Hotels Boston

bbcruiser

Taking Montreal to Boston cruise and staying overnight in July. Wondering about hotels. Considering Sheraton and Westin in BackBay or Intercontinental near Boston Harbor. Any recommendations? Looked at the Lennox, but out of my price range.

How is transportation to airport from these hotels?

Thanks in advance

Would like the answer to this also regarding "specific" hotels for our 1 1/2 day pre cruise out of Boston..No highjack intended have only seen general area responses to this question..First time to Boston so "areas" give me no clue :confused::)

Taking Montreal to Boston cruise and staying overnight in July. Wondering about hotels. Considering Sheraton and Westin in BackBay or Intercontinental near Boston Harbor. Any recommendations? Looked at the Lennox, but out of my price range.

How is transportation to airport from these hotels?

Thanks in advance

I'm guessing your date is 7/14. The best strategy for Boston is Hotwire because it is usually very easy to narrow down the possible hotels. For your date there is :

1) 4.5* hotel for $200 + tax - likely to be the Intercontinental or the Langham in the Quincy Market district.

2) 4* hotel for $174 + tax - highly likely to be the Westin Convention Center in the Waterfront area close to the port.

3) 3.5* hotel for $191 + tax - highly likely to be the Sheraton in Back Bay.

The first two hotels would be a quick cab ride to Logan Airport. The Sheraton is further away, but a quick trip in the Mass Pike and through the tunnel to the airport. I'd go with #1 or #3. The Westin is just fine, but there's not much action around the hotel.

Would like the answer to this also regarding "specific" hotels for our 1 1/2 day pre cruise out of Boston..No highjack intended have only seen general area responses to this question..First time to Boston so "areas" give me no clue :confused::)

What is your exact date or dates? What is your budget? Are you flying or driving? Hotwire is the way to go if there are deals for your date. I watch these hotels all the time and have a good track record predicting the hotel. What do you plan to do in Boston?

What is your exact date or dates? What is your budget? Are you flying or driving? Hotwire is the way to go if there are deals for your date. I watch these hotels all the time and have a good track record predicting the hotel. What do you plan to do in Boston?

Oct 19th & 20th mid afternoon arrival flight from JFK...Our budget is very flexible..We have never been to Boston and with such a short visit we are open to suggestions to see as much as possible in one day, which would be Saturday. Our cruise then leaves on Sunday the 21st. We are spending a week pre-cruise in NYC with family so no time to spend any more pre cruise in Boston and then must fly back to the west coast day of cruise return..Thanks so much for your time and any advice.

We're on the Oct 14 cruise. We only have all day Saturday to tour also. Last time we booked the Old Town Trolley for the day and enjoyed it. This time we booked a private tour guide so we can see a bit more of downtown Boston. I can get you his email if you want.

Last time (2008), we stayed at the Hilton at the airport. We won it on Priceline. It had a free shuttle to the water taxi stand at the Hyatt. We took the water taxi over to Long Wharf. Had lunch at Legal Seafood and got on the trolley tour. That was post cruise. (Precruise we bid and won the Seaport near the ship).

This time we have a reservation at the Embassy Suites at the airport. We may try our luck bidding on Priceline again. Embassy is 199 per night and fully cancellable.

As far as areas, I don't know a lot about Boston, but I've heard the theater district is not so desirable.....not my words, just what I've read here on Cruise Critic.

Well, have fun planning your trip!

Yep. Getting in on 7/14 and leaving in the late afternoon 7/15.

I had been to Boston a couple of times in the 90s, but not since. I am familiar with the T, so hope to stay somewhere close to a T station. My sister is traveling with me and it's her first time, so we may opt to do the trolley tour too.

I was thinking the Westin Copley Place, Intercontinental, or Sheraton Back Bay. I can book the Westin on aa.com for $234. I prefer to book the specific hotel, instead of bidding on an unknown hotel.

My budget is flexible, but it would be nice to keep it under $300 for our night's stay and have a hotel convenient to the airport. We'd be willing to hire a town car, taxi, or shuttle to the airport if it isn't too expensive.

Thanks for your help 138east :)

Any hotel in Boston with "airport" in it's name is not going to be near any attractions.

Any hotel in Boston with "airport" in it's name that isn't the Logan Hilton or Hyatt isn't going to be in a very nice area.

$300/night will get you a wide selection in the city. Figure out what you want to see, and pick an area to stay in: Back Bay/Copley, Faneuil Hall/North End/Waterfront, Theater District, are all areas with multiple options. Of course with the "T", you can get from any of these areas to any other areas with little muss/fuss. They all have nearby stations.

