Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Max is adorable. He knows what his job is and he will try to do it as best he can. <3.

I have the same issue that I look fine, but what they don't know is the pain I am in most of the time now. So weird, when I walk (not for any distance) it actually feels better than if I'm just standing still. So yes, sometimes I walk just to try and stretch it out. At times I feel like ripping my shirt up and showing them the 4" + scar up the middle of my back. Then telling them, "No, it didn't fix it and in the process now my left leg and hip hurt, at times that I can't make the pain go away." No, I do not like taking medication every day, but know if I don't I will be in unbearable pain. No, I am not addicted to it, trying every imaginable option to try and get off the meds. Chiropractor, massages, physical therapy, injections (I hate them and they do not work). Okay, so I get it, slowing stepping off my soap box. :D

I was telling a couple of drs recently that I rather walk a half hour than stand for ren minutes, they said that is a common report.

I got off the drugs, they just weren’t working, and I was on some high doses 180mg oxy, plus 150 Fentanyl patch.

Same issues “back” good luck with finding at least some relief. doctors keep saying I can’t go on a cruise, had to cancel 😕 4 which doesn’t help.

I was telling a couple of drs recently that I rather walk a half hour than stand for ten minutes, they said that is a common report.

I feel the same way and I don't have a service dog or a wheelchair.

I too have a problem with people cheating the system, but to be honest have as much of a problem with anyone deciding who is cheating, I’ve been abused for using a handicapped parking permit, because someone thinks I “don’t look” disabled, but I guess unless they have xRay vision they can’t see the fractures.

Same as I’ve been abused onboard because “I saw you use a wheelchair to board, now you’re walking around”. Yep because some days are diamonds some days are stones, I do and intend to go on, using the minimum I can, some days that’s a chair, some a walking frame, some day’s sticks, somedays nothing, one great thing about cruising is that there is almost always a rail to hold onto if I need to.

We are going to have the same type of situation in October. My wife is having some issues with her hip that may require somewhere down the road a replacement. She has good days and bad days. We are going to Disney World in October. I am renting her a scooter. I can't wait for people to see her hop off the scooter and help me get our handicapped daughter on a ride. But A. I'm never gonna see those people again and B. I don't give a #*&% what they say or think!!

We are going to have the same type of situation in October. My wife is having some issues with her hip that may require somewhere down the road a replacement. She has good days and bad days. We are going to Disney World in October. I am renting her a scooter. I can't wait for people to see her hop off the scooter and help me get our handicapped daughter on a ride. But A. I'm never gonna see those people again and B. I don't give a #*&% what they say or think!!

This! So MUCH THIS!

Some days I need a cane. Others I don't. Some days, Scooter is retrieving all kinds of things for me. Others I don't need him to. Some days I wear my red light filtering glasses. Other days I don't. I don't care what people say - I know my own challenges and limits.

I feel the same way and I don't have a service dog or a wheelchair.

We (hubby and I) do have a rollator that we share when we venture out to say the Boat Show or other events where there is no seating. No Service dog here, either. I just kind of adopted this thread a bazillion years ago. Love them to pieces. :hearteyes:

This! So MUCH THIS!

Some days I need a cane. Others I don't. Some days, Scooter is retrieving all kinds of things for me. Others I don't need him to. Some days I wear my red light filtering glasses. Other days I don't. I don't care what people say - I know my own challenges and limits.

Amen, DKD and Barb!

I have a service dog and a Rollator. I use the Rollator primarily for balance (my sense of balance is terrible) on long walks. Every time I go on a cruise, I rent a Rollator just for the voyage and Trooper and I burn up a couple of miles each day on the promenade deck. We do get a few puzzled looks while fellow passengers try to figure out what a hearing service dog has to do with a Rollator. No connection, of course.

He will do most of that, most of the time, still not perfect. And I’m not sure he’d like be8ng on the ship for three or four weeks.

I know how difficult it may be to believe but your dog will be happiest being by your side no matter where that is. I used to feel badly that Horton had to wait in doctor's waiting rooms or sit in small places or sleep onboard a tossing and turning ship until I was forced to stay home and recuperate from a minor surgical procedure and witnessed Horton wanting to be wherever I was, no matter where that was. As long as I was within his sights he was calm and happy.

Our Service Dogs would rather be by our side if the opposite choice was to be without us. They're are remarkably willing to and ready to keep us company in all situations. It's part of the makeup of what makes them who they are!

This is especially true of the Lab & Golden Retriever breeds. I know other breeds have this wonderful mindset as well, I just haven't had as much experience with them.

They seem to think I’ve used it to jump a queue.

I wonder how else they think I’m going to get the chair on the ship even if it’s a day I don’t need it, it’s bad enough trying to get all the equipment I need on.

That’s one thing Max is having some trouble with. He so badly wants to be close to me that sometimes he get too close to the wheels when I’m in the chair.

Avoiding wheel chairs, walkers [the one's with the tennis balls on them is the funniest to watch], closing doors, elevator doors, large dangling pocket books, children's hands and people's legs and shoes is a learning lesson for all our dogs. Give it time.

Max is adorable. He knows what his job is and he will try to do it as best he can. <3.

