Becoming Diamond while on cruise

Frisco, Texas
330 Posts
Joined Feb 2003
has anyone ever “graduated” to Diamond while on a 7 day cruise? Will we be entitled to any of the Diamond benefits while on the cruise?
TIA
Kansas City
329 Posts
Joined Jul 2005
You are not considered Diamond, or any other level until the cruise is completed.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Illustrious Grand Poobah

Symphony 2018
Harmony 2016
Allure 2011, 2017, 2018
Oasis 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
Celebrity Silhouette 2014
Radiance 3 cruises
Freedom, Liberty Navigator etc.
Jewel Rowdy Reunion 2006
Radiance Rowdy Reunion 2003
mucho others,too much wine, no memory

Frisco, Texas
330 Posts
Joined Feb 2003
Darn. When I talked to customer service about a request, I was told I would receive the benefits. I asked here because people on this Board usually KNOW what they are talking about vs some rep sitting at a desk somewhere.
Utah
9,612 Posts
Joined Feb 2001
Originally posted by piper
Darn. When I talked to customer service about a request, I was told I would receive the benefits. I asked here because people on this Board usually KNOW what they are talking about vs some rep sitting at a desk somewhere.
Why am I not surprise! Look at it this way. Now you've got something else to look forward to on your next cruise.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
March 2019 Cruise:

March 2019 Cruise:

September 2019 Cruise:

March 2020 Cruise:

March 2020 Cruise:
Florida
907 Posts
Joined Dec 2013
There are a lot of different ways it is treated ship to ship, but the correct answer is that you do not receive your “Diamond“ sea pass card until your next cruise. Once that happens then you receive the benefits.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bob

Pinnacle Club
Seattle, WA
12,309 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
We turned Diamond about 5 days into a 15 day cruise. On board I asked about shifting and no luck.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bill
Diamond Plus
Photo Reviews: Ovation (Singapore-Malaysia-Thailand)-April 9, 2018, Ovation (Singapore-Vietnam-Hong Kong-Korea-China)-April 14, 2018 Radiance (Hawaii)-5/17 Rhapsody (Caribbean) - 1/17 Radiance (Alaska) - 8/16 Radiance (Hawaii) - 04/16 Jewel (B2B West Coast) - Sept 26 - Oct 10, 2015
Jewel (West Coast) - 05/15 Oasis (birthday cruise)- 01/15 Rhapsody (Hawaii)-09/14 Legend (Panama Canal) - 11/13 Allure 05/13 Jewel 03/13 - 1st Caribbean Radiance 09/12 - Hawaii, Splendour 05/12 - E. Mediterranean Mariner 11/10 - Mexican Riviera Voyager 05/10 - W. Mediterranean (no pictures)
Upcoming- Explorer (Vancouver Is.)-September 17, 2018,Vision (Panama Canal)-November 29, 2018, Symphony (E. Caribbean) -January 19, 2019,Ovation (Hawaii)-September 20, 2019
Sussex, England
7,331 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
Imagine the chaos if people are changing status on various days during the cruise.....suddenly entitled to a plate of cookies... suddenly able to have 3 drinks.... they would never be able to keep on top of it. That is why the points are awarded after you complete the cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Celebrity Constellation 04/20 Suez Canal
RCI Jewel of the Seas 01/20 Dubai
RCI Anthem of the Seas 09/19 Canada and New England
RCI Jewel of the Seas 06/19 West Med
Azamara Pursuit 04/19 Lisbon to Barcelona
RCI Rhapsody of the Seas 12/18 West Med
RCI Navigator of the Seas 10/18 Canaries

RCI x 33
Celebrity x 10.
Azamara x 5.
NCL x 3.

