Quick questions on RCCL and the Freedom specifically

I just got back from my first NCL cruise and I am off on a solo FOTS cruise soon. For once I am doing things my way. A few questions come up from my recent NCL experience:

Does RCCL charge Fort Lauderdale or Florida tax on drinks from a drink package while in port like NCL did in Miami? Not that it will make any difference, just curious.

Can you order 2 drinks at once like you could on NCL? (I have never had a drink package before, obviously). I like to have a couple shots of Bailey's on scooped ice cream for dessert, but I can keep it to one shot if I have to pay extra. And why is this not a thing already on ships? Yum.

People used to talk about Honey Stung chicken on the original Oasis Class ships. Is that an offering still?

What is open for food as soon as you board the Freedom? I know the Windjammer, of course, but if something is on offer and nice, I would try it.

What is available in the free spa area? I had hoped for a thermal suite, but I did not do all the research before I booked this non refundable cruise. I think I will be able to handle it though. :cool:

I see that you can order the Chops filet in the MDRs, but I doubt if I will eat in the MDR at all. I think the buffet on the freedom is great (we cruised on her in 2012). Can you order the filet in the windjammer and pay the upcharge? I know, I could go to chops, but I am not a fan of prolonged meals and will be alone and reading a book while I eat.

Thanks in advance for your answers!

RC does not charge sales tax on packages purchased in port.

One drink at a time per package.

You may find honey stung chicken on the room service menu, but I've not seen it in Windjammer for quite a while.

Fitness Center has free showers, sauna, and steam room.

Thought of another question. Do they show any first run or kind of new movies in an indoor theater and are all the movies on the big screen outside at night kiddie movies? We were docked in Nassau one day on the Escape and our ship was going to show Pirates of the Caribbean 3 that night and the carnival ship across the way was showing it that day. I just like movies but I am totally not in to minions. I would watch Shreks again, though.

Thought of another question. Do they show any first run or kind of new movies in an indoor theater and are all the movies on the big screen outside at night kiddie movies? We were docked in Nassau one day on the Escape and our ship was going to show Pirates of the Caribbean 3 that night and the carnival ship across the way was showing it that day. I just like movies but I am totally not in to minions. I would watch Shreks again, though.

This is the kind of thing that can change cruise to cruise, but in general most movies are shown on the poolside outdoor display. They used to show some 3D movies in the main theater, but I'm not sure if this is still done.

Thought of another question. Do they show any first run or kind of new movies in an indoor theater and are all the movies on the big screen outside at night kiddie movies?

Bob has already answered your questions, but you can always email Royal Caribbean at web_reservations@rccl.com to obtain a list of entertainment (including films) onboard prior to your cruise.

Here's a recent Cruise Compass for a December 2017 itinerary very close to yours (Antigua instead of St. Maarten). To add onto KiwiGal117's response, it looks as if Chops is also open on embarkation day in addition to the restaurants she mentioned.

• 2 months later...
Chops filet available in the MDR? Nobody answered & he/she should be back by now. Were you able to verify this inquiry?

Chops filet is available in the MDR. I believe the cost is $16.95 plus gratuity. I would not think it is possible to order in the Windjammer.

Chops filet is available in the MDR. I believe the cost is $16.95 plus gratuity. I would not think it is possible to order in the Windjammer.

Thanks for the reply. My 15 yo son will probably order the chops filet every night...LOL

My son-in-law only drinks Vodka neat. He was able to order double Goose neat with his drink package in late March. Also,my daughter ordered Kahlua for her ice cream and they brought her a good amount of it; too much. I don't think the double Bailey's will be an issue for dessert.

~snip~

You may find honey stung chicken on the room service menu, but I've not seen it in Windjammer for quite a while.

Honey stung chicken was offered in the WJ on the Brilliance TA a month ago.

I sailed Freedom in December.

No specialty restaurants were open for embarkation lunch.

The bars don't have ice cream. If they make a drink that needs ice cream, they have to go elsewhere to get it.

The bartenders in front of Windjammer were the best. Great personality and they really knew their stuff.

I did not make it into the spa except for a quick walk around the lobby.