I have the same issue that I look fine, but what they don't know is the pain I am in most of the time now. So weird, when I walk (not for any distance) it actually feels better than if I'm just standing still. So yes, sometimes I walk just to try and stretch it out. At times I feel like ripping my shirt up and showing them the 4" + scar up the middle of my back. Then telling them, "No, it didn't fix it and in the process now my left leg and hip hurt, at times that I can't make the pain go away." No, I do not like taking medication every day, but know if I don't I will be in unbearable pain. No, I am not addicted to it, trying every imaginable option to try and get off the meds. Chiropractor, massages, physical therapy, injections (I hate them and they do not work). Okay, so I get it, slowing stepping off my soap box. :D

Nancy, I'm so sorry you're having so much difficulty with your back and leg. It's definitely not fun to have so much pain that it overwhelms your daily life.

Hang in there dear friend and know that you're not alone.

I was telling a couple of drs recently that I rather walk a half hour than stand for ren minutes, they said that is a common report.

I got off the drugs, they just weren’t working, and I was on some high doses 180mg oxy, plus 150 Fentanyl patch.

Same issues “back” good luck with finding at least some relief. doctors keep saying I can’t go on a cruise, had to cancel 😕 4 which doesn’t help.

The only time I find cruising difficult is when the ship is rocking and rolling and I can't find something to hold on to. While cruising I find that using a walker is the answer to that unstable footing thing.

I see a lot of very able bodied folks trying to find their footing at times, when the ship is moving through bumpy waters, and it makes me smile. I've had a few people hold on to my walker to stabilize themselves and that makes me smile too!

Tell wifey I totally understand. I'm going through this right now myself. The doctors don't want me to stress my right hip or leg so I'm using a walker on distances and for standing in lines.

I do find it hard in restaurants to deal with the "stares" when I park the walker and walk to the dinner table.....I want to be able to say I don't give a !@#$ but unfortunately I do! And, although I did grow my thick skin for walking with a Service Dog......I'm new at this wheeling with one thing. "Time", it all comes in time. It's another reason I love cruising so much....there are lots and lots of other folks with walkers and wheel chairs.

I wish wifey the very best and you a happy and healthy Father's Day!

This! So MUCH THIS!

Your words help to make us strong too!

We (hubby and I) do have a rollator that we share when we venture out to say the Boat Show or other events where there is no seating. No Service dog here, either. I just kind of adopted this thread a bazillion years ago. Love them to pieces. :hearteyes:

Your love and comfort have been very important to us all.

I have a service dog and a Rollator. I use the Rollator primarily for balance (my sense of balance is terrible) on long walks. Every time I go on a cruise, I rent a Rollator just for the voyage and Trooper and I burn up a couple of miles each day on the promenade deck. We do get a few puzzled looks while fellow passengers try to figure out what a hearing service dog has to do with a Rollator. No connection, of course.

Hearing issues can cause all sorts of balance problems, especially onboard a rocking and rolling hotel, it totally makes sense......

May I wish everyone a nice weekend and to all the Father's; Happy and Healthy Father's Day to all of you.

I was one of the lucky one's in life to have the most amazingly wonderful, loving and devoted father. He was a friend and a mentor to all he met. I miss his presence every single day and my memories of him sustain me and my 5 brothers and sisters.

I was just reading another post on Disabled Cruise Travel about taking your controlled substance, prescription meds with you. I hadn't thought about it, but it scares the crap out of me. I can't go without them and afraid to take them! I guess other countries have different view points on these drugs. I know it is probably a one in a gazillion chance that anything would happen, but with our luck, it would happen to us! Thoughts?

I was just reading another post on Disabled Cruise Travel about taking your controlled substance, prescription meds with you. I hadn't thought about it, but it scares the crap out of me. I can't go without them and afraid to take them! I guess other countries have different view points on these drugs. I know it is probably a one in a gazillion chance that anything would happen, but with our luck, it would happen to us! Thoughts?

Nancy, a short letter or a few words on a RX pad, signed by your primary care physician and accompanying your meds, goes a long way with Immigration officials. I always ask my Vet for a short blurb on a RX pad about Horton's emergency ear meds as well.

Greetings all, Been a rough week due to the weather rolling through every day making the migraines a mess. That said, Scooter has been a blessing. We continue to add to his skill set. He can now bring me my meds bag and a water bottle when I ask him to. I just have to remember to put the meds bag back where it belongs, and remember to put water bottles where he can get them.

Greetings all, Been a rough week due to the weather rolling through every day making the migraines a mess. That said, Scooter has been a blessing. We continue to add to his skill set. He can now bring me my meds bag and a water bottle when I ask him to. I just have to remember to put the meds bag back where it belongs, and remember to put water bottles where he can get them.

That’s wonderful, Barb! As a Roz often says, these dogs of ours are amazing.

Nancy, a short letter or a few words on a RX pad, signed by your primary care physician and accompanying your meds, goes a long way with Immigration officials. I always ask my Vet for a short blurb on a RX pad about Horton's emergency ear meds as well.

My meds are prescribed by Workers Comp doctor. Only see him once a month. He is one of the traveling dr's. We have quite a few of those up in this neck of the woods. He practices in Nevada and Arizona. I am not sure how their schedule works, they are only here every other Friday. I wonder if I get something from him, how long it would last? It wouldn't be easy to just get new letter each time I plan on leaving on vacation. Boy have these drug users sure messed up, us sane (baahahaa) peoples daily lives. Ughhh.