South Beach Dieters Group Meet Here!

WeirdEyes

Hey everyone on the Beach! I'm starting this new thread because our old one seems to have disappeared due to the new boards.

I made the BEST cookies on Tuesday and they are LEGAL on Phase 2. Here's the recipe:

Gooey Chocolate/Peanut Butter Cookies

3 Cups Old Fashioned Oats

2/3 Cup Natural Peanut Butter

1/2 Cup Chopped Peanuts (Optional)

2 Cups Splenda

1/2 Cup or 1 Stick of Smart Balance

1/2 Cup of Skim or 1% Milk

1/3 Cup Hershey's Unsweetened Cocoa

2 tsp Vanilla Flavoring

Continued....

Recipe continued...

Line cookie sheet with wax paper or foil. Measure oats, peanut butter and peanuts and set aside. Combine Splenda, Smart Balance, milk and cocoa in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture comes to a rolling boil. Remove from heat. Add oats, peanut butter, peanuts and vanilla. Stir quickly, mixing well. Immediately drop mixture by heaping tsp onto wax paper or foil and cool. Store in a cool, dry place. Makes about 2 dozen. Enjoy!

Why did I have to break up this thread???? Are we limited to the length of our posts? The previous post wouldn't let me go any further. Sorry!

I'm new to South Beach, after switching over from Atkins. I've lost a total of 19 pounds so far (17 on Atkins), and feel much better now that I'm on this new diet.

I'll have to try the cookies in Phase 2. I'm sticking with Phase 1 for another week.

Thanks again!

Hi Shelia and all you other SB dieters. It is a little confusing on these new boards, but hopefully we will get used to it soon. Thanks for starting a new thread for us.

Rose

Hi Betsy & Rose! Glad to hear from you.

Betsy, congrats on losing sooo much weight and welcome to our thread. :o)

Rose, how are you doing? I'm not doing so well right now with South Beach. I'm trying, but ever snce my cruise, I've been cheating here and there. Why is it so hard to get back on program? We are leaving for Universal Orlando next Saturday and I promise to do much better once we return. I now have 15 lbs to lose to reach 140 by my 40th birthday.

Hi all! DH and I have been on SB since March 1. I have no idea how many pounds I've lost since I was afraid to get on the scale. DH has lost about 20 pounds and I've lost a few sizes. Old, "thinner", clothes are fitting and I had to go shopping for clothes for our upcoming cruise! :D

Those cookies sound great. My concern, though, is that the recipe says it makes about 2 dozen cookies. To me that can equal one serving. :eek:

Thanks, Sheila. Was your cruise wonderful?

I've stuck pretty close to what I call Phase 1 1/2. I've added in some wine :) , fruit :) :) , oatmeal and a few other good carbs here and there. We leave for a cruise in less than 3 weeks. I'm terrified that if I go off SB I won't be able to get myself back on. Someone had suggested asking the waiters to bring a plate of veggies right when we sit down to dinner. That should help with the bread. Does anyone know how legal the sugar-free desserts and ice cream are?

Helene

Hi Helene! I had a wonderful cruise! I can't wait to go back. :D

It was hard for me to even try to stick with South Beach during the cruise. I did eat the sugar-free desserts when I could. However, there aren't many options such as whole wheat products. If the sugar-free dessert is a cheesecake, it will South Beach friendly. If it is a cake of sorts, it will not. Good luck with sticking to your diet while on the cruise. I'm still struggling getting back on the Beach. :(

My suggestion is: enjoy your cruise and don't worry about what you put in your mouth. If you gain 5 lbs, it will come off. Just be carefree and don't fret about it. :)

I'm so happy to find this again! I've started back with phase 1 and lost 6 1/2 of the 9 pounds I'd regained this summer. This is another family reunion weekend though so I'll be hanging on by the fingertips on Sunday. At least it's only 1 meal not the whole weekend like my family's reunion. Still, I'm glad that this is the last one because I really want to lose another 30 by my birthday. That would put me at a total of 60 lost and only 20 to go before Christmas!

Tami

Hi,

I 'm starting phase 1 again, we went to Louisiana last week to register our son for his first year of college. While I was down there I blew it big time but I back in Phase 1 now, I like the Phase 1 1/2 idea that would be even easier for me.

I lost 16 lbs in a terrible month in March on SB but quit.. mainly because I cannot stand artificial sweetner of any kind.. I use mint from my herb garden in tea to cut down on sugar (only 1-2 glasses a day) and found some sugar-free cookies on QVC and at Walgreens that are good but ohter than that... eat tons of veggies and grilled meat and fish and will have the 16 off again by Sept. but does anyone else dislike artificial sweetner as much and what did you do about it.???? Have the SB food list paperback and go by it a lot which helps but the sweetner thing....:(

Before starting South Beach I didn't have much of a sweet tooth. I could go weeks without cookies, cake, candy and other desserts. Once I started eating them, though, stopping was nearly impossible. Bread and pasta were another story--I was positive that I'd never be able to live without them. Guess I was wrong! :)

The strange thing is that since starting SB I find I'm having sweet cravings. They're easily satisfied by ricotta cream or a cappuccino with Splenda so, as long as there's a Starbuck's nearby, I'm safe! ;)

Caroline - what sweetener do the sugar-free cookies you like have in them? Maybe it's something you can buy if you feel you need the sweetener. I guess you've tried Splenda and don't like that either? There's also a sweetener called stevia. I don't know much about it but a google search turned up some interesting information.

http://www.stevia.net/

Good luck, everyone, and enjoy the rest of the weekend!