MSC x 3.
Uniworld River Cruise x 1.
Windstar x 1.
Star Cruises x 1.
Cunard x 1.
Nord Deutsche Lloyd Hessenstein x 1.
P&O x 1.
Grimaldi Siosa x 1
Utah
9,612 Posts
Joined Feb 2001
Originally posted by Grandma Dazzles
Your level does not change until you have completed your cruise. Usually takes about 7 days for points to post to your account.
2015 we did a B2B cruise on the Adventure. Day two of the first leg we had the required points for Diamond. I knew we wouldn't be recognized as Diamond on the first leg of the cruise. So the day we unofficially turned Diamond I went and spoke with the LA about possibly being able to receive the Diamond benefits on the second leg of the cruise. The LA was able to make it happen while we were on the ship for the second leg of the cruise with full Diamond perks. A very appreciated surprise.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
March 2019 Cruise:

March 2019 Cruise:

September 2019 Cruise:

March 2020 Cruise:

March 2020 Cruise:
Canada
19,596 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
We asked about this very same thing when we became Diamond some years ago. We honestly didn't know the answer so we wanted to ask the LA about it. The question wasn't even out of my husband's mouth when she started shaking her head "No.". She wasn't even kind about it.

Understood... but still....
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
~Karen (and sometimes Perry)

*I have fallen ill, so sadly, no more cruises.*

Already Cruised - listed not to brag, but so you can ask me a question if you'd like:
*RCI - B2B Arctic Circle/Baltic, May 2017 - nope - cancelled AGAIN. Cancer sucks.
*RCI - Serenade Jan 2016 S. Caribbean - nope - cancelled AGAIN.
RCI - Serenade Nov 2015 S. Caribbean
Celebrity - Solstice May 2015 Alaska
RCI - Explorer Nov 2014 Repo/S. Caribbean - 40 ft. rogue wave, lifeboat damage

Princess - Grand Princess May 2014 Pacific Coastal
RCI - Serenade March 2014 - B2B W. Caribbean
RCI - Serenade Feb 2014 - Bahamas - yes, a celebration cruise indeed!
*RCI Scandinavia 2013 - nope - cancelled due to my illness. ~ Maybe next year, God willing.
RCI - Jewel Nov 2012 - B2B Mexico
RCI - Jewel Repo Oct/Nov 2012 Boston to Tampa - Hurricane Sandy
RCI - Brilliance June/July 2011 Mediterranean
RCI - Mariner Oct/Nov 2010 Mexico
RCI - Oasis May 2010 E. Caribbean - 4 adults in one cabin; we did it!
Princess - Emerald Princess April 2009 E. Caribbean
RCI - Explorer Sept/Oct 2008 - 25th anniversary! Canada - Hurricane Kyle
RCI - Liberty August 2007 E.Caribbean - Hurricane Dean - 4 adults in one cabin; we did it!
RCI - Explorer April 2006 E.Caribbean
RCI - Vision Aug 2003 Alaska
HAL - Rotterdam - last leg of her final world cruise ever April 1995 Pacific Northwest
RCI - Viking Serenade Aug 1993 Mexico
Seattle, WA
12,309 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Originally posted by Langley Cruisers
We asked about this very same thing when we became Diamond some years ago. We honestly didn't know the answer so we wanted to ask the LA about it. The question wasn't even out of my husband's mouth when she started shaking her head "No.". She wasn't even kind about it.

