Considering Windstar but Hesitant

CruiseRook91

Last summer we were on Legend again with Windstar. The cruise before ours was the Iceland cruise you mentioned. There were a few passengers who were on that sailing and they and the crew shared stories of getting caught in a storm, having to hunker down in a protected bay (I want to say it was off the coast of Scotland but don't quote me). They were pretty much all in agreement that it was very scary. The storm was quite extreme and not the usual but I guess it can happen.

We were on this cruise. I was told the seas were 25 feet. We left Bergen a bit early. The captain wanted to book it across the North Sea so we could shelter behind an island which I think was in Ireland. We could see several tankers around us doing the same thing.

They managed to serve a breakfast, minus most of the buffet. I had a bite and returned to our cabin. I was not seasick myself nor were any of the other three in our group. We were rocking and rolling but it was possible (if not pleasant) to walk while holding on. Every item in the public spaces, like chairs, was lashed together and tied to the ship. We were not scared. We did miss Isle of Man port due to the storm.

Many years ago we were on HAL when a surprise storm wound up in the Caribbean. Seas were reported as 12-14 feet. I felt much worse on that one than this time. It could be that we had a cabin on a high upper deck and the movement was magnified.

Looking at star Breeze for an April crossing

https://www.windstarcruises.com/cruise/ocean-crossings/ocean-crossings/?id=112&sid=1593

I been on Celebrity s-class ships for 5 crossings and was think about this cruise

I getting a knee replaced mid Dec so I should be pretty Mobile by than

With getting an OV room is there enough public space to sit around , the one cruise we did on Azamara I found it crowded on sea days by outside public areas

Sorry about your knee; I'll be doing the same in a couple of years. Your cabin size will make no difference in the amount of outdoor space available to you. There are no balconies with the exception of the six or so suites.

We did not feel a lack of outdoor spaces on the Legend. However we prefer the outdoor areas on the Windsurf.

Fab choice for a honeymoon. Why would you need other things to do onboard?! If they do Liars Club any evening, don't miss it, great fun. Its known as 'Call my Bluff' in the UK. Windstar is our favourite, you will have a great time.

Thinking about a Windstar cruise (sailing ships) four our 30th anniversary in 2019. Everything I am reading on this post confirms our thoughts. Looking for the smaller ship experience, getting to know other passengers, great food, great itineraries, etc. We are in our mid-50's, and do not want all the water parks, obnoxious pool games, etc.

Thanks, Pudgesmom for filling in the blanks. Twenty five foot waves?! You are a survivor. I would have had a heart attack. :D It was a crazy storm. We experienced some of it while in Ireland pre-cruise. I thought I was going to blow off the promenade in Galway because the winds were so strong.

But to anyone pondering - Is Windstar the right cruise for me/us? I have to add that it was our first cruise with them and it won't be our last. We loved the ship, the crew, the passengers and the food. It was a memorable cruise for sure.

Hello All,

I have cruised on the major lines before (RCI,Carnival,Disney) and my fiance and I are considering a Windstar for our honeymoon but I am a little hesitant due to the great itineraries and what seems like a great romantic option. I am just not sure what there is to do on the ship. What is the pool like? Are there planned activities? Etc. I see a lot of posts about food but I am curious about what activities there are on-board.

Thanks, Sam

First of all, congrats to you and your bride. You didn't share your age(s). Generally, I think you will find an older crowd on this cruise. But we will be as young at heart as you and your bride! Regardless, I cannot imagine you are considering a honeymoon cruise for its on ship activities. Or hanging out at the pool with a bunch of singles. Or pre-planned group activities. If I am incorrect, just stop reading now.

But if I am correct, this will be a perfect, once in a lifetime excursion for you and your bride to experience. The cruise will be like nothing you have ever experienced before with your traditional larger cruise lines. And isn't this exactly what you're looking for?

