as little as 5 cruises.

The trip on the Jewel from Tokoyo to Seattle Via Russia/Alaska(20 days) was all double points due to latitude rewards. Had I planned a bit better I could have made platinum that cruise, but missed the opportunity to buy a suite at a decent price. While yes I was planning my trips strategically, I have to say I enjoyed EVERY ONE of them. Will be taking my 5th cruise and hitting platinum out of NYC this April on a 10 day cruise that counts for 20 by end of January 2020 will be at 110. 

My DH and I both have Platinum Plus status, and we have actually experienced on several occasions that the only place where this Latitude "perk" is of any use, is if there is a waiting line to get in to the main dining room or the Asian restaurant at "peek hours". When showing our ship cards we normally get a much shorter waiting time than those who don't have that Latitude Platinum Plus status. On our last cruise however, we went to the Asian restaurant one evening without any reservation and the restaurant hostess told us there was a 45 min. wait to get a table. I told her (in a nice and polite manner) that because of our Platinum Plus status we normally get priority seating when restaurants are full (kind of "jumping the queue" actually). The hostess said she had never heard about the priority seating and called her supervisor to ask if what I was saying was correct. I was standing next to her when she made that call, and she was then told by her supervisor that it was correct the way I had explained it to her. Passengers with Platinum Plus or Ambassador status would get "first in line" if the restaurant was full. 

In the specialty restaurants however there is understandably no way of practising the Latitude Platinum Plus or Ambassador priority IF the restaurant is fully booked already. But I have experienced several times that if I want to pre-book a table through the restaurant hostess on board for another day and been told that "Sorry, not possible, everything is booked" and then go through the concierge (not being in a suite) and ask him/her to please see if they can help with a reservation and then shortly after getting a notification from the concierge saying that he/she has booked a table for us. 

Edited by TrumpyNor

• 8 months later...

This is an old, but very informative thread. 

I am about to reach Platinum Plus status with my next cruise on NCL in October. This cruise will be my 10th with NCL. Thanks to accelerators in my early days with NCL (just 6 years ago), I reached this reward level rather quickly. 

I too have been trying to get someone at NCL to put a definition to “priority entertainment and restaurant seating.”

I believe I have the entertainment part figured out. If you show up at showtime and show your Plat+ card, if there are seats available...they will seat you in the special Haven section (I’ve sat there in the past). Mind you, “based on availability.” If there are no seats...you’re out of luck. 

The “priority restaurant” one is most intriguing. I honestly believe that it gives you front-of-the-line status at every non-upcharge restaurant. The issue is whether or not the hostess is aware of this benefit. If they are, you’re in. If not, you’re at the end of the line with everyone else. 

NCL should be ashamed of themselves for adding this perk to their most loyal travelers without clarifying exactly what the benefit is. I have written letters to the upper management about this and have yet to receive a response. 

But it I can tell you this from recent personal experience...I’ve shown my regular Platinum card at the Grand Pacific restaurant on the Gem when there was quite a line. And I was awarded front-of-the-access. Like I said, all depends on the hostess. 

We've also found that the dining rooms are good about recognizing Platinum Plus status.  We are usually given a window table and once the Hostess apologized that she didn't have a window table available.  Not sure if it puts us to the front of the line or just possibly gives us a better table.  The benefit is worded in a way that makes it very vague.

I just wish the pay restaurants would give the same courtesy.  We have this issue on almost every trip.  We are Platinum Plus, we stay in suites and I make the dining reservation as soon as they become available online.  And yet, we'll go into the restaurant and be given the worst table in the place.  Our last trip we were on the Dawn and staying in an Owner's Suite and they put us at the table not even in the restaurant, but out by the hostess with a view to the kitchen.  Normally we just let it go, but this time we were annoyed and finally said something when the Manager stopped by.  They did end up moving us, but it just seems that when you're in that situation and make the reservation so far in advance that a decent table should be reserved for you.

On my last few cruises, as a Platinum Plus sailing solo, it seemed I was treated very well in MDRs.  Though nothing was ever said by me or hostess, I was always given a great table when available and twice it seemed I was seated faster than others  when there was a line (not given a beeper, but rather asked to step aside and seated quickly).  

@goldmom...I never even considered better seating as a perk. I always considered “priority” front-of-the-line. Like “priority boarding.”