Understood... but still....
That's similar to the response we got.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bill
Diamond Plus
Photo Reviews: Ovation (Singapore-Malaysia-Thailand)-April 9, 2018, Ovation (Singapore-Vietnam-Hong Kong-Korea-China)-April 14, 2018 Radiance (Hawaii)-5/17 Rhapsody (Caribbean) - 1/17 Radiance (Alaska) - 8/16 Radiance (Hawaii) - 04/16 Jewel (B2B West Coast) - Sept 26 - Oct 10, 2015
Jewel (West Coast) - 05/15 Oasis (birthday cruise)- 01/15 Rhapsody (Hawaii)-09/14 Legend (Panama Canal) - 11/13 Allure 05/13 Jewel 03/13 - 1st Caribbean Radiance 09/12 - Hawaii, Splendour 05/12 - E. Mediterranean Mariner 11/10 - Mexican Riviera Voyager 05/10 - W. Mediterranean (no pictures)
Upcoming- Explorer (Vancouver Is.)-September 17, 2018,Vision (Panama Canal)-November 29, 2018, Symphony (E. Caribbean) -January 19, 2019,Ovation (Hawaii)-September 20, 2019
Vancouver B.C.
4,945 Posts
Joined Jan 2006
Originally posted by little britain
Imagine the chaos if people are changing status on various days during the cruise.....suddenly entitled to a plate of cookies... suddenly able to have 3 drinks.... they would never be able to keep on top of it. That is why the points are awarded after you complete the cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
When you go up a loyalty level on Carnival you are at that level from the beginning of the cruise. .
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Kentucky
1,361 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
So glad this question was asked. We are getting ready to go on our first B2B cruise in a couple of weeks. On the second leg of the cruise, we will be turning Diamond, a couple of days into the cruise. We called RC and asked a Customer Service Representative, and they told us that we "could" use our "Diamond" status. But reading this thread, it does seem kind of hard to get the perks right in the middle. So, I guess, there is a reason to book another cruise after we get off the ship and get our "Diamond" status.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Stan (Wildcat 99 and Dawn (Sunshine-lady)

Past Cruises:
Carnival Victory - 3/03
Carnival Fascination - 1/04
Voyager of the Sea - 2/04
Majesty of the Sea - 1/05
Voyager of the Sea - 3/05
Radiance of the Sea - 1/06
Radiance of the Sea - 4/07
Liberty of the Sea - 5/09
Grandeur of the Sea - 5/10
Carnival Liberty - 3/11
Majesty of the Sea - 5/12
Freedom of the Sea - 5/13
Independence of the Sea - 3/15
Navigator of the Seas B2B -3/18
Chicago
2,782 Posts
Joined Jun 2012
Originally posted by Sunshine-lady
So glad this question was asked. We are getting ready to go on our first B2B cruise in a couple of weeks. On the second leg of the cruise, we will be turning Diamond, a couple of days into the cruise. We called RC and asked a Customer Service Representative, and they told us that we "could" use our "Diamond" status. But reading this thread, it does seem kind of hard to get the perks right in the middle. So, I guess, there is a reason to book another cruise after we get off the ship and get our "Diamond" status.
I suggest you go to the Loyalty Ambassador on the ship with a smile on your face. We changed into another "status" during 2nd leg of B to B and the LA took very good care of us. It never hurts to ask...
dover de 19901
678 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
we turn Diamond on the 1st day of our Easter cruise on Allure. i know RCL has regs but it kinda does suck. They already have my money.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Woody

Apopka, Florida
1,106 Posts
Joined Mar 2015
Originally posted by little britain
Imagine the chaos if people are changing status on various days during the cruise.....suddenly entitled to a plate of cookies... suddenly able to have 3 drinks.... they would never be able to keep on top of it. That is why the points are awarded after you complete the cruise
First day of the first cruise for my wife as a Diamond and we assumed I would be allowed into the Diamond Lounge. The Concierge very nicely pointed us in the direction of the LA who linked our accounts and issued me a new Sea Pass card with Diamond level printed on it.

Issue was that none of the Diamond perks could get correctly loaded onto my Sea Pass card (we tried to correct this a couple of times). The only thing that worked on the card was gaining entry to the Diamond Lounge. Fortunately the bartender near the theater on Brilliance was very understanding and did give me my free diamond drinks.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bill & Nancy- ______
Upcoming cruises: 10-20-18 Independence OTS, 10-28-18 Symphony OTS- TA, Mariner OTS 11-9-18

