Babies/Toddlers pool question

Brantford, ON
2,068 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
Originally posted by Host Clarea
I thought Royal put lifeguards on all their ships now.
There was a lifeguard at the baby pool on Anthem in November. Must be a somewhat boring job. I think there was a separate one for the kids area.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
11-11-2017 "Baby's First Cruise" Bahamas - Anthem of the Seas
8-19-2016 Family Alaska cruise - Explorer of the Seas
12-24-2015 "Christmas at sea" - Independence of the Seas
8-21-2015 "The Eastern Caribbean that wasn't" - Oasis of the Seas
8-25-2014 Bahamas - Enchantment of the Seas
5-4-2014 Mexico - Navigator of the Seas
12-26-2013 Cozumel - Brilliance of the Seas
8-7-2013 British Isles - Vision of the Seas
3-10-2013 Caribbean (Jamaica, Cayman Islands, Labadee) - Independence of the Seas
8-16-2012 Bermuda/Caribbean - Explorer of the Seas
1-2-2012 Bahamas - Monarch of the Seas
8-19-2011 Alaska - Rhapsody of the Seas
3-10-2008 Bahamas - Sovereign of the Seas
10-23-2006 Eastern Caribbean - Enchantment of the Seas
Maine or at sea
13,926 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
Originally posted by TBone2K
There was a lifeguard at the baby pool on Anthem in November. Must be a somewhat boring job. I think there was a separate one for the kids area.
Yes, there is supposed to be a crew member assigned strictly to the swim diaper splash area.
Clark, NJ, USA
8,770 Posts
Joined May 2004
Originally posted by panzafit
Yikes! Ok, I will have to break the bad news to her then. We are going for my friends 40th birthday celebration (who is also the sister of the person coming with the 1 year old) so she "has" to come on the cruise to celebrate her sisters birthday and wasn't going to leave the 1 year old for a week with anyone, but also just wanted to hang out on the ship instead of going into port. Hopefully Royal can figure out a way to make the ships a little more "friendly family" in respects to babies in the future. At least her baby is only 1 so maybe can just sit on the side with her and dip toes in to keep her satisfied. I couldn't image having a 2/3 year old and having to tell them they can't go in the pool. Thanks everyone for the responses!!
No, she cannot sit on the side and “dip her toes in”. She can bring a small tub (such as the Duck sold at Target) and put it next to her chair. Royal is very family friendly. Other than Disney it is the only line that has splash zones for the diapered set but only has them on the newer ships. If a toddler in diapers doesn’t see the pool, how can it be upset that it can’t go in?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Geri
277 Posts
Joined Dec 2015
RCCL is a family friendly cruise line. You just need to do your homework and pick the one that works for you. In any case, as a mom of 4 having a one year old see the pool and dip toes in would be like giving someone a piece of chocolate cake but not letting them put it in their mouth lol. Don't do this : )

Yikes! Ok, I will have to break the bad news to her then. We are going for my friends 40th birthday celebration (who is also the sister of the person coming with the 1 year old) so she "has" to come on the cruise to celebrate her sisters birthday and wasn't going to leave the 1 year old for a week with anyone, but also just wanted to hang out on the ship instead of going into port. Hopefully Royal can figure out a way to make the ships a little more "friendly family" in respects to babies in the future. At least her baby is only 1 so maybe can just sit on the side with her and dip toes in to keep her satisfied. I couldn't image having a 2/3 year old and having to tell them they can't go in the pool. Thanks everyone for the responses!!
charleston, sc
734 Posts
Joined Jun 2007
Currently potty training my 2 year old for our June cruise on Harmony. His brother and sister will be 6 and 5 and he tries so hard to keep up! He made me laugh so hard this week. I told him we had to go in the potty so we can swim on the cruise. And his response was “I not swimmin’ in the potty”. Haha Went right over his head.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
past cruises: (and vacations)
Big Red Boat 94'
Carnival Fantasy 96'
Carnival Sensation 99'
RC Voyager of the Seas 02'
Carnival Fascination 03'
Mariner of the Seas JULY 22, 2007! (thanks for the memories)
Freedom of the seas JUNE 1, 2008-Eastern Caribbean
Monarch of the Seas May 18,2009.
Sandals Grande St. lucia- June 14,2010-HONEYMOON!
Allure of the Seas April 15, 2012- Eastern Caribbean (click link for review)
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...ght=obsessedsc
Tranquility Bay Beach House Resort, Florida Keys (Mk's first vacation at 2.5 month old)
Freedom of the Seas : May 18, 2014

Disney World November- 5, 2014
Beaches Turks and Caicos- June 3-9, 2015
Disney World- March 10, 2016
Disney Dream : June 5-10, 2016

up next:Harmony of the Seas June 16, 2018

Fort Lauderdale, FL
3,706 Posts
Joined Jul 2016
Originally posted by obsessedsc
Currently potty training my 2 year old for our June cruise on Harmony. His brother and sister will be 6 and 5 and he tries so hard to keep up! He made me laugh so hard this week. I told him we had to go in the potty so we can swim on the cruise. And his response was “I not swimmin’ in the potty”. Haha Went right over his head.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Don't stress it. As you can see in my pictures, there is a fantastic areas for children still in swim diapers on Harmony. Probably the best play area for non-potty trained children at sea.
118 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Originally posted by gerif
No, she cannot sit on the side and “dip her toes in”. She can bring a small tub (such as the Duck sold at Target) and put it next to her chair. Royal is very family friendly. Other than Disney it is the only line that has splash zones for the diapered set but only has them on the newer ships. If a toddler in diapers doesn’t see the pool, how can it be upset that it can’t go in?
Why can't she sit on the side of the pool with her? They won't be in the pool. Also, I've already been told she can't bring a small tub to the deck as it's a safety hazard.
Maine or at sea
13,926 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
Why can't she sit on the side of the pool with her? They won't be in the pool. Also, I've already been told she can't bring a small tub to the deck as it's a safety hazard.
Because there is a "nose under the tent" aspect to this. If they allow her to dip her toes, then the next person wants to dunk a kid to her knees, and then "just a quick dip up to the waist", and so on. The CDC, world renown experts in how infectious diseases are spread, have determined that children in swim diapers are not allowed in or near any pools not specifically designed to handle them, and that is that.
Clark, NJ, USA
8,770 Posts
Joined May 2004
Who told you that? See response #15. Perhaps whoever planned this trip might have checked into this before choosing an older ship.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Geri
Brantford, ON
2,068 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
Also, I've already been told she can't bring a small tub to the deck as it's a safety hazard.
I would bring the tub anyway, but ask someone at the time if it is okay to use. You'll probably want it for using a bath tub anyway.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
11-11-2017 "Baby's First Cruise" Bahamas - Anthem of the Seas
8-19-2016 Family Alaska cruise - Explorer of the Seas
12-24-2015 "Christmas at sea" - Independence of the Seas
8-21-2015 "The Eastern Caribbean that wasn't" - Oasis of the Seas
8-25-2014 Bahamas - Enchantment of the Seas
5-4-2014 Mexico - Navigator of the Seas
12-26-2013 Cozumel - Brilliance of the Seas
8-7-2013 British Isles - Vision of the Seas
3-10-2013 Caribbean (Jamaica, Cayman Islands, Labadee) - Independence of the Seas
8-16-2012 Bermuda/Caribbean - Explorer of the Seas
1-2-2012 Bahamas - Monarch of the Seas
8-19-2011 Alaska - Rhapsody of the Seas
3-10-2008 Bahamas - Sovereign of the Seas
10-23-2006 Eastern Caribbean - Enchantment of the Seas