First of all, it's Tahiti. Who hasn't dreamed of a trip of a lifetime to Tahiti? And if that includes you and your bride to be, you then have only two cruise options; Windstar or Paul Gaugin (Paul Gaugin will have twice the number of passengers, on a larger ship, and I think the price will be higher than on Windstar). With Windstar, you're going to have all the privacy you will crave for. Only 142 guests, maximum. And roughly 100 staff whose purpose for being is to cater to your every need. Room service every day or night? Just ask, and for no charge. An intimate outdoor "Candles" dinner one night on the ship's deck with no more than 20+ other guests? No charge. A day on a private, remote motu (island) with no more than 140 other guests. Check (if you cannot find somewhere on an island to be alone with your bride, there's something very wrong)! Another day on another private motu in Bora Bora with a private Tahitian dancing troup performing just for you. Check again! Free use of snorkel equipment, paddle boards, kayaks, wave boards or just laying on floating pads on the surface of a lagoon behind the ship. Check again! No reservations required for breakfast or dinner, and no waiting for a table - even for just two if that be your choice. No reservations to take a tender into port on your time. It's all about you.

There's really nothing else like it and I suspect that once you and your wife complete the cruise, you will never, never go back to a cruise on one of the major lines (RCI, Carnival, Disney).

My recommendation is that rather than taking an all inclusive package (air, hotel, transfers, the cruise) through Windstar, only book the cruise. Purchase the air separately (after all, Windstar has priced $1,500/person just for the air portion into their all inclusive price and you should be able to find air transportation on your own for less). And then incorporate an extension (or pre-cruise excursion) in Moorea and/or Bora Bora. Since you will have already paid for air transportation to Tahiti, why not take advantage of these two wonderful islands which are just waiting for you? Especially since it will be your honeymoon, my recommendation is that you stay at the Sofitel on Moorea, and either (depending upon how much more you want to spend) the Intercontinental Thalasso, St. Regis or Four Seasons on Bora Bora. Each is a very, very intimate resort with its own beautiful, private beaches. Even though these are all pricey options, most of these hotels offer a buy three nights and get the fourth night free option. And if you can afford one of those picture post card over the water ("OTW") bungalows at one or more of these hotels, it just doesn't get any more romantic...ANYWHERE, ANYTIME. Make sure you get a travel agent who has been to Tahiti several times and can recommend all the ins and outs on the road to paradise.

So in conclusion, I really don't understand your hesitancy. This will be your trip of a lifetime to your destination of a lifetime with hopefully your partner of a lifetime. Now how can you put a price on this? Good luck, and please let us know what you decide.

Edited by skitrips

Nicely written and exactly my thinking.

7 days is not enough like you wrote. We stayed 4 days in Moorea and 5 days in Papeete pre-cruise (during the Heiva) and do not regret a single thing. We went for somewhat cheaper lodging to extend our stay - Les Tipaniers in Moorea and Airbnb in Papeete. We had 2 or 3 newlywed couple on our cruise (July 2017) and I think they had a blast.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I cannot imagine you are considering a honeymoon cruise for its on ship activities. Or hanging out at the pool with a bunch of singles. Or pre-planned group activities. If I am incorrect, just stop reading now.

Wtih Windstar, you're going to have all the privacy you will crave.

Good luck, and please let us know what you decide.

Although I can't imagine newlyweds not wanting a more private intimate experience, either, the fact that the OP hasn't replied to this thread for awhile makes me think that must be the case. Some people are just very extroverted and enjoy being surrounded by people, activity and entertainment. The fact that they have enjoyed their experiences on big cruise ships would indicate that the very things that attract us to Windstar and make us avoid the big cruise ships are the things that make them hesitant about Windstar.

• 4 weeks later...

After sailing the Windsurf last year, I can't imagine ever doing a big ship again. (unless kids are involved).

Food and service was outstanding on the Windsurf. Enough places to relax on the ship. Never felt crowded. Easy to meet people on such a small boat as well (although that may not be your objective).

Thank you for all the advice information. I am still deciding if this is for us but it sounds nothing short of spectacular. I feel like being in our mid-20's we might be out of place.

Did my first Windstar cruise, out of Tahiti, the end of August into Sept. 2017. It was phenomenal! Indeed most of the fellow passengers were 50 - 70+ years old but there were also three, young honeymoon couples and one young family with three children. Most importantly, everyone, regardless of age or "status" enjoyed each others company. The crew and staff would stand on their heads for you if it would make your trip even more enjoyable!

On the Spirit, evening entertainment was limited but on the night of the BBQ, they cleared the deck after we ate and EVERYONE had a great time line dancing and of course "getting down" with YMCA - we old people still enjoy a good time.

Swimming. snorkeling, kayaking, and just relaxing in the water right off the back of the vessel was great. They will even put a zodiac in the water and let you water ski if you wish.

Don't think you'll be disappointed with Windstar. :)