Helene

Well today I joined south beach on line. Looks like a great site, and easier to do on the computer at home then WW every week. Seems great so far. Missed the bread at breakfast but I will get used to it. My cruise is in 16 1/2 weeks and I would like to loose 30 LBS. Is that an unrealistic goal on south beach?

:o

Caroline - what sweetener do the sugar-free cookies you like have in them? Maybe it's something you can buy if you feel you need the sweetener. I guess you've tried Splenda and don't like that either? There's also a sweetener called stevia. I don't know much about it but a google search turned up some interesting information.

http://www.stevia.net/

Good luck, everyone, and enjoy the rest of the weekend!

Helene

Maltitol is the name of the sweetner in these: They come in a bunch of flavors- brownies are actually very very good and pecan choc chip taste like pecan sandies... they are bite size but really really satisfy a sweet tooth. You can find them at QVC.com if you just to search for "low carb cookies"

M10275.jpg

Hi all....I am not doing as well on SBD as I should be. My initial weight loss of 18 lbs. has stayed off, but I am not losing any more. I have been very stressed lately and don't feel like eating most of the time, but still have not lost more weight.

My 24 year old son just joined the army. Although, we are, of course, proud of him, I am heartstricken at the thought of him possibly going off to war. My DH and I had hoped he would change his mind, but that is not going to happen. He will be leaving in a few weeks and I am beside myself with worry. I know that I will have to get used to it, but don't know how to accomplish that.

My DH and I leave on our cruise in 3 weeks and are very much looking forward to getting away and trying to destress.

Hope that everyone else is doing well.

Rose

Good morning everyone! I was sooooo busy this weekend, I didn't get to posts.

Denise, all I can tell you is to do the best you can on South Beach. If you don't lose 30 lbs., don't worry about it. It will come off eventually. South Beach is not a diet where you drop tons of weight right off the bat. You can lose up to 14 lbs on Phase 1, but it is not likely to happen unless you have about 100 lbs to lose....and you don't. I needed to lose 30 when I started, and I lost 20 after 5 months. Exercise will increase your weight loss dramatically. If you walk at least 2 miles a day under 30 minutes time, you should lose more. Good luck and keep the faith!

Caroline, about the artificial sweetner. I've heard that the one that Suzanne Somer's makes taste like sugar. It is expensive, but you can find it on her website.

Rose, I am sorry to hear that your son might be headed off to war. :( I would feel the same way if it was my son. I will keep him in my prayers.

Rose- I know exactly what you mean. My older little brother spent a year in Iraq, just returning to the US in April. He literally passed my younger little brother and sister-in-law in Kuwait as they were waiting to deploy. The one who is home just got word that he will be redeployed in October so it's a never ending cycle here. I don't even watch the news if I can help it.

The good part is that most of the soldiers have access to e-mail and often times a phone. At least someone in the family hears from them frequently even if they aren't letter writers.

Tami

We (DH and I) started SB 5 weeks ago today. I'm down 30, he's down 29. I still have a LONG way to go, but feel like this is doable. I'm hoping I can loose another 30 before our cruise in October (won't be overly dissapointed if not - I know we're eating healthy now, and that's really what counts). I just want to thank you all, because it was reading this (or the original) thread that got me started!

Hi all,

My wife and I began the diet last Monday, June 21st. As a meat and potatoes person (and sweet tea) this diet is testing me, but my wife loves it. Even the veggies that I like, we can't eat at this point (corn, peas) lol. Oh well, the good news is that in weighing in this morning after 1 week, I am down 6 lbs and my wife is down 5 lbs.

Looking forward to the second phase to try the cookie desert that was posted.

good luck all,

Jeff

JennyT, you are doing such a great job! You also have a great attitude about it. :)

Jeff, welcome to South Beach! Congrats on your weight loss thus far! You will lose more...just keep at it. Also, those gooey cookies are de-lish! ;)

Jeff,

You can really make good faux mashed potatoes using cauliflower. Just cook it and puree it in the food processor or blender with a little chicken stock and some parmesean or romano cheese until it's the right consistancy. It's awesome.

Also you can make sweet potato fries by cutting the potatoes in to fry sized pieces and lay them on a baking sheet. I use a pizza stone so they crisp on all sides but if you dont' have one put a cooling rack on top of the baking sheet and put the "fries" on them. Spritz them with a little pam and some salt. I also like BBQ seasoning or chili powder and cumin. You bake them at 400 for a while. Mine take about an hour but I cut them thick and the stone adds a little time. I'd check them after 20 minutes if you cut them thin and do them on a rack.

We eat turnip chips too by very thinkly slicing turnips, spritzing with pam, adding salt and then spreading them on baking sheets lined with parchment or waxed paper. Bake them at 200 for about 2 hours until they're crispy but not brown. They're salty sweet and my kids love them. You could do the same with sweet potatoes and they taste just like those pricey Terra chips.

Tami

Archived