The airport is on the "T", so getting from Boston to the airport is not an issue to be concerned with.

Any hotel in Boston with "airport" in it's name is not going to be near any attractions.

Any hotel in Boston with "airport" in it's name that isn't the Logan Hilton or Hyatt isn't going to be in a very nice area.

$300/night will get you a wide selection in the city. Figure out what you want to see, and pick an area to stay in: Back Bay/Copley, Faneuil Hall/North End/Waterfront, Theater District, are all areas with multiple options. Of course with the "T", you can get from any of these areas to any other areas with little muss/fuss. They all have nearby stations.

The airport is on the "T", so getting from Boston to the airport is not an issue to be concerned with.

So Embassy Suites is in a bad area? I think they advertise a shuttle over to the Hyatt to the water taxi stand. But we will probably have our tour guide pick us up at the hotel. We won't really be walking around the Embassy Area except to get in the shuttle.

Oct 19th & 20th mid afternoon arrival flight from JFK...Our budget is very flexible..We have never been to Boston and with such a short visit we are open to suggestions to see as much as possible in one day, which would be Saturday. Our cruise then leaves on Sunday the 21st. We are spending a week pre-cruise in NYC with family so no time to spend any more pre cruise in Boston and then must fly back to the west coast day of cruise return..Thanks so much for your time and any advice.

I don't know what's going on that weekend, but prices are out of sight. The best I'm seeing on Kayak is the Omni Parker House and the Hyatt Regency for about $300. The Hilton Airport is a bit less. There are some 4* hotels on Hotwire under $300 - we could research them for you if you like.

You may want to book a refundable room and monitor Hotwire. If the Red Sox were to be in the American League playoffs, it's possible that the games would be in Boston around Oct 19-21, which means hotels could be holding back rooms just in case. I've seen rooms for that time period come available later in the season when the Red Sox aren't doing well.

So Embassy Suites is in a bad area? I think they advertise a shuttle over to the Hyatt to the water taxi stand. But we will probably have our tour guide pick us up at the hotel. We won't really be walking around the Embassy Area except to get in the shuttle.

Forgot about that one. East Boston (there) isn't a bad area, but it's on the wrong side of the tunnel for a tourist, and there's nothing significant to see there (good places to eat, though). I would never recommend someone unfamiliar with the city, with limited time, stay in East Boston.

Stay in the city. The Theater District is not a bad area (it's a few blocks from the tiny bit remaining of the old "Combat Zone", but honestly, you'd have to look pretty hard to find the Zone), and wasting time commuting through the tunnel or on the water taxi is not something I'd advise a friend to do.

Yep. Getting in on 7/14 and leaving in the late afternoon 7/15.

I had been to Boston a couple of times in the 90s, but not since. I am familiar with the T, so hope to stay somewhere close to a T station. My sister is traveling with me and it's her first time, so we may opt to do the trolley tour too.

I was thinking the Westin Copley Place, Intercontinental, or Sheraton Back Bay. I can book the Westin on aa.com for $234. I prefer to book the specific hotel, instead of bidding on an unknown hotel.

My budget is flexible, but it would be nice to keep it under $300 for our night's stay and have a hotel convenient to the airport. We'd be willing to hire a town car, taxi, or shuttle to the airport if it isn't too expensive.

Thanks for your help 138east :)

We really enjoy the Westin Copley Place. It's our preferred hotel when in Boston. We've also stayed at the Sheraton Back Bay and that was fine too but the Westin is just a little better located. It's connected to indoor shopping, just a short walk to the T (subway), Newberry Street and Constitution Ave. Very nice neighborhood. The library is right across the street and it has a nice outdoor courtyard in the middle.

Hi Paylady,

Would you reserve directly through the hotel or a third party website. There's a good deal on aa.com, but the credit card is charged instantly and I am used them just using the cc to reserve and charge after we check out :mad:

Forgot about that one. East Boston (there) isn't a bad area, but it's on the wrong side of the tunnel for a tourist, and there's nothing significant to see there (good places to eat, though). I would never recommend someone unfamiliar with the city, with limited time, stay in East Boston.

Stay in the city. The Theater District is not a bad area (it's a few blocks from the tiny bit remaining of the old "Combat Zone", but honestly, you'd have to look pretty hard to find the Zone), and wasting time commuting through the tunnel or on the water taxi is not something I'd advise a friend to do.