2018: Feb- Brilliance of the Seas, April- NCL Sky, May- Freedom of the Seas, Aug- Mariner of the Seas
2017: Jan- Brilliance of the Seas, Feb- Harmony of the Seas, March- Carnival Vista, Sept- Majesty of the Seas, Oct- Oasis of the Seas, Nov- Freedom of the Seas, Nov- Brilliance of the Seas
2016: Nov- Carnival Valor, Sept- Majesty of the Seas, May- Enchantment of the Seas, April- Majesty of the Seas, Feb- Oasis of the Seas, Jan- Nieuw Amsterdam
2015: Nov- NCL Sky, Oct- Adventure of the Seas, Sep- Grand Celebration, May- Carnival Sensation, March- NCL Epic, Feb- Enchantment of the Seas
2014: May- Enchantment of the Seas, March- Eurodam
2009: May- Carnival Sensation
2007: May- Carnival Imagination
2005: March- Enchantment of the Seas
2004: March- Carnival Paradise, Feb- Grand Princess
2003: Oct- Disney Wonder, May- Sovereign of the Seas, March- Carnival Triumph
2002: July- Carnival Sensation
2001: May- Carnival Paradise, Feb- Carnival Fantasy

Flushing, NY
7,164 Posts
Joined Oct 2004
On my last cruise on the Anthem in December, I had reached Emerald level mid cruise. I asked the Loyalty Ambassador if I could at least get the Emerald Pin for my collection. She gave it to me....
I will hit Diamond level on the last day of my next cruise departing this Sunday. So I will try again to at least get the pin....I don't expect any other benefit until my next cruise, but would like to get the Diamond pin for my collection....while they still have such.
NCL did away with their loyalty pins, mainly due to lack of interest, so who knows if RCI may do the same some day?
Otherwise, I will be patient, and get my full Diamond benefits on the next booking...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
getting there is half the fun!
coming back is the other half!
Apopka, Florida
1,106 Posts
Joined Mar 2015
Originally posted by bob brown
On my last cruise on the Anthem in December, I had reached Emerald level mid cruise. I asked the Loyalty Ambassador if I could at least get the Emerald Pin for my collection. She gave it to me....
I will hit Diamond level on the last day of my next cruise departing this Sunday. So I will try again to at least get the pin....I don't expect any other benefit until my next cruise, but would like to get the Diamond pin for my collection....while they still have such.
NCL did away with their loyalty pins, mainly due to lack of interest, so who knows if RCI may do the same some day?
Otherwise, I will be patient, and get my full Diamond benefits on the next booking...
My pin was left in our room the next day after they linked my account to my wifes.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bill & Nancy- ______
Upcoming cruises: 10-20-18 Independence OTS, 10-28-18 Symphony OTS- TA, Mariner OTS 11-9-18

2018: Feb- Brilliance of the Seas, April- NCL Sky, May- Freedom of the Seas, Aug- Mariner of the Seas
2017: Jan- Brilliance of the Seas, Feb- Harmony of the Seas, March- Carnival Vista, Sept- Majesty of the Seas, Oct- Oasis of the Seas, Nov- Freedom of the Seas, Nov- Brilliance of the Seas
2016: Nov- Carnival Valor, Sept- Majesty of the Seas, May- Enchantment of the Seas, April- Majesty of the Seas, Feb- Oasis of the Seas, Jan- Nieuw Amsterdam
2015: Nov- NCL Sky, Oct- Adventure of the Seas, Sep- Grand Celebration, May- Carnival Sensation, March- NCL Epic, Feb- Enchantment of the Seas
2014: May- Enchantment of the Seas, March- Eurodam
2009: May- Carnival Sensation
2007: May- Carnival Imagination
2005: March- Enchantment of the Seas
2004: March- Carnival Paradise, Feb- Grand Princess
2003: Oct- Disney Wonder, May- Sovereign of the Seas, March- Carnival Triumph
2002: July- Carnival Sensation
2001: May- Carnival Paradise, Feb- Carnival Fantasy

Pepsicola FL
11,213 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
Originally posted by piper
has anyone ever “graduated” to Diamond while on a 7 day cruise? Will we be entitled to any of the Diamond benefits while on the cruise?
TIA

the only status you can attain while on board is Pinnacle. Points are not awarded until after the cruise ends in all other cases.