But I honestly think that you’re expecting too much from them if you’re expecting premium reserved seating at the upscale restaurants. 

When you consider how many people they deal with on a daily basis, and how many people just don’t show up for reservations without cancelling, it would probably be asking a little too much of them. 

I would, however, say something to the hostess before sitting down if you consider a table your shown to, to be in a bad location. This has happened to me in the past, and I will just inform the hostess that I’d prefer to wait a little longer for a better situated table. In every case so far, we were instantly seated at a better table. 

• Like 2

@jaja...I would agree with your assessment 100%. 

The uncomfortable part, at least at the Grand Pacific on the Gem, is that you have to walk past the line of already upset people to get to the hostess. 

And the reason the people are upset is because they make reservations online for the Grand Pacific, only to find out that it’s really a first-come first-served restaurant. A situation that would be easily remedied by stating online that reservations for that restaurant are not available. I can honestly say that the only place I’ve ever seen people genuinely angry is on the Grand Pacific line on a busy night.  

33 minutes ago, waltero61 said:

@jaja...I would agree with your assessment 100%. 

The uncomfortable part, at least at the Grand Pacific on the Gem, is that you have to walk past the line of already upset people to get to the hostess. 

And the reason the people are upset is because they make reservations online for the Grand Pacific, only to find out that it’s really a first-come first-served restaurant. A situation that would be easily remedied by stating online that reservations for that restaurant are not available. I can honestly say that the only place I’ve ever seen people genuinely angry is on the Grand Pacific line on a busy night.  

I hear ya !!  But the times I was asked to step aside I actually did not walk past the line..but rather the hostess at top..kind of sent me down..almost like  I had people already waiting for me in DR.  I do not know why this happened..but after a few days, I guess they knew me very well...as I ate breakfast, lunch and dinner there !

AND I totally agree they MUST stop saying you can book online for the MDR. It causes so much confusion and problems onboard!

@jaja...That’s if you can get to the hostess at the top of the stairs, if she’s even there. 

Last trip, the line was up the stairs, past the elevators and into the adjacent hallways in both directions. And to make matters even worse, you have the people coming off the elevators exactly where the lines are. Talk about a roadblock. LOL

I’ve written 2 letters to high level NCL brass about this. So far, no response. 

@jaja...We too eat many meals there. Most breakfasts, and all of our non-upscale dinners. 

We’re kind of on a first-name basis with many of the ships crew, especially the restaurant folks, so that doesn’t hurt either. 

At the Grand Pacific, the Asst. Maitre’D is “almost” a close friend. Same for the Asst. Maitre’D at O’Sheehan’s. Luckily for us, they will both still be on the ship in those same positions on our next sail in October. Good to have contacts on a 14-day cruise with 6 full sea days. 

5 hours ago, goldmom said:

We've also found that the dining rooms are good about recognizing Platinum Plus status.  We are usually given a window table and once the Hostess apologized that she didn't have a window table available.  Not sure if it puts us to the front of the line or just possibly gives us a better table.  The benefit is worded in a way that makes it very vague.

I just wish the pay restaurants would give the same courtesy.  We have this issue on almost every trip.  We are Platinum Plus, we stay in suites and I make the dining reservation as soon as they become available online.  And yet, we'll go into the restaurant and be given the worst table in the place.  Our last trip we were on the Dawn and staying in an Owner's Suite and they put us at the table not even in the restaurant, but out by the hostess with a view to the kitchen.  Normally we just let it go, but this time we were annoyed and finally said something when the Manager stopped by.  They did end up moving us, but it just seems that when you're in that situation and make the reservation so far in advance that a decent table should be reserved for you.

We are PP as well.  Stay in best suites on ship.  I can't say we've ever gotten special seating or attention.  We've actually had some lousy seats as well right by kitchen door on BA.  Luckily our server was the wonderful Romana from Romania who I hear is now a butler.  We consistently get the limits on menu, not meaning entree, with dining packages.  Yep, NCL wants to try to chisel another $.70 cents out of us PP and suite cruisers.   Then for your Lats meals they put limits on that. No more.

Edited by dexddd

@dexddd...I don’t understand the $.70 comment. 

And if I'm not mistaken, the limits on the Latitudes meals are the same as the limits on a meal plan meal. I’m actually OK with the free Lats meals. You could easily have a $120-$140 meal at Cagney’s with that one.