Would you cruise on a ship on which English wasn't the predominant language?

Would you cruise on a luxury ship in which English wasn't the predominant language?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Would you cruise on a luxury ship in which English wasn't the predominant language?

• Yes, absolutely. It's a different experience.
    • Yes, absolutely. I'd look forward to immersing myself in other cultures.
    • Maybe. I'm more concerned with itinerary and price than what languages are spoken.
    • No, I really enjoy cruising in my own culture, and hearing my own language.
    • Other (please comment below)

What exactly prevents a native English speaker from learning a little of the predominant language they will encounter prior to going on holiday?

As I have found from experience, just speaking a little of their own language to someone can be a great 'ice breaker' and, if nothing else, demonstrates that one does not expect all foreigners should learn English.

I don't expect them to learn English, nor do I want to try to carry on conversations in other languages that I don't or can barely speak. Which I why I prefer a cruise where English is the major language. Solves that problem entirely.

ducklite's post made me wonder if non-English speaking passengers prefer not sailing on a ship that is almost 100% English speaking. The more I think about it the more I question why a German company with predominately German passengers would want to draw English speaking customers. I understand the money end of it, but wouldn't it lessen the experience for their current customers?

I'm happy that we have choices. I have no doubt that there will be more cruise lines catering to specific groups. As wonderful as a true international luxury cruise line would be, I don't see how a small luxury cruise line could cater to the tastes and languages worldwide. Just my opinion.

Not sure how one would hold a conversation with other guests that cannot speak English.

For me, it is no different to being on a foreign land based holiday, and exploring on one's own.

One meets residents who don't speak English, but a little knowledge of their language, together with an appropriate dictionary, and it is surprising the progress one can make.

If anything, smartphone foreign language Apps have made life considerably easier both to learn a language, and converse.

I would be fine with this as long as some English was spoken. In other words, I would not sail on a cruise line where none of the staff speaks english, where only a handful of passengers speak english, and where menus were not in english. As long as there is a balance I am fine and for me a balance would be to have staff and at least say 25% of the guests who speak english.

I do enjoy traveling with people from a wide range of countries because to me travel is about discovery.

Keith

Edited by Keith1010

• 4 weeks later...

;I've just read the thread on Europa 2 and am on my way to the Hapag-Lloyd website to check out their cruises. My all-time favorite vacation was a 10 day stay at a sanatorium-spa on the Black Sea coast south of Yalta; what an adventure it was! No one on the premises spoke English so I could wander all around the grounds (it had been a summer palace of one of the Russian Grand Dukes before the Revolution) and search for traces of the previous royal occupants without having to get into conversations or become involved in any activities. I had only one word in Russian - spasibo (thank you) - and that and a great big smile got me through my stay very nicely!

Europa 2 sounds like just my style! ;)

I completely understand visiting a country where most people do not speak English. We did that for about 15 years and really enjoyed ourselves. Once we started luxury cruising, our requirements changed. Sitting in the lounge or at dinner with non-English speaking passengers teaches me nothing whatsoever. I truly hope that Europa 2 does well but it should not depend upon U.S. and Canadian passengers to be successful. Just my opinion.

Hi, NYCRUISR. We've done two cruises in Europe on MSC and loved them both! Have a great trip.

Carolyn

We will be cruising on the MSC Preziosa, departing from Marseille following a trip to London and Paris. It will be seven nights in ports we have yet to have been to with the exception of Naples. So we will see Genoa, Messina, La Goulette, Tunisia, and Barcelona as well as our departing city of Marseille.

A new adventure for sure. Last time was 12 days with Princess so language was not a problem for us then.

Great point, Travelcat2. I daresay that Hapag-Lloyd's not counting on English-speaking pax to make the ship work. But I think it would like an easier way to fill up the ship!

Carolyn

I completely understand visiting a country where most people do not speak English. We did that for about 15 years and really enjoyed ourselves. Once we started luxury cruising, our requirements changed. Sitting in the lounge or at dinner with non-English speaking passengers teaches me nothing whatsoever. I truly hope that Europa 2 does well but it should not depend upon U.S. and Canadian passengers to be successful. Just my opinion.

• 3 months later...

Very interesting thread. My partner and I have lived in Paris, and have traveled extensively internationally. I now speak a lot of French, but when we first lived in Paris, my communications were minimal. In other countries (Albania?) even more limited. Still I am always able to enjoy and learn from whatever is around me, challenge myself, experience the other culture; language is culture. The best way I can put it is that the experience among non-English speakers is simply different, neither better nor worse, just different. We would be very open to travel on a cruise where English is not the first language. We would simply have different expectations. We like meeting other folks on board, but extensive conversations day-in and day-out is not our first priority. And one would always, always be able to find some English speakers to have in-depth conversations with. So this is my enthusiastic vote, "yes!"

Hi, tv24. Love the way you expressed this!

Carolyn

Very interesting thread. My partner and I have lived in Paris, and have traveled extensively internationally. I now speak a lot of French, but when we first lived in Paris, my communications were minimal. In other countries (Albania?) even more limited. Still I am always able to enjoy and learn from whatever is around me, challenge myself, experience the other culture; language is culture. The best way I can put it is that the experience among non-English speakers is simply different, neither better nor worse, just different. We would be very open to travel on a cruise where English is not the first language. We would simply have different expectations. We like meeting other folks on board, but extensive conversations day-in and day-out is not our first priority. And one would always, always be able to find some English speakers to have in-depth conversations with. So this is my enthusiastic vote, "yes!"

• 5 weeks later...

Blackwhip, I love your attitude! I've done Hapag-Lloyd's Europa (one, not two) twice, and had a good time each cruise. Checked out Europa 2 this summer (my review is done, but in the production queue, so coming up soon) and it was more my "style" (i.e. somewhat younger more modern vibe). Liked it very much.

We just got off Compagnie du Ponant's Le Soleal; it's a French line trying to do the same kind of expansion to the English speaking market that Hapag-Lloyd is. But the onboard experience is really different, with the biggest differences being that Europa 2 is like a fabulous contemporary boutique hotel that floats. And Le Soleal (and its two identical sisters, Le Boreal and L'Austral) are a wonderful combo of soft adventure and expedition cruising along with riverboat-sized intimacy. Both excellent, but different.

Carolyn

;I've just read the thread on Europa 2 and am on my way to the Hapag-Lloyd website to check out their cruises. My all-time favorite vacation was a 10 day stay at a sanatorium-spa on the Black Sea coast south of Yalta; what an adventure it was! No one on the premises spoke English so I could wander all around the grounds (it had been a summer palace of one of the Russian Grand Dukes before the Revolution) and search for traces of the previous royal occupants without having to get into conversations or become involved in any activities. I had only one word in Russian - spasibo (thank you) - and that and a great big smile got me through my stay very nicely!

Europa 2 sounds like just my style! ;)