Trujillo/Salaverry Peru Port information

mcmarya

Before leaving on a recent Inca Empire cruise, I looked for information about this port and found virtually nothing. So, in case anyone else needs info, here's my 2 cents worth.

Holland America offered a shuttle from Salaverry to the center of Trujillo for $20/person which was recommended because, according to the daily program, there would be limited taxi service in this port. That seemed a bit pricey considering the distance, so several of us independent minded travelers decided to take our chances and try our luck upon arrival. We were immediately approached by drivers of vans and my husband negotiated a $15/person price for transportation to Chan Chan, the Plaza de Armas downtown, and the Huacas de la Luna and del Sol if we could fill the van. We actually overfilled it with an extra person squeezed in. Admissions to the sites was extra--I think it was about $5 at Chan Chan, $2 at the Huacas de Moche Museum and $5 at the Huacas del Sol y La Luna (3 soles and 10 soles so cheaper for those who had soles). The guide was $2 at Chan Chan and tips at the other site. We had about 30 minutes downtown between the sites which was enough to take a quick look. The power was out since it was Sunday, apparently a conservation measure, so most things were closed. The driver was safe, the stops interesting, and the tour was well worth the less than $35/pp including all the admissions and tips.

Wow! Thank you very much! We are leaving on Silversea in January and is the same story! Now we know what to do!

Did you go to other ports in Peru and chile?m what else can you tell us.

My DH really wants to go fishing. Any ideas about that?

Also, did you tip at the end of your journey or just pay the fee!

I can't thank you enough for posting!

Sorry, our only South American ports were Salaverry/Trujillo and Lima, where we ended our cruise and did a land tour. We did tip at the end, I think only a couple of $'s since there were 15 of us. We tipped the tour guides at the sites as well.

In terms of fishing, we did notice a lot of small boats coming and going in the port area but not sure what arrangements were available for that.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It is a tad difficult to find info for some ports of call. I found something on Salaverry/Trujillo on youtube. If you do a search for Jamie Logan and Trujillo/Salaverry, you will find cruise director Jamie's tour of Trujillo and some ruins. I believe he also has quite a few other videos of shore excursions.

• 11 months later...

The van we took was just someone who showed up at the port. The cruise line led us to believe there would not be vans offering tours so we were surprised to be able to line up something. So, unfortunately, I don't have any contact information. There are probably tour operators you can arrange with in advance.

• 2 months later...