Thanks for the info. Not sure what we are going to do. We are staying 2 nights so it can be a major investment. If it comes up to extra time versus extra money, we may do the extra time route. I'd love to stay in the Marriott right there on Long Wharf but they are asking over 500 a night. Eek. October must be premium time.

Thanks for the info. Not sure what we are going to do. We are staying 2 nights so it can be a major investment. If it comes up to extra time versus extra money, we may do the extra time route. I'd love to stay in the Marriott right there on Long Wharf but they are asking over 500 a night. Eek. October must be premium time.

I have found that the Marriott, if you book with aa.com is $154 per night. It is the one in Copley Square. I'm just not sure about aa.com since you have to pay in advance. I think it is about $249/night if you book it through their website. If you can get a reservation by calling the hotel (they only sent me to their national reservation line when I tried the WEstin), I would give it a try. My sister-in-law has gotten some deals by calling the hotel directly in the past (mostly they are at the Sheraton hotels).

I hope this helps. If you check out the thread on East Coast departure (and search Hotels Boston), there's a thread that talks about booking the Marriott Copley Square via their website, then submitting a "Look no Further" claim form where you can show them that aa.com has their room for a lower price and they will match it and give an additional 25% discount (someone on that thread was able to get the hotel for $114/night). You might want to give that a try.

I kind of have my heart set on the Westin, myself, and the above strategy did not work with them :(

Hi Paylady,

Would you reserve directly through the hotel or a third party website. There's a good deal on aa.com, but the credit card is charged instantly and I am used them just using the cc to reserve and charge after we check out :mad:

It's been eons since I've booked through a third party website. I just book directly with the Westin. Sorry I can't advise you on this one.

October is leaf peeping and Parents Weekend at all the colleges. Find the best refundable rate you can at any of the 15-18 In the City hotels, and then keep your eyes open for a better rate down the road. There's nothing better than knowing you can go back to your hotel in mid day to change clothes, or take a nap, and that you're not going to have to take multiple forms of public transit to get there (and back again when you're recharged)

Does anyone know about this hotel? I happened upon it doing a web search. It sounds like a nice boutique hotel with good service. It is across from a T station and was wondering what you think location wise for this hotel?

Thanks in advance.

Does anyone know about this hotel? I happened upon it doing a web search. It sounds like a nice boutique hotel with good service. It is across from a T station and was wondering what you think location wise for this hotel?

Thanks in advance.

I googled to find the location........ ;)

It is walkable to Quincy Market and North End without over exertion.

Being near a T stop makes it easy for you to get around Boston. Boston is not that large a city and nothing is all THAT far away.

I am not familiar with the hotel but agree its description sounds pretty decent.

We really enjoy the Westin Copley Place. It's our preferred hotel when in Boston. We've also stayed at the Sheraton Back Bay and that was fine too but the Westin is just a little better located. It's connected to indoor shopping, just a short walk to the T (subway), Newberry Street and Constitution Ave. Very nice neighborhood. The library is right across the street and it has a nice outdoor courtyard in the middle.

We are going to book the Westin, probably through their website.

Paylady, would you recommend a package with breakfast or are there plenty of breakfast places within walking distance of the hotel that you like? Our flight the next day doesn't leave until 6 PM, so we will not be in a rush to leave the next morning.

I googled to find the location........ ;)

It is walkable to Quincy Market and North End without over exertion.

Being near a T stop makes it easy for you to get around Boston. Boston is not that large a city and nothing is all THAT far away.

I am not familiar with the hotel but agree its description sounds pretty decent.

For those looking for Boston hotels, even though the Ames seems to be a nice hotel in a nice location, I did find a review that said the walls are thin and there is usually a young and loud crowd that comes to their restaurant on weekend nights which might not be desirable for light sleepers (especially ones who have early flights the next morning). That was a bit disappointing to see, since I am staying a Saturday night.

For folks staying an extra night in Boston and flying out late the next day, look at the Rowes Wharf water taxi to the airport. They have a luggage storage facility and will keep you luggage during the day if you book the airport water taxi with them. http://www.roweswharfwatertransport.com/RWWT_2010/HOME.html

You can check out of the hotel, take a cab to Rowes Wharf, and dump all your stuff there for the day - this is very convenient to the waterfront, Aquarium, and Quincy Market. Then you don't have to fuss with getting back to your hotel to pick up luggage and taking a cab to Logan.

Archived